Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 java exception occurred »
« netzwirtschaftliche Dienstleistungen?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Korrekt?  
anonymous, 2014-03-05, 19:16  like dislike  Spam?  92.74.89...
'When he tells you he doesn't want to lose you
it simply means that he is just afraid of being alone.'

Ist das korrektes Englisch?
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-03-05, 20:14  like dislike  Spam?  
yes, except I would prefer it with "he's" instead of "he is" and without the "just" (it feels like it's already been covered by the "simply")
Antwort: 
Comma  #747432
von ComMa, 2014-03-05, 22:24  like dislike  Spam?  50.31.254....
You also need a comma < , > after  '' ... to lose you...''.
Antwort: 
he's in conversation, he is in formal writing  #747441
von Proteus-, 2014-03-05, 23:37  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.232....
Chat:     
von anonymous1, 2014-03-06, 02:12  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
Proteus: I'm not sure what you mean by 'conversation.' But contractions are perfectly acceptable in all sorts of English writing, including formal or official correspondence. I wouldn't have made this comment if it wouldn't be for the fact that many non-native speakers of English have an unreasonable fear of using  English contractions. Because of that, their English often sounds stilted.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2014-03-06, 11:19  like dislike  Spam?  
well, this may be a bone of contention. Certainly, in advanced English taught here at schools, contractions are not acceptable. In business correspondence it depends but I would always go in favour of "no contractions". It just implies a more casual style IMHO.
Antwort: 
Consistency  #747445
von Catesse (AU), 2014-03-06, 04:20  like dislike  Spam?  
Consistency of style is in question here.
Either it is "doesn't - he's" (speech and informal writing) or it is "does not - he is" (formal writing).
But do not mix the two styles.
Chat:     
von anonymous1, 2014-03-06, 12:37  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
Good points. And yes, almost all teachers of English as a foreign language warn against the use of contractions in business correspondence. Unfortunate in my view, but understandable. It's difficult to know when or when not to use them, so perhaps this is the best way after all.
Chat:     
Level of formality  #747461
von Catesse (AU), 2014-03-06, 12:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Maybe if I put it this way. Using these abbreviations in formal and business writing is equivalent to using "Du" to a stranger in a business situation, when you have not been invited to use that level of informality. It is not a question of grammar, but of social etiquette.
Chat:     
von anonymous1, 2014-03-06, 13:26  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
Well, Catesse, I can't agree to that analogy. Using Du inappropriately is a huge blunder. Using too many contractions in business correspondence is merely a style error. And using a few contractions in the right places may make your business writing more forceful, engaging and personable.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2014-03-06, 15:20  like dislike  Spam?  
In the UK contractions are acceptable in emails as speed and brevity are important. Also, some marketing and advertising companies think a rather casual style is the best way to speak to their customers.

But apart from that, contractions in formal business letters are just bad style.

However, there may well be an AE/BE difference, as so often.
Chat:     
Ah well  #747507
von Proteus-, 2014-03-06, 23:16  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.48....
Chat:     
Your risk  #747523
von Catesse (AU), 2014-03-07, 02:45  like dislike  Spam?  
4; anonymous1
The recipient of your correspondence might be impressed by receiving business correspondence that is "forceful" or "personable", or might think that it was a gross impertinence demonstrating "keine gute Kinderstube". Your choice, your risk.
That is where advertising agencies get things wrong. Young people might be impressed by this style. The older people with the money, power and influence will probably draw other conclusions.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung