Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 standing »
« Ist dieser Satz richtig?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
"compared with" vs "in comparison with" vs "assessed in comparison with"  
von kasamb, 2014-05-20, 00:33  like dislike  Spam?  92.224.44....
Hello,

what would you consider more appropriate?

-"She is writing her thesis under my guidance on a topic related to the Australian tax system compared with the European one",
-"She is writing her thesis under my guidance on a topic related to the Australian tax system in comparison with the European one"
-"She is writing her thesis under my guidance on a topic related to the Australian tax system assessed in comparison with the European one"

Thanks in advance
Antwort: 
compared to or compared with  #755773
von Jim46 (US), Last modified: 2014-05-20, 01:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Are you pointing out differences or similarities?   http://www.dailywritingtips.com/compared-to-or-compared-with/

The first sentence simply compares two tax systems.
The second compares the Australian to another.  The difference is slight, however.
Antwort: 
Please recast  #755779
von Ann O'Neemus, 2014-05-20, 02:55  like dislike  Spam?  162.243.172...
All three sentences need to be recast if you want good, intelligible English.
Your three sentences are wordy and unclear.

Here's Ann's suggestion: ''She is writing her thesis under my guidance: it compares the Australian taxation system with the European one.''

If you want to split hairs, go ahead and try and make a (subtle) difference between ''with'' and ''to'' when used with compare. Take it from Ann: that'll go way over most people's head. Stick to simple English.

Another way to say it: ''She is writing her thesis under my guidance: it contrasts the Australian and the European taxation systems.''

(Tax system is unusual to Ann's ears. Taxation system is what she recommends.)
Chat:     
Unusual?  #755780
von Jim46 (US), 2014-05-20, 03:07  like dislike  Spam?  
There are 1.7 million G-hits for "tax system".
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2014-05-20, 03:30  like dislike  Spam?  
"Taxation" sounds more learned than "tax" and thus tends to impress people. MichaelK recommends the succinct "tax system" because simple English is almost always better English.
4;Ann: the colon after "guidance" makes no sense. It sets the reader up for more information about said guidance. But the phrase introduced by the colon makes no mention of it.
Antwort: 
Some suggestions  #755784
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2014-05-20, 04:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Firstly, I agree with MichaelK that the colon after "guidance" makes no sense.

Secondly, I am not sure whether the lady's thesis compares the Australian and the European taxation systems in their entirety, or just certain aspects of them.

If the former is true, I'd suggest:

She is writing under my guidance a thesis comparing the Australian and the European tax systems.

If the latter is true, here are two suggested alternatives:

1. She is writing under my guidance a thesis comparing certain aspects of the Australian and the European tax systems.

2. She is writing under my guidance a thesis discussing certain commonalities and differences between the Australian and the European tax systems.
Antwort: 
von Jim46 (US), 2014-05-20, 04:36  like dislike  Spam?  
Under my guidance she is writing a thesis....  sounds much better.
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-05-20, 10:29  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.108...
recast the sentences?

agree with Jim. Under my guidance in the middle of the sentence does not flow particularly well
Chat:     
von ddr (AT), 2014-05-20, 10:49  like dislike  Spam?  
Ihr habt ja sicher recht, aber für deutschsprachige Ohren würde "under my guidance" am Satzanfang arrogant und hochmütig klingen.
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-05-20, 10:58  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.108...
Einschübe und Attribute können natürlich in der Mitte eingeschoben werden - wenn sie nicht zu lang sind. Vgl.

She is sometimes writing a thesis - Under my guidance she is writing oder she is writing a thesis under my guidance... wobei das letztere nicht so gut ist, da der nächste Teil des Satzes sich wieder auf die These bezieht und nicht so klar wäre.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2014-05-20, 11:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Thesis here wohl im Sinne von Dissertation.
Antwort: 
BE/AE difference -  #755822
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2014-05-20, 12:37  like dislike  Spam?  
In Britain a dissertation is generally written for a first/undergraduate degree and a thesis for a doctorate. I believe it is the other way round in America.
Antwort: 
Another possibility:  #755823
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2014-05-20, 12:39  like dislike  Spam?  
I am supervising her (work on her) thesis/dissertation on...
Antwort: 
Under my guidance (,) ...  #755843
von Catesse (AU), 2014-05-20, 14:35  like dislike  Spam?  
A cigar for Jim. And Iriemon. After reading the originals, and following the various changes, my nerves were shrieking: For goodness' sake, put "Under my guidance" at the beginning. I can't help with the fine distinctions made in other parts but, if you start the sentence any other way, something in it will sound illogical. Lllama's version may also be OK, but it is further from the original.
Chat:     
Catesse  #755845
von Jim46 (US), 2014-05-20, 14:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Sorry, I don't smoke!   If not at the beginning, "under my guidance" needs commas, imo.
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-05-20, 15:15  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.108...
Thanks Catesse. I smoke but not cigars, but you never know...

I hope kasamb can follow this discussion....
Chat:     
von timfefe (AU/AT), Last modified: 2019-04-28, 22:13  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-05-21, 01:33  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.119....
Timfefe, your comment is a little surprising as one of our regular and most knowledgeable contributors, who happens to be Australian, seemed perfectly happy with previous suggestions.
Chat:     
von timfefe (AU/AT), Last modified: 2019-04-28, 22:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
I agree that rearranging the sentence ...  #755894
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2014-05-21, 07:48  like dislike  Spam?  
... and my alternative version both shift the emphasis to the supervisor and away from the thesis writer. However, I think that this is the right way to go in certain circumstances. If, for example, you need to say why you are qualified to give a reference, then saying, I am supervising her thesis is perfectly acceptable and more natural than, she is writing her theisis under my supervision.
Antwort: 
timfefe  #755904
von Catesse (AU), 2014-05-21, 08:44  like dislike  Spam?  
My impression is that the shift of emphasis occurs if the writer uses: "*I* am supervising ... ", but not if the sentence reads : "Under my guidance (,) she is ..." The subject of the Principal Clause remains the focus of attention. Does AGPS say anything about this? My edition is several years old.
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-05-21, 09:42  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.119....
sorry timfefe, no inappropriate criticism intended.

I was just surprised that you categorically ruled out some of the previous suggestions as inappropriate, no more, no less.
Antwort: 
Thanks  #755966
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2014-05-21, 17:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you all. It's nice to have such a variety of views.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung