Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Wenn (Sie ... in den Händen halten) + Zeitform-... »
« Marketing Text    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Da geschieht es (denn) wohl, daß ...  
von atemp (US), 2015-09-15, 21:39  like dislike  Spam?  
...und daher kommt es, daß die Feste... die schönsten und herrlichsten sind. Da geschieht es denn wohl, daß schmucke Geister...sich durch die Wolken schwingen.

I really haven't a clue what Da geschieht es denn wohl means; geschehen is as far as I get. Any clues?
Antwort: 
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2015-09-15, 22:16  like dislike  Spam?  
sorry, I don't know the correct English wording.

"And then it came to pass" would be a rough equivalent. I don't think it's possible to translate this literally.

Edited
Antwort: 
And then it came to pass... ?  #816448
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2015-09-15, 22:14  like dislike  Spam?  
This is a biblical phrase rather than one from fairy tales, but it says the same thing.

Google: "it came to pass"
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-09-15, 22:17  like dislike  Spam?  
thanks Llama. I knew something in the dark recesses of my brain, obviously too dark a corner...
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), 2015-09-15, 22:46  like dislike  Spam?  
uffie points the way with "came to happen." But there's something tentative about the phrase, as if the speaker is not completely certain that this will occur.  The degree of uncertainty is diminished by the wohl, which suggests that there's really a good chance that this will happen. Putting it all together, suggest "And then, it may well happen that..."

This is one of those junctions where E.T.A. crosses from the real into fantasy. The prior sentence deals with a down-to earth certainty--something that will always occur. But then, the writer hedges his bets. He's saying "Look folks, during these real events, this sort of magical stuff has happened and will probably happen again. But don't bet on it."
Chat:     
von atemp (US), 2015-09-15, 22:59  like dislike  Spam?  
I like the It may well happen though I still don't know what to make of the Da particle.

/Danke!
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-09-16, 00:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Da = at those occasions / instances / events. It's a temporal indication, although it looks like a locational one. Compare with "At that time...", where the 'at' doesn't indicate location, but a point in time.
Antwort: 
And thus handsome phantoms may chance to move across the clouds  #816468
von Proteus-, 2015-09-16, 01:14  like dislike  Spam?  193.83.6....
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2015-09-16, 08:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Here I would translate "da" with sth. like "in these moments".
Antwort: 
von queerbeet, 2015-09-16, 08:58  like dislike  Spam?  213.182.146....
"Da" refers to the "Feste" from the sentence before.
Antwort: 
And so it might be one's / your good fortune to encounter cute and neat spirits  ...  #816492
anonymous, 2015-09-16, 10:05  like dislike  Spam?  95.118.68....

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung