Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 auf vs zu (die/dem Bank) »
« Kann man nur "anhand von" in diesem Text verwen...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
politcy  
von philistine (DE/ZA), 2015-07-21, 09:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Is it possible that google lists more than 21.000 typos of the word policy, or does the word politcy really exist? Among other subjects I've studied politics and have never come across this word, nor can I find it in any dictionary. I found the word in a quote from a book ("The tiny American press corps chipped away steadily at the total secrecy, which had become impossible politcy to sustain")...
Antwort: 
Politcy  #809714
von Sunblind-Duck (GB), Last modified: 2015-07-21, 10:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Looks like the intended word was 'policy'. I've never come across 'politcy'.
Antwort: 
YES  #809715
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2015-07-21, 10:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Google is terrible. We have the dictionary where people can suggest entries and others vote on it. We have found that simple Google hits are no guarantor for correct usage or grammar, let alone accuracy. Even 20,000 or 30,000 hits mean nothing.

Just for the fun of it, one of our contributors googled some nonsense word - and yes, he had plenty of results. This is one of the reasons why I use Yahoo instead. The other one is that you can restrict it to the UK. You can do that in Google as well but it's less efficient.

Try using inverted commas i.e. "policy" or "policy" site:uk (us, or whichever country you need). That improves results somewhat.
Chat:     
Far from actually coming up with the 21,400 results Google initially claims, evidence of the currency of this typo boils down to a mere 384 hits   #809758
von Proteus-, 2015-07-21, 16:29  like dislike  Spam?  193.81.114...
About 21,400 results https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22politcy%22+%22%22+%22%22+

Page 40 of about 384 results https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22politcy%22+%22%22+%22%22&start=386

DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE AS TO THE NUMBER OF RESULTS GIVEN AT THE OUTSET. QUITE OFTEN THESE FIGURES AMOUNT TO CHILDISH BRAGGADOCIO!
Chat:     
Amen  #809793
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-07-21, 18:29  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von philistine (DE/ZA), 2015-07-21, 20:26  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks guys. Of course I don't blindly trust search engines - I prefer to use my common sense. And I don't think it's a specific google problem, as I also found a lot of hits on other search engines - and I always search terms with inverted commas. But what is still weird is that politcy is a strange typo as the "t" is not next to any of the other letters, and the word even comes up in books, on government sites and academic papers - people copying other people's mistakes?
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-07-22, 08:04  like dislike  Spam?  
interesting problem. I get no results when I search on Yahoo. https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A9mSs3RJMq9VYGoAdrVLBQx.;_y...

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten