Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 calgar »
« Relaxing weekend ahead?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
an awesome show-and-tell contribution.  
von Salit (UN), Last modified: 2015-02-12, 03:13  like dislike  Spam?  
There’s no doubt the gizmo provides an awesome show-and-tell contribution. In my mind, Paul Wallich gives new meaning to the term “helicopter parent.”

Es gibt keinen Zweifel/ es ist zweifellos, das Dingsbums bietet/leistet einen tollen Show-and-Tell Beitrag an. In meiner Meinung gibt Paul Wallich neue Bedeutung dem Begriff “Hubschrauber-Elternteil.”

Is  my sentence correct? It is about Paul Wallich,who has constructed a camera-mounted drone helicopter to follow his grade-school-aged son to the bus stop.
Thanx.
Chat:     
von romy (CZ/GB), 2015-02-12, 04:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Dear Salit, by now all the sentences you posted here were NOT correct but, to be honest, absolutely horrible and full of mistakes. That's why I have never responded to your many questions before. I know my comment is rude, but someone must tell you at some stage. Anyway, what are your translations meant for? I hope you don't intend to charge someone money for them... (?)

The concept of "show-and-tell" which is common in schools and kindergardens of the English-speaking world, is not common in the German-speaking countries. You will have to do some research and find an idiomatic solution. Hint: Browse the forum here for previous questions on "show-and-tell". And ask friend Google what a "helicopter parent" is.
Antwort: 
Sinngemäß:  #788909
von migmag (DE), 2015-02-12, 07:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Ganz ohne Zweifel liefert diese Sache einen beeindruckenden Beitrag für einen "Show-and-tell" Ansatz; Paul Wallich gibt dem Begriff "Helikopter-Eltern" eine völlig neue Bedeutung.
Antwort: 
von romy (CZ/GB), 2015-02-12, 08:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Show-and-tell"-Ansatz (mit Bindestrich). Ich bleibe aber bei meiner Meinung, dass dieser Begriff vom deutschen Durchschnittsleser nicht verstanden werden wird.
Antwort: 
von Salit (UN), Last modified: 2015-02-12, 08:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Dear romy, thank you  for  this  information. Actually I know  the  level of  my English and  my German languages. My English is  much better , that is  why  I try to speak German as  much as  I   can. I am practicing it here. Of  course  nobody pays me  for my  translations  into German. I am just doing it  for  myself in order  to improve my knowledge. I hope  that is not a big crime for  you. Moreover I don't create  more accounts than I need here, I  don't breake the rules here on forum  and  I don't post spam. I spoke once  with Paul and  he  didn't say anything about my  German or  information that  I  post.  I see all my mistakes and  with your help and  some correction of  other users I see how it should  be written correctly. Thank you all for that.

Concerning my translations, for instance, I  see that  my  second  sentence  is not correct. I  would  say it in other way:
" Meiner Meinung nach gibt Paul Wallich eine neue Bedeutung für den Begriff “Hubschrauber-Elternteil.”"
And  also I had asked friend Wikipedia before  I made  my translation
Wikipedia(DE): Helikopter-Eltern
Hope  that I  answered  to all your questions ))
Antwort: 
romy Du hast natürlich recht. Wenn, dann mit Bindestrich.  #788915
von migmag (DE), 2015-02-12, 08:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Müsste ich diesen Text für "Durchschnittsleser" veröffentlichen, würde ich aus Gründen der Übersichtlichkeit den Begriff  '"Show-and-tell"-Ansatz' verwenden, würde aber zusätzlich eine Fußnote mit einer kurzen Erläuterung einfügen. Natürlich könnte man dem Begriff auch eine kurze Erläuterung in einer Klammer folgen lassen, eventuell mit dem Zusatz "Anmerkung des Übersetzers".

Man sollte aber auch bedenken: jemand, der sich einen Text über Erziehungs- und Bildungswissenschaften verinnerlicht, ist nicht unbedingt als "Durchschnittsleser" zu betrachten. Zeitschriften wie "DER SPIEGEL" setzen in ihren Texten einen solchen Wortschatz sowieso voraus.
Chat:     
Salit  #788916
von Catesse (AU), 2015-02-12, 08:37  like dislike  Spam?  
Your sentences are not "horrible". They are usually perfectly understandable, but your German in particular often contains quite elementary errors. So we wonder what your native language is, and under what circumstances you have studied German. We might be able to assist you more effectively if we knew this.
Chat:     
von romy (CZ/GB), Last modified: 2015-02-12, 08:51  like dislike  Spam?  
Hi Salit, I fully agree with Catesse. Knowing your background and what you need these sentences for, will give us good guidance. Now, knowing that you are not trying to translate professionally but just practicing to learn the German language better, I will be also happy to support you.

To explain my above posting: I have seen similar mistakes made by people who claimed to be professional translators when I was reviewing texts for a cheap online agency (onehourtranslations) and in those cases I used to suggest to that agency to fire those people (which they sadly did not do, at least not straight away), and so I might have become a bit over-sensitive when such a suspicion comes up. So I apologize.

On your improvements:
Your second try with the sentence "Meiner Meinung nach gibt Paul Wallich eine neue Bedeutung für den Begriff “Hubschrauber-Elternteil.”" is already better than your first try which was "In meiner Meinung gibt Paul Wallich neue Bedeutung dem Begriff “Hubschrauber-Elternteil.”, but the syntax is not right, and the phrase "eine Bedeutung geben" requires an object in the dative case. Migmag wrote it correctly.
Antwort: 
von Salit (UN), Last modified: 2015-02-12, 09:53  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Catesse and 4;romy.  My native language is russian. You  can  see a  few  post of  mine here on DE-RU forum. I have  been  studying English language  for  about 10 years,  German, as you see,  much less years. It took me  so much time  to  understand the  grammar of German language, and  still I  see that I need more  practice to make as good  as English. German is more difficult comparing to  English. In order to speak your language well I have to perfect typical German expressions. Then there will be  not so many mistakes.
Moreover, during my  translation I don't use any cat-tool or Translation Memory (TM). Maybe that is  my big mistake. I wonder whether you use it during translation into other not native language, cause  as I see you are all professional translators.
Chat:     
von iriemonloggedout, 2015-02-12, 10:49  like dislike  Spam?  87.144.147....
Good TM software is not cheap and it only really helps if you translate similar texts frequently. I don't think it helps with the learning process.

You may also think about learning German from Russian, leaving out English as an intermediary languagage. There is plenty of material and introducing a foreign language to learn a third can be problematic.
Chat:     
Salit  #788929
von Catesse (AU), 2015-02-12, 11:30  like dislike  Spam?  
We are not "all" professional translators. Many of the elderly, retired people like me were teachers of modern languages or university lecturers. I think that the best way we can help you is not just to make a translation for you but to explain when a basic grammar rule has been broken, when there is a fixed idiom involved, and when it is a case of a genuinely difficult translation.
I sympathise with you, as I am trying to learn Polish without a teacher, and it is not a good place to be.
(I worked on the DE-RU site briefly, but it quickly became too difficult for me.)
Chat:     
von Salit (UN), 2015-02-12, 14:30  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Catesse
yep. My problem is  that I see that or this German fixed idiom or set expression every other time. But still, to my  mind, the  German language  is  more difficult  than English. A learner should learn  step by  step how  to  write the  sentence  correctly, how  to use a typical expression and  only in that case he or  she  will write without mistakes.As  you  see,  I am trying to do translations  by myself at first and than after your corrections  I  see whether  the  sentence is correct or  not.
In order to learn Polish a  person should have some special skills, much free time and  great  motivation to study it. For slavic people  it is  easier to learn , cause their languages have many similarities.
Concerning German language, I think it is  impossible  to learn it  without a  teacher, but to my mind I am at the  stage, when I  can do it on my own, because  the teacher could not give me that kind of  information which I  can receive  from native speaker. So I hope I  can continue my studying on this forum with your  help and  without posting much spam here.
Chat:     
As a tongue, any language is first and foremost spoken. These skills you cannot learn here.  #788979
von Proteus-, 2015-02-12, 15:00  like dislike  Spam?  62.46.130....

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung