Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Got so I didn't know which way was up. »
« What does it mean?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Got so I didn't know which way was up.  
von Orbert (PL/DE), 2015-01-17, 13:14  like dislike  Spam?  
Hi evrybody,

Would you paraphrase the last sentence, please.

"Where were you stationed?" she asked.
"All over the world," he said. "Europe, Far East, Middle East. Got so I didn't know which way was up."

Thanks,
Chat:     
something missing ??   got so "stressed out" etc.  .....  #784969
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2015-01-17, 13:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Disorientation  #784970
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2015-01-17, 13:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Maybe" "didn't know if I was coming or going", though it is not exactly the same thing.
To my way of thinking, "not knowing which way is up" does not really come into operation until you cross the Equator, but the expression may have a wider application in America.
When you move around a lot, you sometimes wake up thinking: "Where the heck am I?"
Wikipedia(EN): If_It's_Tuesday,_This_Must_Be_Belgium
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2015-01-17, 13:26  like dislike  Spam?  
Hahahaaaa, and the light switches have moved .....
Chat:     
And the door knobs are no longer round....  #784976
von MichaelK (US), 2015-01-17, 13:33  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von iriemonloggedout, 2015-01-17, 13:37  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.99....
I no longer knew whether I was in the northern or the southern hemisphere
Chat:     
iriemon  #784990
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2015-01-17, 14:14  like dislike  Spam?  
Face east at noon. If the sun is on your right, you are in the Northern Hemisphere; if it is on your left, you are in the Southern Hemisphere. :-) OK. That's easy.
But -
Face the sun at noon. If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, east is on your left; if in the Southern Hemisphere, it is on our right. That is why, when I was cycling around Europe, what my map was telling me was not what my instinct told me. I had to learn to trust the map and a compass.
4; Michael: this is hilarious, and a little bit sad.
Wikipedia(EN): You_Might_Be_a_military_Brat_if:
You wouldn't believe it! Between the time when I accessed that site, and when I checked it after entering it here, the site had been taken down. Try this one; it is similar.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Are-military-brats-most-plastic-728...
That is, if it does not disappear too.
Chat:     
von iriemonloggedout, 2015-01-17, 14:35  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.99....
4; Catesse, I think that's exactly the confusion they were trying to describe ;-)
Chat:     
Thanks, the second link worked. Lots of truth in that.  #784995
von MichaelK (US), 2015-01-17, 14:41  like dislike  Spam?  
I have to say that most military brats were great kids, especially if you compared them to young people who had never left the U.S. or even their hometown. The overseas adults had more annoying habits, like calling the U.S. "the world" as in "only thirty more days before I return to the world." Bizarre sometimes when the person saying this was stationed in, say, Heidelberg and was returning to some benighted U.S. small town or scheduled to be posted to a U.S. military base in the middle of nowhere.
Chat:     
Catesse  #785043
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2015-01-18, 01:35  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
The sun?  Our favorite saying in Germany, "When does the sun rise in Hamburg? - Shortly before noon.  And when does it set? - Shortly after noon.  
... and that would be on days when it's not constantly gray and overcast.  We concluded that being an astronomer in Northern Germany would take true dedication and a fair sized travel budget.
Chat:     
Lisa  #785049
von Catesse (AU), 2015-01-18, 04:36  like dislike  Spam?  
That is why there are some high quality telescopes situated in Australia, in the mountains, or near deserts where it rains maybe once in five years. (Heat haze and dust can be a problem.)
I did not see snow until I was 23, but just imagine four-year-olds who have never seen rain.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung