Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 the idol »
« please help me with my German.. Thanks    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
sich unter Wert anbieten  
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2015-04-17, 14:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Is this the same as "sich unter Wert verkaufen" (i.e. to sell oneself short) or is it more "to undervalue oneself"?

I don't think there's a huge difference between the two sentences I gave in the English, but for me "selling yourself short" is more about what you say about yourself to others, but "undervaluing yourself" is more about how you feel about yourself internally, for instance I might think that I'm the greatest birthday cake maker of all time, but still only mumble something to someone else about having made a cake or two, and I would think that that would be selling myself short, but not necessarily undervaluing myself. On the other hand, "undervaluing yourself" could also be viewed as an external thing, as you might set too low a value when telling others your value or charging for what you do.
Antwort: 
you don't ask for what you're worth  #797222
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2015-04-17, 13:09  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
I think it's pretty much a toss up.  But I think "verkaufen" refers more to a done deal, whereas "anbieten" may mean he/she hasn't gotten the job yet or whatever other activity they misrepresented themselves for.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-04-17, 13:13  like dislike  Spam?  
My text is more general than that - this is simply a tendency of a certain personality type. But after having to try so hard to differentiate between what the two options I gave in English actually meant, in the end I decided there wasn't that much difference between them after all and "undervalue yourself" surely had to cover it, whether it was meant internally or externally. It's phrases like that that make me question the extent to which any of use truly understand the meaning of what others are trying to express or whether anyone truly understands us! (Still, it was a fun text and I enjoyed it.)
Chat:     
von iriemonloggedout, 2015-04-17, 13:39  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.112....
I don't think it's that you undervalue your own abilities. You may well know exactly what you are capable of but you don't go round and tell the world what a wonderfully skilled ..... you are. Possibly because you're introvert and don't like extrovert behaviour. But just a guess.
Antwort: 
Point of spelling: it is unter Wert (noun!)  #797240
von Proteus-, 2015-04-17, 13:52  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.51....
etwas unter [seinem] Wert (Marktwert) verkaufen   http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Wert
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-04-17, 14:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, Proteus, I've changed that now.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-04-17, 16:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, Iriemon, I think this was indeed being said about an introvert, in which case "sell yourself short" would also have been good.
Chat:     
von iriemonloggedout, 2015-04-17, 16:23  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.112....
you're welcome

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten