Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Could you proofread this Q/A? Any additional id... »
« Kreditfälligkeit zurückgeführt    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Nearly all instances of "modeling" are falsely marked [Am.]  
von narionk (US/DE), Last modified: 2014-01-23, 14:26  like dislike  Spam?  
Here's the list: dict.cc: modeling

I assume this is due to the single "L" before the "-ing". But according to Ngram, about 1/3 of the instances of this word in British English publications are spelled with only one "L".
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=modeling%2C+modelling...

Although some other dictionaries like Cambridge prefer "modelling", Oxford English also recommends spelling this word with a single "L": http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/model
Spelling rule
Do not double the final consonant when adding endings that begin with a vowel to a word that ends in a vowel plus a consonant, if the stress is not at the end of the word (as in target): (models, modeling, modeled).

What is the best way to handle this? We could replace [Am.] with [esp. Am.], but is that worth it? See this forum entry: http://forum.dict.cc/?pagenum=14316&hilite=712379&kw=#entry...
In this case, it seems to be quite common in British English, so I think it's best to re-open these entries to simply remove [Am.].
Chat:     
OED  #742675
von Catesse (AU), 2014-01-23, 14:23  like dislike  Spam?  
If language usage were a matter of national security, then the OED would be the American undercover agent in Britain. I am firmly convinced that there is American finance and too much American influence involved in it.
But, in regard to the doubling of consonants in inflections of verbs of more than one syllable, the situation is very murky. I remember having a row with one of my English teachers, somewhere back around 1944, because her dictionary said one thing, while mine said another. (And there were more important things happening in the world then than double or single consonants.) I seem to remember that there were different rules for verbs ending in L, R, and T, but I am no longer sure of that.
To me, "modeled" and "modeling" (one L) look horrible. Indeed, my Spellcheck automatically corrected them to double the L and seemed to be quite upset when I kept changing it back.. (I have specified "one L" in case it changes it again while I am not looking.)
There will no doubt be a long and heated argument about this, but there is no point in getting emotional about it, because there will never be a consensus. It is just a matter of deciding how dict, in its collective wisdom, is going to handle it. I think this needs to be a Contribute entry. So - hi, Paul.
Antwort: 
narionk's link is to the US English part of the OED site,  #742676
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2014-01-23, 14:30  like dislike  Spam?  
and so the spelling rule quoted is for AE.

Compare it with http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/model?q=model
Spelling rule
Double the l when adding endings which begin with a vowel to words which end in a vowel plus l (as in ‘travel’):  (models, modelling, modelled)
from the British English entry for model.

I don't know about the Ngram result - they can't all be spelling mistakes, can they? - but the OED clearly says that modelling is BE and modeling is AE.
Antwort: 
Forget the whole Oxford thing...  #742677
von narionk (US/DE), 2014-01-23, 14:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Oh, glad you found that, Lllama! I didn't know the spelling hints differed depending on whether the page was set to "British and World English" or "US English"! So we can forget about that point.

Though still, the Ngram result is at least supposedly only from published books... So it still seems like it would make sense to replace [Am.] with [esp. Am.], although as mentioned in Forum entry 712379 (linked in my original post), this change alone may not merit a re-open.
Antwort: 
modelling, travelling, levelling  #742702
von Wenz (DE), 2014-01-23, 17:44  like dislike  Spam?  
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modelling

Wir sollten nicht nur OD schauen, denn hier geht es ja eigentlich von der "amerik. Seite" zu entscheiden, ob auch Am.
Wir hatten 2009 einen größeren Korrekturlauf mit travelling und haben "Br." weggenommen. Hier ein Beispiel:
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=284460
Wenn M-W auf Br. hinweist, dann in dieser Form:
Beispiel: Tumour
chiefly British variant of Tumor
Beispiel: centre
chiefly British variant of Center
fibre
chiefly British variant of fiber

Ich bin dafür, daß wir in diesen Fällen NICHT nach der Häufigkeit von Google-Treffern oder Ngam Viewer orientieren.
Antwort: 
Allgemeines aus meinem Leben VOR dict  #742704
von Wenz (DE), Last modified: 2014-01-23, 18:13  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich habe einmal bei einem dieser Global-Player gearbeitet. Die Systeme wurden folglich in alle Welt geliefert, doch stand (und steht) der nordamerikanische Markt im Fokus. Da wir nur sehr selten rein amerik. / britische Dokumentationen herausgegeben haben, waren wir gehalten "weichgespülte amerikanische Schreibweise" (den Ausdruck habe ich gerade erfunden) zu verwenden, um so den nicht-amerikanischen Markt nicht ganz zu verschrecken). D.h. wir haben geschrieben: center,  fiber, hemorrhage, hematoma, esophagus, color, ... UND levelling, travelling, cancelling, equalling (und entsprechend levelled, travelled, cancelled ...).
Diese Vorgehensweise wurde auch allen Freelancern kommuniziert.
--------
So gesehen ist natürlich ein Tag [Br.] für modelling, ... nicht förderlich. Ein Tag [Am.] für modeling reicht aus.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-01-23, 19:46  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Wenz, I find "chiefly British variant" a bit misleading for a spelling that is our primary spelling, especially if the other spelling is not acknowledged by British dictionaries as British.
It would be like saying Straße [chiefly German and Austrian variant of Strasse] if it was the case that some Germans and Austrians also spell Straße  "Strasse" and this has crept into published documents.
I also think that if you used "fiber", "center" etc., in a text, whatever the intention, most Brits will have assumed that the text was entirely in US spelling and won't have realised that some words were in non-standard US spellings (unless you used "grey" instead of "gray", at which point, the British reader may have thought to themselves, hang on, they've put a random British spelling in here).
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2014-01-23, 19:49  like dislike  Spam?  
ich habe das bisher immer so verstanden, dass der Merriam-Webster rein amerikanisch ist und der gibt beide Alternativen an...http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/travelling?show=0&t=1...
Antwort: 
Conclusion: remove [Br.] from entries that follow this spelling rule?  #742814
von narionk (US/DE), 2014-01-24, 13:16  like dislike  Spam?  
Although this isn't what this forum was originally about, it may still be a useful outcome. I have to agree that [Br.] on such entries as "modelling" is unnecessary. I don't think the double-consonant spelling is unusual in AE. In fact, it's a very common spelling question – many Americans are often unsure of which spelling is "correct". Both Merriam-Webster and the Collins American English dictionary list both spellings without expressing a preference for either; the American Heritage Dictionary says "modeling, also modelling"; and other dictionaries such as Dictionary.com call "modelling" "chiefly British" at best. Is this our conclusion?

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten