Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 trimmed and pressed »
« German Definite Articles    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Pfusch am Bau  
von patu (DE), 2014-04-02, 20:06  like dislike  Spam?  
bungled ...?
Antwort: 
botched building work  #750217
von Red Rufus, 2014-04-02, 20:31  like dislike  Spam?  77.181.72....
Antwort: 
Thanks. Sounds good.  #750220
von patu (DE), 2014-04-02, 20:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2014-04-02, 22:47  like dislike  Spam?  
In österr. Kontext kann es auch Schwarzarbeit am Bau bedeuten.
Antwort: 
So in Austria it might easily be to do illicit / unofficial work ... to do a foreigner , to work on the side , to moonlight  #750234
von Proteus-, 2014-04-02, 23:15  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.41...
Chat:     
von anonymous1, 2014-04-03, 00:20  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
In the U.S., "moonlighting" has no connotations of illegality. It simply means to hold a second job.
Antwort: 
Moonlighting  #750241
von Catesse (AU), 2014-04-03, 04:46  like dislike  Spam?  
Moonlighting may be illegal if it breaches the contract or conditions of your primary employment.
I agree that working illegally (e.g. if it breaches the conditions of a visa, or is work for which one needs - but does not have - a licence or certificate of competence) is not the same thing as doing shoddy work, although the two often overlap.
Antwort: 
Catesse.  #750275
von anonymous1, 2014-04-03, 13:31  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
My point was that in AE, statements such as "she moonlights to make ends meet" do not even remotely suggest that someone is doing something wrong. If you want to suggest wrong-doing, you would have to state that separately. Looking at Proteus' suggestion, "moonlighting" in BE apparently does connote illegality.
Antwort: 
Pfusch  #750283
von Catesse (AU), 2014-04-03, 14:37  like dislike  Spam?  
I think that the point at issue originally was not the parameters of the meaning of "moonlighting", but the meaning of "Pfusch".
"Moonlighting" does not denote illegality, for many upright, hardworking citizens do this quite legally. However, it may entail illegality. For example: A member of the State police force may be infringing the terms of his employment if he moonlights as a bouncer at a night club.
Antwort: 
Moonlighting.  #750285
von anonymous1, 2014-04-03, 14:49  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
Sorry if I wasn't clear. My 00:12 comment was only about "moonlighting" as used in the U.S.. I was keenly aware that the overall subject of the thread was Pfusch am Bau and that almost any word may be made to entail something it usually doesn't.  :-)
Antwort: 
A comment on moonlighting in BE :-)  #750289
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2014-04-03, 15:43  like dislike  Spam?  
I would say that it conveys secrecy and 'out of hours' rather than illegality (but could, of course, be both) -
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/moonlight?q=mo...
Have a second job, typically secretly and at night, in addition to one’s regular employment

the way I understand Pfusch in this sense in Austrian German would be to translate it as (working) cash in hand - http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cash-in-hand?q... Payment for goods and services in cash rather than by cheque or other means, typically as a way of avoiding the payment of tax on the amount earned - emphasising the avoiding tax aspect.
Antwort: 
Working cash in hand not quite the same scenario as employees are also affected  #750299
von Proteus-, 2014-04-03, 16:30  like dislike  Spam?  193.83.22...
Antwort: 
That's how I understand Pfusch.  #750308
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2014-04-03, 16:58  like dislike  Spam?  
People paying for the work pay cash, because then they don't pay MwSt, and/or the workers get cash because then there are no national insurance contributions, etc. The phrases work for both situations in their respective languages.

There's been a lot about this in the media this week because there has been talk of a Handwerkerbonus to try and stop it - Google: pfusch handwerker site:at
Chat:     
Cash  #750350
von Catesse (AU), 2014-04-04, 03:47  like dislike  Spam?  
Although paying in cash is an opportunity for tax evasion, paying in cash is not in itself illegal. What counts is whether the person receiving the cash issues a receipt (and keeps the books correctly), or - if an employee - signs for it.
Antwort: 
Yes, my 16:58 post was specifically about cash in hand, in reply to Proteus's post.  #750356
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2014-04-04, 07:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Schattenwirtschaft  #750370
von Catesse (AU), 2014-04-04, 08:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Lllama's link also mentions this. See dict. (This does not correspond to "moonlighting", though they may overlap.)

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung