|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Fallacy of expert witness »
« to pass electric current through sth.    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
gekauft, erworben und auf diese zugelassen.  
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-24, 11:51  like dislike  Spam?  
Das Fahrzeug wird vom Kunden gekauft, erworben und auf diese zugelassen.
I have cut a few words out of this sentence for confidentiality. I hope it still makes sense.
The vehicle is bought by, acquired by and registered to the customer.?
Antwort: 
"Erworben" steht für den Erhalt des Eigentums - maybe: acquired ownership, maybe best to avoid passive voice in English  #759704
anonymous, 2014-06-24, 11:55  like dislike  Spam?  213.61.158...
Deutsches Kaufrecht - Abstraktionsprinzip
1 schuldrechtlicher Vertrag
+
2 sachenrechtliche Verträge (Übergang des Eigentums am Fahrzeug & Übereignung/Erbringung der Gegenleistung)

No such thing exists according to English law. Maybe reading up on this German concept helps too.
Chat:     
simply  owned ?!  because you could buy it but someone else is driving it and it's licensed to this person .....  #759711
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2014-06-24, 12:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2014-06-24, 13:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Oh, I see, thanks both of you. In that case, perhaps:
The customer purchases the vehicle and owns and registers it.
(I'm not sure if that covers "zugelassen auf" properly)
or
The vehicle is purchased by, owned by and registered to the customer.
This keeps the passive, but I'm happy that "registered" works properly here.
By the way, I hope it doesn't make any difference that this is Swiss.
Antwort: 
" .... registered to the customer. "  = better  #759715
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2014-06-24, 13:15  like dislike  Spam?  
" ...  and registers it. "  - could be to "anybody", he only would pay for it ....
Antwort: 
The vehicle is purchased by the customer and registered in the customer's name.  #759716
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2014-06-24, 13:21  like dislike  Spam?  
If the emphasis is on the customer, the active would indeed be better: The customer purchases the vehicle and registers it in his name.
Agree with anonymous--the German wording reflects the German abstraction principle which separates the purchase transaction into several distinct parts. IMO, there's no need for "own" in the English unless you are writing about that abstraction principle.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-24, 13:25  like dislike  Spam?  
I'm not writing about the abstraction principle, but I am translating a contract, so I'm wary about leaving out words.
I like that way of putting "registered to" in the active, but unfortunately the sentence is repeated several ti,es with various types of customer (in some cases lengthy descriptions of them) and some of these customer types could be his/her/its, which makes dealing with the "in the customer's name" issue rather messy in my context.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2014-06-24, 13:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Understand. The problem is that the sale of a vehicle automatically transfers ownership in the mind of most English-language readers, so to mention such a transfer of ownership could look a bit odd. On the his-her issue: to skirt it, I used "customer" twice. Not very stylish, I know. :-)
Antwort: 
me once more: In order to transfer ownership of a vehicle, the "Fahrzeugbrief" needs to be delivered to the customer, otherwise ownership does not   #759725
anonymous, 2014-06-24, 14:02  like dislike  Spam?  213.61.158...
transfer ... just an explanation.

When translating a contract it is usually quite difficult to find a 1:1 translation for legal concepts set forth in the original contract. So I agree, it may be risky to leave out words or even change the original punctuation too much.
Hope this helps.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-24, 14:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Right, it can stay in the passive! It's not impossible to understand like that in English and it's less risky.
Antwort: 
purchases, takes possession of and registers ...  #759735
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2014-06-24, 14:56  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
What jurisdiction does the sale take place in?   In the US some dealers offer registration of vehicles for their customers or employ third party service providers.  So, before turning the passive into active it's worth checking who does what.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/dealer_regservice.htm
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-24, 14:59  like dislike  Spam?  
This is in Switzerland. I like "take possession of".
Chat:     
possession / ownership .....   Eigentum is not necessarily Besitz  ....  #759762
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2014-06-24, 16:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-24, 17:00  like dislike  Spam?  
Oh dear, that's unlucky, as I sent it off already. Are you sure that "erwerben" specifically refers to Eigentum not Besitz? (Doubly unlucky, as in English once you have purchased something you own it, but whether you have taken possession of it is genuinely something different).
Antwort: 
splitting the difference  #759768
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2014-06-24, 17:24  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
purchasing sth. means you pay to gain ownership.  But AFAIK "Erwerben" also includes taking possession of the item purchased.
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-06-24, 17:35  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.122...
Chat:     
it will be fine -  #759779
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2014-06-24, 18:23  like dislike  Spam?  
because, he/she  purchased, is now in possession/owns it AND it is registered in his/her name .....
Chat:     
erwerben -   #759780
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2014-06-24, 18:25  like dislike  Spam?  
"erwerben" refers to Eigentum and/or Besitz ....
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-06-24, 18:42  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.122...
not that this is of any help to Windfall.... after all this, I reckon her initial "acquire" would have been perfectly alright
http://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/acquire.html
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-24, 19:38  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Iriemon, it sounds a bit odd to purchase and acquire something, because "acquire" is generally used as a synonym of purchase.
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-06-24, 23:04  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.122...
4; Windfall. Yes, of course, but I just wondered whether it may have been suitable as the legal definition is as wishy washy as the German erwerben.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2014-06-25, 09:30  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Iriemon "acquire" tends to take on context-specific meanings in English. Its meaning encompasses getting hold of/obtaining something without necessarily paying money for it (e.g. I acquired 3 cats can (but probably doesn't) mean I purchased 3 cats or can (and probably does) mean 3 cats just turned up at my house and I took them in or I was given 3 cats.
Company A acquired company B means company A purchased company B. It is highly unlikely to mean company A was given company B for free.
"To acquire" can also be used as a euphemism for "to steal" (in an appropriate context).
But once you've specified that you've purchased something, because you've specified how you obtained it (by paying money for it), acquire can't (IMHO) have a separate meaning from "purchase". If you wanted an non-purchase alternative you'd have to say "purchased or otherwise obtained by", but I don't think that's what they mean, which leaves you with "acquired by, taken possession/ownership of by".
Antwort: 
von Iriemon, 2014-06-25, 18:33  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.100....
thanks Windfall. The general language meanings are known to me but I wasn't familiar with the legal meaning I found in the above legal link. Perhaps they were being imprecise.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung