Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   FI   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Es wird immer der Inhalt von beiden Information... »
« bildungsnah    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Klare Sache – und damit hopp!  
von MannMitHund (US), 2015-06-11, 23:36  like dislike  Spam?  
I'm not sure I completely understand the implications of this phrase. It seems to mean something like "That's clear enough—time to move on," but I feel I might be missing something here. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Antwort: 
Quote: I think an idiomatic translation would be "Plain as your face and Bob's your uncle"!  #804373
von Proteus-, 2015-06-12, 00:25  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.124...
Antwort: 
Proteus  #804375
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2015-06-12, 00:33  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
... idiomatic BE.  MannMitHund is from hereabouts.
Wikipedia(EN): Bob%27s_your_uncle
Seems to translate to
... and there you have it.
But I don't know how close that would be to that German idiom.  Can't say I've ever encountered that one in any meaning but accompanying the action of throwing something into the trash.
Antwort: 
Might also be: Sure enough - and that's it! A bit pleonastic, this Kempowski quote, isn't it?   #804380
von Proteus-, 2015-06-12, 01:29  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.124...
Antwort: 
Interesting stuff. To me, anyway.  #804382
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-06-12, 03:11  like dislike  Spam?  
In the second half of the 1800s, ...und damit holla! was a somewhat harsh indication that one didn't want to argue the matter any longer (Proteus' "and that's it!")
Google: "und damit holla"
There's the variant ...und damit hopp und holla, which Kempowski's parents may have known. Perhaps they dropped the holla at one point and the ...und damit hopp became part of that Kempowski family expression.
If I had to translate Klare Sache...und damit hopp!, I would probably start out with "Pretty evident--enough said." I don't hear the adversarial tone of ...und damit holla! in the Kempowski expression.
Antwort: 
Context is a cruel mistress!  #804385
von alex-k (DE), 2015-06-12, 04:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Just to add one more layer of mystery: "(alla) hopp" can be used in some parts to mean "let's go!" So this could also mean: that's clear then, now let's move on.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2015-06-12, 09:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich hätte das "und damit hopp" als deutschsprachiger Leser auch als "auf gehts", "los gehts", "pack mas" oder "an die Arbeit" verstanden.
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-06-12, 11:35  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, I've heard the repeated hopp as a shout of encouragement from spectators in certain sports. My first thought was ex-und-hopp, with the hopp! in the weg damit! connotation.
At the link, ...und damit hopp und holla! in a Theodor Storm story. Clearly in the sense "and that's the way it's going to be!," like the more modern ...und damit basta!
Google: storm "damit hopp und holla"
Antwort: 
(1) hopp aus dem Französischen (allez hop) > los geht's; und hopp > und los  #804461
von Proteus-, 2015-06-12, 14:46  like dislike  Spam?  193.81.114....
Antwort: 
(2) hopp ist im Deutschen komplexer - es kann auch heißen spring! oder im Sinn von hopp und ex > los und fertig / Schluss  #804462
von Proteus-, 2015-06-12, 14:56  like dislike  Spam?  193.81.114....
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-06-13, 01:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, hopp / hoppe / hops is complex. From childhood: Hoppe, hoppe, Reiter / Wenn er fällt, dann schreit er.... Cf. Hoppepferd.  Later on: hopsgehen > to croak (= to die), to become lost / to break beyond repair.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten