Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   FI   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 A little rain please... »
« hätten nehmen können (Reihenfolge der Verben)    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
A little rain please...  
von Jim46 (US), Last modified: 2015-06-11, 05:29  like dislike  Spam?  
http://ecowatch.com/2015/06/09/lake-mead-critical-low-drought/

The photo is deceiving.  This is a large lake.  It is currently about 150 feet (45 m.)
below capacity.
Chat:     
... and the band plays on.   #804258
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2015-06-11, 06:09  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
People continue to elect politicians who pretend nothing needs to be done, nothing can be done or it's too expensive to do anything.  
Atlanta's Lake Lanier got so low they posted lake levels in the papers daily.  Lakefront property was a fair walk from the shore.  Politicians ran around like headless chickens and bemoaned the state of affairs.  Then we got rain and now talk about water rights between Georgia and neighboring states are suspended (again.)  
Scientists agree that water woes are here to stay and our current rainy season is just a hiatus from the problem.  Yet people take the word of air heads over that, as long as they don't have to deal with the truth.  What people don't get is that warmer climate doesn't equate warmer weather, but more extreme weather patterns.  We could prepare for what is to come, but the people at the helm won't.  So, we'll just have to deal with the consequences.
Chat:     
Lake Mead currently at 37% of capacity  #804259
von Dwight (US), 2015-06-11, 07:08  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
golden drops  #804272
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2015-06-11, 09:25  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
Chat:     
von iriemonloggedout, 2015-06-11, 09:26  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.112....
here, water consumption has been metred for many years. The simple result: people use less water as they have to pay for it. Drawback for the consumers: water is forever becoming more expensive. As a consequence, many new-builts include underground rain water storage tanks. Unfortunately, this only helps in the medium-term and not when there is a drought....
Chat:     
Typos - metered and new-builds :-)  #804279
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2015-06-11, 09:42  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von iriemonloggedout, 2015-06-11, 14:33  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.112....
thanks Lllama.... didn't check it though before going out.....
Chat:     
Farm living  #804310
von Jim46 (US), 2015-06-11, 14:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Farmhouses here have their own well.  There is no charge for water.  The hand pump has long ago
been replaced by a submersible electric unit.  The only costs are a little electricity, and perhaps
pump replacement after a number of years.

Our well is three feet in diameter and was dug by hand, long ago, to a depth of 100 feet (30 m.)
Yeah, men used to do things like that.  There is an old saying, "colder than a well-diggers ass",
as the men working  bent-over in a small space were in frequent contact with the well wall.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-06-11, 17:21  like dislike  Spam?  
A few years ago, a farm near my present house was sold. The buyers turned most of the land into a golf course. They named the golf course after a Native American tribe which left the area in 1627 shortly after the English colonists (in retaliation for a 1622 massacre) killed about 200 members of the tribe by giving them poison. But I digressed. The point of this is to relate how I am anticipating the sudden drying-up of my well because of the golf course's watering habits.
Oh well, can't stand in the way of progress, as they say. As a footnote: why do developers always name their developments after that which has been driven off the land or destroyed? "Deer Run," "Shady Glen," Merry Oaks," and so on? Can't be "bad conscience,"
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-06-11, 17:25  like dislike  Spam?  
I hope there's enough water for you and the golf course too.  The first droughty period
will tell.  You can be sure that green greens are a higher priority than you.  Maybe you will
have to drill deeper, if that usually gives good results there.  Good luck.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-06-11, 18:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, Jim, I see the local well digger's rig in people's yards every so often doing exactly that. He replaced a burned-out pump in my well 5 years ago, should've had him drill down a bit at that time. Perhaps time is on my side and I'll be in some dreary "long-term care facility" before my well dries up. I'll miss my wonderful well water. Compared to it, city water tastes like horse piss.
Chat:     
von iriemonloggedout, 2015-06-11, 19:14  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.112....
in Germany there is nothing old-fashioned about it. The land of engineers, they have come up with some pretty neat and thoroughly modern systems.

http://www.bosy-online.de/Regenwassernutzung.htm

And they all have to comply with some regulation of course ;-))

The link to the regulation is just "for fun"... http://www.gemeindewerke-bovenden.de/media/rwna_nutzung_von_betrieb...
Chat:     
Old-fashioned for me pls...   :-)  #804334
von Jim46 (US), 2015-06-11, 19:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von iriemonloggedout, 2015-06-11, 19:33  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.112....
:-)
Chat:     
Michael  #804348
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2015-06-11, 21:25  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
You can check with your local county watershed management office.  I don't think golf-courses count as agriculture.  There may be a local usage category for recreational facilities in your county's water allocations ordinance.  But most places surprisingly enough do have codes as to who gets to use how much water and with what priority.  Residential is usually pretty far down the totem pole, but if the golf course lowers your water table to interfere with your drinking water supply you can file a complaint with the county.  

I think developers try to advertize the ideas that make people want to live in an area.  Trees, watching wildlife etc.  Then of course those same people want McMansions instead of small houses, don't want shade in their yard, want to eat their own vegetables instead of having wildlife eat it, use weedkillers and fertilizer to manicure their English lawn and spray whatever Ortho and Bayer concoct as soon as a bug shows up anywhere.  They prefer parkland and foreign horticultural species to native shrubs and "weeds" (wildflowers.) So, the trees get cut down on their lot, the deer get chased away and the birds don't find anything to eat.  The weird thing is that the very people who cause all this then complain how the neighborhood has changed from what it used to be.  Duh!?
Chat:     
Lisa  #804383
von MichaelK (US), 2015-06-12, 03:01  like dislike  Spam?  
I've checked all this out. Golf is king around here and if you question it, you're a crackpot. The local ordinances state that golf courses should use surface water and/or stormwater collection facilities for irrigation. Should, not must.
Your second paragraph is right on the money. People come out here to experience "the country," then promptly ruin it. I could go on about this forever, but won't.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten