Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 bland (weather) »
« Zielfirma    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Hello dear ?  
von CaCiCo, 2015-09-09, 11:32  like dislike  Spam?  91.1.209...
Hallo zusammen.
Ich schreibe grade nach 15 Jahren keinem Kontakt mit einem kanadischen Bekannten. Er benutzt als Anrede "Hello dear" (ohne Namen) - heißt das soviel wie "Hallo Liebes" oder wie kann ich das übersetzen? Und was kann ich passenderweise zu ihm als Anrede schreiben, was ebenso liebenswürdig klingt ohne direkt zu vertraulich zu sein. Ich bin es ein wenig leid, immer nur "hello" und "hi"+seinem Namen zu schreiben.
Ich danke euch im Voraus.
Antwort: 
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-09-09, 13:55  like dislike  Spam?  
das muss nicht unbedingt Liebes heißen. Oft einfach nur im Sinne Hallo liebe CaCiCo, also nichts übertrieben Vertrautes. my dear ist wieder etwas anderes. Für etwas kreativeres: hello sunshine, hello mate, aber alles kontextbedingt.
Antwort: 
von Proofreader, 2015-09-10, 03:40  like dislike  Spam?  84.113.16...
Vielleicht haben ja unsere Muttersprachler Ideen für eine liebenswürdig Anrede, die nicht allzu vertraulich klingt.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2015-09-10, 09:31  like dislike  Spam?  
I see "Hello dear" as similar to "Hallo Schatz". "Hello" and "Hi" are almost interchangeable, except "Hi" is less formal, more modern and more common in emails. "Hi dear" would sound odd, but "Hello dear" doesn't (I think because the two words together sound old-fashioned and like something your mother would say). I would happily write "Hi <his name>," in response. To respond with a similar phrase takes very strong knowledge of English because lots of similar phrases have connotations (about the speaker, where the speaker comes from and about the relationship) that might not be appropriate for your relationship. A lot of such greetings in Britain are highly regional. Why don't you use a German phrase with "Hallo" and a suitable word like "Schatz"? A relatively neutral one in English would be "Hey there," or "Hey there <his name>,"
Antwort: 
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-09-10, 11:30  like dislike  Spam?  
I see this differently. The German Schatz is - in conversation and casual correspondence - a lot more familiar than 'dear'. Nobody would dream of saying "Hallo Schatz(i), wie geht's denn heute" in a supermarket for example. In the UK, it's not that uncommon to say to somebody "hello dear, how are you today" when talking to a regular female customer.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-09-10, 13:26  like dislike  Spam?  
4;uffie, good point, but its meaning depends on the context. It can be used within families like Schatz is used. What German term of endearment would supermarket staff and bus drivers use to members of the public, if any? I suspect a cultural difference here too, as there is more of a tendency towards formality between supermarket staff and customers in Germany than there is in the UK, which is why Frau Maier sits on the checkout in Germany, but Liz sits on the checkout in the UK (according to their name badges).
Antwort: 
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2015-09-10, 15:35  like dislike  Spam?  
absolutely Windfall. I can't think of a term of endearment used with members of the public. Perhaps, in my case, 'junge Frau' (when I'm clearly not ;-) .....

In my village, the Du is used for people living in the village or, as a second option, the Ihr/Euch, i.e. wie kann ich Euch helfen? It is less formal and distanced than the Sie/Ihnen.

But yes, there is a strong cultural difference. A friend of mine told me that his British company took over a German firm and staff were told they could address everybody by their first name, including members of the board. Apparently, it was quite difficult for German staff  and some just couldn't bring themselves to do it.
Antwort: 
von CaCiCo, 2015-09-11, 12:46  like dislike  Spam?  91.1.196....
Thank you so much for your answers. I guess I just overestimate the term "dear" and it's just a very kind way of him saying hello. You're so right concerning cultural difference. Canadians (and this one in special) are probably more open and cordial than most Germans I know including myself ;) . So maybe I just pick out a salutation I feel comfortable with and hope not to blunder myself or even to alienate him. Perhaps this is a good chance to loosen German inhibitions =D
If you have any more suggestions of kind informal and heartfelt salutations please give me a hand. My school-English isn't very helpful ;)
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2015-09-11, 14:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Your English sounds pretty good to me :)
Antwort: 
Windfall  #815854
von CaCiCo, 2015-09-11, 17:02  like dislike  Spam?  91.1.20...
Thank you Windfall. But you better don't ask, how many words I looked up to write that text. And luckily I write with that Canadian guy with huuuuge breaks so that I can do the same there. I would be lost if we skyped or did video/voice call in facebook. Just for "hello dear" dictionary wasn't helpful at all.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung