Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Deutsch: Bedeutet Drittland immer "Nicht-EU-Lan... »
« Could you proofread this Q/A? Any additional id...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
American English - grocery discounter/discount store  
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-26, 10:25  like dislike  Spam?  
In the UK, we call companies like Aldi and Trader Joe's (which seems to be a US brand for Aldi) "food discounters" or simply "discounters". Can I use either of these terms in US English or should it be "grocery discounter", "grocery discount store", " food discount store" or something else?
Chat:     
"Discount" with food has a bad ring in the U.S.  #760086
von MichaelK (US), 2014-06-26, 12:43  like dislike  Spam?  
"Discount food store" in the U.S. suggests a small building (usually in a very poor neighborhood) selling questionable food. To my knowledge, no large U.S. food seller uses the word "discount" in their name.
At the link, note the "discount" in quite a few of the names of these often unsavory stores.
http://business.time.com/2009/08/05/salvage-grocery-stores-who-care...
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-26, 12:51  like dislike  Spam?  
Oh dear. Do you know Aldi or Trader Joe's or Netto? (Supermarkets that sell a restricted range of food and groceries at very low prices)? What would you call them? "Discounter" is relatively neutral in UK English, there are people who love them (because the food's so cheap and they're satisfied with the quality and the range) and people who hate them (because the range is so limited, the quality is not necessarily what you'd find in more expensive supermarkets and the interiors of the stores are not necessarily as attractive as higher priced stores), but both sides are happy referring to the stores of that type as "discounters", and that's what they're referred to when the financial/business press talks about them.
I'd like to keep "discount" in the name if possible, as they're called Discounter(s) in UK English and in German and previous translations for the same company have referred to them as food/grocery discounters or food/grocery discount stores, so moving away to something more neutral in US English may be problematic (and I suspect it would raise questions).
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-26, 12:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Aha, as the word actually is used in some store names, perhaps "discount grocery store" is right (just unpopular in US culture). Do you have a preference as to what I should call them to be comprehensible in US English?
Antwort: 
Edited  #760092
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2014-06-26, 12:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Wrong thread
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2014-06-26, 13:22  like dislike  Spam?  
I shop at Trader Joe's all the time, but have never thought of it as a discount store and have never heard it described as a discount store.
Trader Joe's here in the U.S. established and carefully guards its reputation of selling healthier food than your average supermarket. Their prices are good, but not that much lower than those in your traditional market. In short: Trader Joe doesn't bill itself as "cheaper" here in the U.S. The emphasis is on "different."
Someone else from the U.S. can perhaps expand on this. My Trader Joe's experience is limited to Virginia and Massachusetts.
As a footnote: I've heard it said that the profit margin on food products is extremely low in the U.S. So it may not even be possible for a reputable "discount" food store to survive.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2014-06-26, 13:31  like dislike  Spam?  
I might be wrong about Trader Joe's. I assumed it was a discounter because it's owned by Aldi and Aldi is one. It's also possible this is cultural. My experience is that supermarkets in Germany are quite different from supermarkets in the UK and both are quite different from supermarkets in the US. The UK and Germany both have a food discounter segment (which I find quite similar in both countries - possibly because these are dominated by Aldi and Lidl in both countries), it's the higher end supermarkets that seem to be more different from each other. If this concept/culture simply doesn't exist in the US, I guess I'll have to stick to UK terms, as it does exist here and when the US has things we don't have, we tend to use your words for them.
Chat:     
Noteworthy afterthought.  #760110
von MichaelK (US), 2014-06-26, 13:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Judging from Trader Joe's (TJ) clientele in their Virginia and Massachusetts stores, TJ clearly appeals to the more affluent and better educated segment of U.S. society. So perhaps there are major differences here that make the use of "discount" a problem. For what it's worth: regular food stores ("supermarkets") in the poorest areas of the U.S. often have the highest prices.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2014-06-26, 13:40  like dislike  Spam?  
The rule of thumb in Britain is the smaller the size of the individual store, the higher the prices, but this only affects rich v. poor areas in that some poor areas don't have large supermarkets. Apart from that, rich areas are more likely to have Waitroses or Marks and Spencers (very nice food at high prices) and poor are more likely to have Aldis and Lidls (which generally have a fairly decent quality of food at very low prices, but I'd be surprised to see anyone choose it over M&S or Waitrose food if someone were offering it to them for free, unless for ideological reasons) or very poor areas or rich(er) areas where everyone has cars or gets their food delivered sometimes have just very small stores which do charge more for food and often have a much worse quality of food (Waitrose and M&S prices, but food quality below that of Aldi/Lidl).
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-06-26, 13:45  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.100....
it depends on what you're buying. M&S are well-known for their quality prepared food, mostly cook-chill. The concept is not so widespread in Germany and therefore Aldi and Lidl don't stock so much of it and if, frozen.

M&S and Waitrose offer more delicatessen, the difference is in the products offered - original Sicilian hand-picked tomatoes ripened to perfection and so on) vs. tinned tomatoes.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2014-06-26, 13:58  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Iriemon, I did largely mean pre-prepared food or delicatessen food. I don't find such a major difference with fresh produce - except the range, which includes more fruit and veg and fancier varieties of it (and on non-fresh food, Aldi and Lidl had much more food I'd classify as junk food and refuse to eat than non-discounters, so if junk food's your thing, perhaps you would pick those above Waitrose or M&S, neither of which does junk food very well).
In fairness too, I'm not 100% comparing like with like, I'm comparing Aldi and Lidl in Germany with Waitrose and M&S in the UK, as I've never lived near enough an Aldi or Lidl to regularly shop there in the UK (interestingly, although the Aldi and Lidl range was smaller, I found Aldi and Lidl's fresh food to be of a higher quality than Rewe's in Frankfurt).
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2014-06-26, 14:04  like dislike  Spam?  
Interesting reading, I can see there are significant US-UK-DE differences. Bowing out of this. I only eat to live and am decidedly not a judge of good food. As long as there's enough of it, I'm fine with whatever I put in front of myself.  :-)
Chat:     
You are right, Windfall! I lived next to an Aldi (short for:Albrecht Discount), which was my Tante-Emma-Laden...  #760124
von Gobber (DE/IO), 2014-06-26, 14:29  like dislike  Spam?  
Durch den schnellen Warenumsatz ist die Frischware wirklich frisch und die No-Name-Produkte von den Discountern räumen regelmäßig bei Warentests die vordersten Plätze ab, da sie meistens sowieso undercover von Markenherstellern produziert werden.
Gilt zumindest für D. Gibt natürlich auch einige Schrottartikel bei den Discountern, die hat man dann schnell auf der Nichteinkaufsliste ;) Besonders witzig immer die 'Britischen Wochen' (tiefgefr. Fish&Chips, Baked Beans etc.) bei Aldidl: Alles in D hergestellt.
Antwort: 
Aldi US doesn't use "discount"  #760166
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2014-06-27, 00:46  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
They say "low price" "low cost" or "budget"
But there are a few newspaper reports that describe the chain as "discount grocery stores."  I'd still not recommend the term, because of the bad rep.  Even Dollar General, and Dollar Tree don't use "discount."  And in their cases it would apply much more readily.
https://www.aldi.us/en/
Google: "Aldi a * grocery store"
Chat:     
von Iriemon, 2014-06-27, 02:00  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.120...
Aldi UK advert ;-) Youtube: hoBN_5JIe_M
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2014-06-27, 08:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, Lisa.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten