Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Leserführung »
« committable    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Leserführung   
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2015-08-18, 12:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Eine logische Textstruktur sichert Leserführung.
The obvious translation is "reader guidance", so "A logical text structure ensures reader guidance", but that doesn't sound very clear to me. Does anyone know a better way of expressing this? What's actually meant by "Leserführung" here? "A logical text structure ensures the reader is guided through the text"? "...ensures good comprehensibility for the reader"? "...ensures readability"?
Antwort: 
ensures good readibility  #813010
von 3mmm (DE), 2015-08-18, 12:21  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-08-18, 12:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, 3meto
Antwort: 
von alex-k (DE), 2015-08-18, 12:58  like dislike  Spam?  
I think readability (like Lesbarkeit) covers both the structure and syntax of the text as well as the typeface it's written in. Leserführung just covers the former, taking the reader by the hand through this ever so clear text. I think something with leading our guiding the reader through the text would be more appropriate. If that's not too small a hair to split.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2015-08-18, 13:20  like dislike  Spam?  
4;alex, I don't think we're so specific about readability. It simply means "easy to read", which I assume means that no factors that make things hard to read are present, but if someone told me a novel was very "readable" I wouldn't for a moment assume they were commenting on the font/typeface! I would assume they simply meant that it was not confusing or difficult to follow. This leaves me with the problem that "A logical text structure ensures (good) readability" is a sentence that is easy to read. On the other hand (as is often the case when trying to get the nuances of German into English) "A logical text structure ensures the reader is guided through the text" has less good readability (IMHO). My text is actually explaining what the company in question does to make sure your text is readable, so I'm not sure a translation that is less easy to read is ideal, but on the other hand, clients are very keen on accuracy in the type of text I'm translating (not pure marketing in this case). Tricky. What about "A logical structure ensures the text is easy to follow".?
Antwort: 
DE "Leserführung" ist Jargon, EN readability ist Standardsprache.  #813020
von rabend (DE/FR), Last modified: 2015-08-18, 13:16  like dislike  Spam?  
Diese "Leserführung" klingt in meinen Ohren geradezu abscheulich. Ich fürchte, so abscheuliches Deutsch kann man gar nicht in andere Sprachen übersetzen.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-08-18, 13:21  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, rabend. I'll stick with "readability" then.
Antwort: 
von anonymous, 2015-08-18, 13:23  like dislike  Spam?  68.131.98....
"Readability" refers to comprehension of a text in terms of language level.  Leserführung  refers to arranging the text in such a way that the reader doesn't lose the thread of the text.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-08-18, 13:26  like dislike  Spam?  
4;anon, is there a word in English you think covers that? I disagree that readability is restricted to language level (although I would expect it to include language level, i.e. no unnecessarily difficult words given the target audience). I wouldn't call a text written in simple English, but a confusing order/with a confusing structure "readable".
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-08-18, 13:26  like dislike  Spam?  
4;anon, is there a word in English you think covers that? I disagree that readability is restricted to language level (although I would expect it to include language level, i.e. no unnecessarily difficult words given the target audience). I wouldn't call a text written in simple English, but a confusing order/with a confusing structure "readable".
Antwort: 
von alex-k (DE), 2015-08-18, 13:28  like dislike  Spam?  
I was aware that I might be applying my scalpel under the microscope. Leserführung is not everyday parlance, either. Maybe jargon but I suspect somebody just wanted to avoid using Verständlichkeit again. Every sentence that starts with "according to Wikipedia..." should be immediately ignored. That being said, according to Wikipedia "readability" can be both. Leserführung in your sentence does not strike me as a reference to the font and layout. Therefore, I thought I should point out the dropped nuance in the translation fully aware that in the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter!
Antwort: 
von alex-k (DE), 2015-08-18, 13:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Isn't comprehension of a text and not losing the metaphorical thread within it one and the same?
Antwort: 
what about: "A logical text structure serves as / provides a helping hand for / to the reader(s)"  #813028
anonymous, 2015-08-18, 13:34  like dislike  Spam?  95.118.76...
that gives a sense of guidance but it is not too patronising
Chat:     
von alex-k (DE), 2015-08-18, 13:37  like dislike  Spam?  
Also, the more I read it, the more the sentence strikes me as BS of this caliber: Letting fresh air into your home ensures a stable fresh air supply.
Antwort: 
Meines Erachtens vermittelt gerade das Verb (sichert / ensures)  #813031
von rabend (DE/FR), Last modified: 2015-08-18, 13:40  like dislike  Spam?  
den Gedanken (absichernder) Führung -- absichernd, jedoch nicht unbedingt am Gängelband führend.
Antwort: 
Das ist der Witz beim Jargon:  #813032
von rabend (DE/FR), 2015-08-18, 13:43  like dislike  Spam?  
BS fällt nicht sofort auf.
Antwort: 
readers' guidance is dated jargon  #813033
von Proteus-, 2015-08-18, 13:43  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.237....
Antwort: 
Allerdings in einem anderen Sinn.  #813035
von rabend (DE/FR), 2015-08-18, 13:49  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von anonymous, 2015-08-18, 14:13  like dislike  Spam?  68.131.98....
Well yes, I (anon 68.131...) agree that Leserführung is basically BS. But those who use the word claim that it includes layout ("guiding the reader's gaze"). That does make it stand apart from "readability." I'm just parroting those who write about these things--I don't think I'd ever use Leserführung myself.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2015-08-18, 14:27  like dislike  Spam?  
even though I'm not familiar with the German term, after the explanations I wonder whether it isn't just guiding the reader's eye, parallel to the use in the composition of paintings.
https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A9mSs2a_I9NVWXAAglRLBQx.;_y...
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-08-18, 14:30  like dislike  Spam?  
My text is Swiss, so possibly this is a word primarily in Swiss usage. Given the further context, I don't think they mean "guide the eye", I think they mean the fact it's well structured makes it easy to follow or, possibly, leads the reader to be convinced by the arguments presented.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-08-18, 14:34  like dislike  Spam?  
ok, just a thought. You have the text in front of you and Swiss German is quite different anyway.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2015-08-18, 14:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, uffie. Your thoughts are always welcome and appreciated :)
Chat:     
:-)  #813058
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-08-18, 15:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
"Leserführung" mag in der Schweiz vorkommen, ich wage jedoch zu bezweifeln, dass es sich dabei  #813065
von rabend (DE/FR), Last modified: 2015-08-18, 15:38  like dislike  Spam?  
um einen Helvetismus handelt.
Ein gesprochenes Läserfüerig kann ich mir jedenfalls kaum vorstellen.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung