Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Polizeiinspektorat / Inspektorat »
« to help walk sb. through the process of sth.    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Polizeiinspektorat / Inspektorat  
von Windfall (GB), 2015-05-26, 10:42  like dislike  Spam?  
For my Wohnsitzbeschienigung I need to translate "Polizeiinspektorat" into US English. It's the issuing body and this: http://www.bern.ch/stadtverwaltung/sue/polizeiinspektorat
I'm not sure if either "Police Department" or "Police Inspectorate" is right here. Police Department would (I think) be a whole police force/regional unit of the police (e.g. LAPD). On the other hand, "police inspectorate" (in BE at least) looks like it's the people who inspect the police Wikipedia(EN): Her_Majesty%27s_Inspectorate_of_Constabulary and I'm pretty sure it's not that. Any ideas what  it  actually is?
Antwort: 
I don't think that translates to any one entity.   #801813
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2015-05-26, 10:46  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
http://www.bern.ch/stadtverwaltung/sue/polizeiinspektorat
Some of those tasks are handled by a variety of offices over here.  I guess it's the same in Britain.
Antwort: 
von Sasso, 2015-05-26, 10:47  like dislike  Spam?  78.41.149....
In Germany and Austria "Polizeiinspektorat" is a police station. In Switzerland it seems to be what is called Polizeikommissariat in Germany and Austria.

Wikipedia(DE): Polizeikommissariat_(Deutschland)
Antwort: 
it's a   registration office  ....  #801818
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2015-05-26, 10:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
or  dict.cc: Stadtverwaltung  #801821
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2015-05-26, 10:55  like dislike  Spam?  
but not Polizeikommissariat .....
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-05-26, 10:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks everyone, so is it safe to go with "Police Registration Office"?
Antwort: 
Safe from a language point of view, but advise against it.  #801829
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-05-26, 12:05  like dislike  Spam?  
For US-English, I would leave the police out of this and use Residence Registration Office. This is because the only people in the US who are required to register with the police are certain convicted criminals. The police registration (and publication of the addresses) of convicted sex offenders is a popular subject of conversation in the US, so the association between "police registration" and "criminal" is strong. As you probably know, there is no general residence registration requirement in any of the US states.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2015-05-26, 12:08  like dislike  Spam?  
Sadly too late for my translation, I sent it back already.

Hmm, that's a tricky one. Only certain types of criminals are required to register with the police in the UK too (no one else has to register their address at all, like in the US). On the other hand, I didn't immediately assume "police" implied criminal. On the third hand, I've several times lived in a country where I've been required to register, so am probably not approaching this with the eyes of someone unfamiliar with the Swiss or German system. On the fourth hand, leaving "police" out when it's so clearly part of the word makes me a bit nervous. Sadly I have no idea why he wanted this translated into English (I find it hard to imagine a system that doesn't record your residence demanding to see proof of residence from another country - I wonder if he was simply asked for proof of previous address, in which case your future electricity company is probably not going to be too judgemental about the inclusion of the word "police").
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-05-26, 12:27  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, and it's even trickier wen you have to translate Polizeiliches Führungszeugnis.
Let's just say that most people living in the US can't imagine having to register their residence with some state authority, and would be even more incredulous if you would tell them that their local ill-trained and inept police force would be that authority. As to being judgemental: I was thinking more of a knee-jerk reaction on part of your typical US-reader: "Police? What's he done wrong?" No big deal, just musings on a slow morning.
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2015-05-26, 12:34  like dislike  Spam?  
Ah, cultural translation. You can translate the words, but it would take several essays to explain why the original impact wasn't the same as it appears in the new language. I hope your police start getting better training.
Antwort: 
von Proofreader, 2015-05-26, 12:52  like dislike  Spam?  80.108.188...
When you translate an official Swiss document you need not worry about the mental associations of US citizens. The purpose of translating such a document is to tell the English-speaking reader which authority has dealt with it.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-05-26, 13:53  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Proofreader: That's true to some degree. And no-concern translations take less time to do, so there's an added benefit.  :-)

I hope you know I'm being facetious. But really, you could turn your argument around: it is of no concern to the reader of the translation who registers residences in Switzerland. The important thing to know is that a residence (an address, in other words) was being registered with the appropriate authorities.
Antwort: 
Zitat: Polizeiinspektion (CH) - ... sollte als Helvetismus gekennzeichnet sein, denn eine Polizeiinspektion ist sonst überall eine police station   #801856
von Proteus-, 2015-05-26, 14:46  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.52...
Vgl. auch 10:47

So police inspectorate is definitely out.

Maybe (here): registration office at the local police station would make matters clear to Anglo-Saxon minds.

From a service point of view, this is quite handy. It's round the corner rather than the unwieldy Einwohnermeldeamt at a central location with all the inevitable attendant loss of time.
Antwort: 
Source: https://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idThread=365166&am...  #801857
von Proteus-, 2015-05-26, 14:47  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.52...
Chat:     
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2015-05-26, 15:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Gibts bei uns in Ö eine Polizeitinspektion? Ich dachte wir hätten nur Kommissariate? Und im Duden steht leider nichts von schweiz, sondern 'nachgeordnete Polizeibehörde'. Laut Wiki gibts den Begriff in der Schweiz gar nicht. (In Ö aber angeblich schon.) Verwirrend.
Antwort: 
von Sasso, 2015-05-26, 15:32  like dislike  Spam?  78.41.149....
Na ja, Wiki ist ja keine verlässliche und erschöpfende Informationsquelle. Das hat nichts zu sagen. Polizeiinspektionen und Kommissariate sind parallele Einrichtungen, letztere sind auch mit Kripo-Beamten besetzt, erstere nur mit "Uniformierten".

Vor der Zusammenlegung von Polizei und Gendarmerie hießen die Polizeiinspektionen in Österreich laut Variantenwörterbuch Polizeiwachzimmer und Gendarmerieposten.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten