Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...


Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Produktionshandbuch Automotive English>German »
« Einen dict-Eintrag wert? (NICHT ernst gemeint!!...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Crowning a Roof?  
von lazlo, 2015-08-23, 19:28  like dislike  Spam?  45.17.192...
At what point in construction does the roof of a house get crowned in Germany?
Crowning  #813615
von Sunblind-Duck (GB), 2015-08-23, 19:57  like dislike  Spam?  
If I remember correctly, it is when the roof has been completed.
von Jim46 (US), Last modified: 2015-08-23, 20:11  like dislike  Spam?  
"does the roof get crowned" is poor English.  At what point is the roof crowned?

Regardless of country, a new structure is built from bottom up.  When the roof framing
is complete, it is immediately covered with plywood (nowadays) and the shingles or other
material is installed, with the crown being the finishing touch.  This protects the unfinished
interior and allows work to continue inside on rainy days.

On a large structure, the roof may be completed (and crowned) in sections.
von lazlo, 2015-08-23, 20:23  like dislike  Spam?  45.17.192...
von anonymous, 2015-08-23, 20:44  like dislike  Spam?  68.131.98....
Was bedeutet "crowning a roof?" Eine Kuppel aufsetzen?
No  #813619
von Jim46 (US), Last modified: 2015-08-23, 21:13  like dislike  Spam?  
Here's a photo of roof crown.

Edit:  That part of a roof is called a ridge.  So ridge crown is the proper term.
von anonymous, 2015-08-23, 22:57  like dislike  Spam?  68.131.98....
Thanks, Jim46. Never heard it call "crowning."
von anonymous, 2015-08-23, 23:25  like dislike  Spam?  68.131.98....
...called, of course. Old age error, rather than too much wine in my crown.
For German equivalents, please look up crown in the Routledge dictionary (which you may want to bookmark)  #813629
von Proteus-, 2015-08-24, 00:36  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.51...
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-08-24, 08:40  like dislike  Spam?  
many years ago I used the Routledge Technical Dictionary professionally. Not all entries are good as I found out to my chagrin, so be careful.
Jim46  #813670
von Sunblind-Duck (GB), Last modified: 2015-08-24, 12:10  like dislike  Spam?  
When I lived in Germany, I recall that houses were built under a large canopy in order to allow construction in all weathers. As a matter of interest, here in the UK crowning is known as topping out or topping off, although I have never seen it done.
von Jim46 (US), 2015-08-24, 12:33  like dislike  Spam?  
It seems to me that would be difficult and a lot of extra work.  Once a roof is finished,
it is the canopy.  An experienced crew can accomplish that surprisingly fast.  I've seen
canvas tarps used temporarily on replacement roofs if rain threatened.  In this case,
the interior must be kept dry at all costs.
AE perspective.  #813676
von anonymous, 2015-08-24, 12:58  like dislike  Spam?  68.131.98....
"Topping out" or topping off" used to be the term for a ceremony marking the completion of the roof structure before the shingling or other type of covering. The term for closing off the roof at the very top was "to cap the roof." The course of shingles closing the roof was the "ridge cap." Perhaps all these terms have changed now, or there's some confusion here.
topping off / out > Aufrichte, Dachgleichenfeier, Firstfeier, Gleichenfeier, Richtfest  #813679
von Proteus-, 2015-08-24, 13:35  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.45...
crown in other relevant dictionaries  #813682
von Proteus-, 2015-08-24, 14:03  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.45...
re: roof crown Jim 21:13 picture  #813686
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2015-08-24, 14:25  like dislike  Spam?  
von anonymous, 2015-08-24, 15:03  like dislike  Spam?  68.131.98....
4;uffie: Good pictures of a ridge cap > First/Dachgrat. Still not convinced that "roof crown" is a valid term for that.

I'm now wondering if the original poster wanted some information on topping out, not ridge caps. It's blindingly obvious that a ridge cap is put on the roof after all the flat shingling has been done (from bottom to top). It's not so obvious when the topping out occurs, so a question makes sense.
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-08-24, 15:47  like dislike  Spam?  
thanks anon68. I've never heard of a 'roof crown' or 'crowning a roof' before but perhaps some of the vocabulary is different in the UK.

Lazlo may well have referred to the topping out ceremony. Here in Germany they seem to do it once the carpenters have finished (not the roofers)

NB I just hope nobody gets the idea of entering all this vocab in dict.... so many country differences...

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten