Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Durban 3 »
« Problem noch nicht gelöst.    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Is this sentence correct?  
anonymous, 2014-02-23, 21:56  like dislike  Spam?  5.66.84....
Someone posted it on facebook but to me it doesn't make sense...

"McDonald's for breakfast almost famous for tea."
Antwort: 
von Jim46 (US), 2014-02-23, 23:37  like dislike  Spam?  
It doesn't even have a verb.  In my opinion, just go on to something worthwhile.
Antwort: 
Tea  #746293
von Catesse (AU), 2014-02-24, 04:33  like dislike  Spam?  
Agree more or less with Jim, but there is an additional problem "Tea" has various meanings.
I don't think that you can get "a cup of tea" at McDonald's. It's coffee or coke.
In Britain, "tea" is an afternoon snack or a light meal in the early evening. In Australia, it is either an afternoon snack ("afternoon tea"), or the main afternoon meal, if it is not a cooked meal. (Then it is "dinner".) You would have to know the society from which the post was made; even then, it is sloppy. But, heck, it's facebook.
Chat:     
McDonald's Tea  #746307
von josephsh (US/DE), 2014-02-24, 09:56  like dislike  Spam?  
In the U.S., McDonald's is "famous" for their sweetened and unsweetened iced tea. I'm not sure what the British would have to say about it, but I imagine they wouldn't favor it...
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2014-02-24, 10:18  like dislike  Spam?  
iced tea is a different beverage ;-)

Same as hot, black tea in the rest of Europe is nothing like tea in the UK. it's much weaker, has less taste and can't really be taken with milk....
Chat:     
"But, heck, it's facebook"...Haha, Word! ;)  #746317
von Gobber (DE/IO), 2014-02-24, 10:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Found this on ..well..er...facebook:
Q: If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?
A: I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2014-02-24, 10:45  like dislike  Spam?  
same goes for YouTube ;)
Chat:     
uffie et al.  #746330
von Catesse (AU), 2014-02-24, 11:25  like dislike  Spam?  
You need to approach YouTube the way you do friendships - pre facebook and twitter-style friendships. A small, select group. That can be wonderful.
Just as a matter of interest: I use YouTube a lot for learning Polish. From songs. In any good song there are a few phrases that are worth learning. The earworm principle. Repetition and music reinforce the learning. I can still remember some advertising jingles that I heard in the cinemas in Germany in 1954.
(My current earworm is "Chabry z poligonu" - a few very nice phrases that I have entered into dict. Then I think I shall go back to "Rogatwyka"; that is really hard to get out of the brain, and I have not yet milked it for useful phrases.)
4; Gobber: All those pundits who predict the future. I remember some spaceship comics from about 1938-39. Wonderful imagination, but internet unforeseen. Come to that: Aldous Huxley did not foresee internet in "Brave New World". nor George Orwell in "1984". So I wonder if there is any point in asking learned persons - philosophers or scientists - what life might be like in 2064?
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2014-02-24, 12:00  like dislike  Spam?  
Asimov has been quite good at getting the trends right. Predicting is a bit of an exaggeration, as with all science fiction.

YouTube is incredible. All that rubbish out there. Yet, it has helped me on a number of practical occasions, just watch the video and at least you have an idea of how to do it. And it can certainly assist in learning a language. Lots of instructive and funny videos out there.
Chat:     
Mensch, Catesse, wenn du die Comics aus den 30ern heute noch hättest! ;)  #746342
von Gobber (DE/IO), 2014-02-24, 12:05  like dislike  Spam?  
http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/22/5435164/oldest-superman-cover-des...

Und zu Youtube: Klar gibt's da viel Müll, aber auch sehr nützliche Info. Dank eines Tutorials kann ich jetzt endlich meine neue Samsung Smart-Flachglotze bedienen!! ;)

Oder das hier: Youtube: iAp8pEaWB1Y
Chat:     
Gobber  #746346
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2014-02-24, 13:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Just try explaining the egg trick without the video.
Re comics: unfortunately, those prices imply: in fairly good condition. I loved my few comics to death, and they ended their lives scrunched up under the kindling in the wood stove.
Something that even now makes me shudder: My father had fair copies of both of the comic books by Bruce Bairnsfather. [ Wikipedia(EN): Bruce_Bairnsfather ] I don't think that there is / was another set in Australia, even in the War Museum. Presumably, either the Imperial War Museum or the British Library has a copy, but I am not sure about that. They are so rare  that I could not even get a price on them. My parents thought that it would be helpful to me if they tidied up old books, etc. before they died, so they burned them. It was not the loss of money that upset me, but the loss of these rare books. I would happily have given them away to a good home. And, no, I did not explain to them what they had done. It would not have helped, would it?
Chat:     
PTSDALCC Posttraumatic Stress Disorder After Loss of Comic Book Collection  #746355
von Gobber (DE/IO), 2014-02-24, 14:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Das kenne ich! Ich leide heute noch unter dem Verlust meiner Donald Duck-Sonderheftesammlung mit den Carl Barks-Geschichten, die meine Mutter eines Tages 'entsorgt' hat! Gibt's heute zwar alle als Reprint, aber das ist nicht dasselbe! Anderes Format, Papier, Geruch etc.
Sad stories!
Chat:     
von anonymous1, 2014-02-24, 16:07  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
There was a small cafe (near the University of Technology) in Vienna called Almost Famous. Perhaps this or another cafe by that name in another place is the reference. Since it's facebook English, proper capitalization doesn't matter.
Chat:     
anonymous, 2014-02-24, 19:21  like dislike  Spam?  5.66.84....
The guy who wrote it is from North England, so by tea he probably means dinner. But to me the whole sentence just doesn't sound right, in my opinion it should be something like "McDonald's for breakfast is almost as famous as it is for tea."
Anyway, it doesn't really matter :)
Thanks for your replies, guys

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung