Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Gewerbliche und Hauswirtschaftliche Schule »
« Ordner (bei großen Veranstaltungen)    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Schenken und Schmuecken  
von Windfall (GB), 2005-09-27, 18:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Die Marke XXX steht seit mehr als 100 Jahren für qualitativ hochwertige Produkte in den Bereichen Büro und Schule, Schenken und Schmücken

The XXX brand has stood for high quality products in the fields of office and school, gifts and jewellery for more than 100 years?
Antwort: 
Schenken  #77851
von karolinka, 2005-09-27, 18:48  like dislike  Spam?  62.255.3...
fields of office and school doesnt feel right...
how about "for the office and school" (I know theres something better but cant think of it) -
Antwort: 
Funnily enough  #77856
von Windfall (GB), 2005-09-27, 19:01  like dislike  Spam?  
I'm reasonably happy with office and school - they're a stationery manufacturer. It just seems a little unlikely to me that they also do jewellery. Maybe gift and decorative wares?
Antwort: 
schenken  #77865
von karolinka, 2005-09-27, 19:33  like dislike  Spam?  62.255.3...
equally funny - my first impression was schenken as in giving as a gift rather than a gift itself...so, as you say for decorative purposes, as gifts or for decoration
btw it wasnt office and school, it was "fields of" that didnt sit right.
Great minds
Antwort: 
Laura  #77887
von Gina (US), 2005-09-27, 21:02  like dislike  Spam?  204.118.126....
By "decorative products" I understand "interior decorating," ie housewares, not jewelry.  I probably would simplify the sentence:  "...high quality products for office and school, as well as gift items and jewelry." (or jewellery of course :>)
Antwort: 
Schmücken > decorating, decoration  #77889
von Proteus, 2005-09-27, 21:03  like dislike  Spam?  194.166.233....
For more than 100 years, the XXX brand has stood for high quality products tailored to office and school, making gifts and decorating
Antwort: 
schmucken  #77896
von karolinka, 2005-09-27, 21:11  like dislike  Spam?  62.255.3...
4;gina....not at all.....you can decorate your hair, nails....thinking of a recent visit to an art shop...
decorative items
4; proteus....decorating to the UK mind is definitely painting and.... (of the house)

Does this company have a website so we can see what they actually do deal in?
Antwort: 
Proteus  #77904
von Gina (US), 2005-09-27, 21:16  like dislike  Spam?  204.118.126....
Yes you're right, didn't look closely enough at the original text.

"decorations" would be my choice- doesn't necessarily imply home renovation

"making gifts"?  That implies to me that those are supplies for someone to make gifts at home.
Antwort: 
How about: For more than 100 years  #77982
von Bernie (AU), 2005-09-28, 01:44  like dislike  Spam?  
XXX has been synonomous with gifts and ornaments* for  the office and school.

As an alternative to decorations? (Sounds like party-time doesn't it?)
Antwort: 
It's Herlitz  #78040
von Windfall (GB), 2005-09-28, 10:25  like dislike  Spam?  
http://www.herlitz.de

(I'm not translating for them or anyone connected with them, so it doesn't affect client confidentiality in any way to mention them - I only took it out because people tend to assume I'm giving away privileged information if I leave names in and get all excited).

So far I like Proteus's best - although I think I'd change decorating into decorations to get away from the whole painting houses thing.

4;Gina I don't think they do/did make jewellery, but I could be wrong. I assume "Schmuecken" to be in some way related to stationery or paper items, as that's what the rest of their product line seems to comprise.

4;Bernie "Ornaments" sounds wrong to me - it sounds like they make/made small china figurines (I suppose they might, it just doesn't seem a likely for a stationery firm)
Antwort: 
Checked that though...  #78041
von Bernie (AU), 2005-09-28, 10:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Bernie Maybe it's a UK thing  #78044
von Windfall (GB), 2005-09-28, 10:40  like dislike  Spam?  
that I think of figurines

When I narrowed the search to UK, it came out differently

Google: ornaments for the office

4; Everyone: it doesn't have to read well or be good for advertising. It merely has to give the reader a good idea of what the company does (descriptive rather than selling). A dry/long-winded but clear phrase is fine!

Btw, thanks for everyone's help. It's greatly appreciated.
Antwort: 
"Arts and Crafts"  #78139
von Richtig-oder-Falsch, 2005-09-28, 14:11  like dislike  Spam?  207.6.227...
Well, well, I believe "Arts and Crafts" is the phrasing you folks were looking for.  This is the general name for "hobby and pastime" supplies, such as kids' colouring books, crayons, paints, pastels, brushes, paper/plastic cutouts for fun projects; beads and tools for self-made jewellery, like earrings, bracelets, brooches/pins, necklaces (usually some kind of pet hobby for teenaged girls and twenty-somethings) and more.  Since Laura (GB) has mentioned something stationery-related, this should be a good fit for the translation.  As far as I know, there usually is a section selling products like that in almost every stationery store around the world, at least some of the assortment, if not all.

Hopefully, this will bring a closure to the discussion of this topic; othewise the whole suspense will be killing us all for a long time to come.......  I don't think we'll lose sleep over this though, right?

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung