Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Jokes »
« hätte nochmal Immobilienrecht ... bitte...    

English-German Translation of
as as

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
as - as  
von uschi-ch (CH), 2014-08-30, 16:02  like dislike  Spam?  
Can a native speaker quickly check, thanks. What is fully wrong, what is right?

Jim is not as happy as her.
Jim is not as happy as she.
Jim is not as happy as she is.

Thanks, Ursula
Antwort: 
von Jim46 (US), Last modified: 2014-08-30, 17:05  like dislike  Spam?  
her is wrong.  she is (is can be understood) is the correct pronoun
Think of "as her is".  Obviously wrong.

Edit:  You'll often hear the "me" mistake.  Example:  She's not as tall as me.
as I (am) is correct.   As me am??? Never.
Antwort: 
This can cause arguments ;-)  #767291
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2014-08-30, 18:03  like dislike  Spam?  
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/personal-prono...
Where a personal pronoun is used alone without the context of a verb or a preposition, however, the traditional analysis starts to break down. Traditionalists sometimes argue, for example, that she’s younger than me and I’ve not been here as long as her are incorrect and that the correct forms are she’s younger than I and I’ve not been here as long as she. This is based on the assumption that than and as are conjunctions and so the personal pronoun is still subjective even though there is no verb (in full form it would be she’s younger than I am). Yet for most native speakers the supposed ‘correct’ form does not sound natural at all and is almost never used in speech. It would perhaps be more accurate to say that, in modern English, those personal pronouns listed above as being objective are used neutrally—i.e. they are used in all cases where the pronoun is not explicitly subjective. From this it follows that, despite the objections of prescriptive grammarians (whose arguments are based on Latin rather than English), it is standard accepted English to use any of the following: Who is it? It’s me!; she’s taller than him; I didn’t do as well as her.

People who think she is correct, generally consider+her+ to be a mistake in all circumstances
People who think her is correct, generally think that she is also correct, but that it sounds pretentious.

You can read how heated debates can get by looking at some of these Google: as i as me

Personally, I use she is or her depending on the formality of the occasion :-)
Antwort: 
Double post deleted  #767292
von Lllama (GB/AT), Last modified: 2014-08-30, 18:04  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
U.S. English  #767297
von Jim46 (US), 2014-08-30, 18:22  like dislike  Spam?  
This lengthy discussion of pronoun neutrality, etc., is not given in the U.S. English
section of OED.  But I think it's valid here too.  So, there is no concrete answer as
to the correctness of "as her" or "as me".
Antwort: 
von atemp (US), 2014-08-30, 20:29  like dislike  Spam?  
Jim is not as happy as her.
 Incorrect: Quite often to be heard in casual speech, but ungrammatical. ~90% of non-English majors don't know any better.

Jim is not as happy as she.
 Less incorrect; truncated version of Jim is not as happy as she [is] ; can sound a little stilted to the 90%.

Jim is not as happy as she is.
 Most correct, with the more-or-less redundant to be included.

Jim is not as happy as we are.
 Correct, with the "we" declension of to be necessarily included.
Antwort: 
As to good English, I agree with atemp (US)  #767390
von Proteus-, 2014-08-31, 23:01  like dislike  Spam?  193.83.225....
Chat:     
von atemp (US), Last modified: 2014-09-01, 08:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Or, one could just finish the first version, and thereby make it more interesting and correct:

Jim is not as happy as her... cat.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung