Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 "other more pressing concerns ARE ACCOUNTED FOR" »
« redundancy in US English    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
sich in diesem Bereich schon orientiert.  
von Windfall (GB), 2014-04-17, 09:54  like dislike  Spam?  
Firma X habe sich in diesem Bereich auch schon orientiert.
This is reported speech and the text is about technology companies and new technologies. I think that the original utterance being reported may have been said in English, but I can't work out what the English would have been.
He said that company X had also already found its bearings in this area.  ??
Antwort: 
" gen up on ..."  is the company already in business  ??    found its place / a niche for themselves .... ??   #751852
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2014-04-17, 10:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-04-17, 10:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, sfl. What do you think of "got to grips with"
"He said that company X had also already got to grips with this area.
Antwort: 
Hahahaaa, was my first thought ......  #751855
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2014-04-17, 10:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-04-17, 10:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Wonderful! It's a little on the informal side, but I think I'll get away with it in the context - especially as I can't think of a more formal version that has the same impact.
Antwort: 
or maybe: has already taken first first steps / the plunge into that area, is set / ready to start into...  #751862
von Red Rufus, 2014-04-17, 11:09  like dislike  Spam?  93.130.215....
sich orientieren = seinen Platz suchen (z.B. auf einer Landkarte), sich in eine bestimmte Richtung drehen
Antwort: 
von uffie (GH/KI), 2014-04-17, 11:13  like dislike  Spam?  
agree with Red Rufus. Has made inroads into ??
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-04-17, 11:15  like dislike  Spam?  
I like "has made inroads into", thanks, both of you.
Antwort: 
oder: has made some headway towards ...  #751868
von Red Rufus, 2014-04-17, 11:21  like dislike  Spam?  93.130.215....
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-04-17, 11:27  like dislike  Spam?  
Ta
Antwort: 
has put out feelers  #751879
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2014-04-17, 11:57  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-04-17, 12:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Oh dear, "has put out feelers" has a different meaning (afaik) to "has made inroads into", is it possible to tell which they've done?
Antwort: 
von anonymous1, 2014-04-17, 14:53  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
I think X is past the feelers (taking a look) stage, but has not made inroads (becoming a player) in terms of market share or sales. Perhaps: "....said that X has already informed itself / themselves about this area quite well."
I'm never sure whether a company is singular or plural, hence the itself / themselves waffling.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-04-17, 15:03  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, anon1. In that case I think I might go back to "has found its bearings in this area".
In UK English companies are singular in formal language (particularly when people from the financial sector are talking/writing about them), but plural in colloquial/normal spoken English (because you think about the people who work for the company rather than the company as an entity itself). When I started work as a financial analyst, the boss told all of us that we had to refer to companies as "it" not "they" when we wrote about them for work. I'm now so used to it I even do it in colloquial speech, but I had previously always called them "they" as I'd never had to write anything formal about companies and everyone I knew called them "they". I think they are less keen on referring to grammatically singular nouns that comprise groups of people in the plural (they) in US English, to the extent that they even find it odd/wrong when we do it.
Chat:     
Interesting, Windfall.  #751906
von anonymous1, 2014-04-17, 15:16  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
I've often wondered about that ("British Leyland have announced....") but never had it explained to me. Thanks.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2014-04-17, 15:30  like dislike  Spam?  
sich orientieren is ambiguous without further context. In my view it is more than just information but I may be wrong here.

http://www.pb-consulting.com/marketing-service.php
http://www.mein-wirtschaftslexikon.de/o/orientierung-am-markt.php   OTOH
http://pms-sinsheim.de/leistungen/orientieren/
Chat:     
uffie  #751913
von anonymous1, 2014-04-17, 15:55  like dislike  Spam?  72.82.10...
I thought about this meaning with am, (use sth. as a guide, so to speak), but decided it didn't apply here because of the in [diesem Bereich]. But it is just an assumption on my part, yes, and you may well be right.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten