Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 https://www.google.de/webhp?hl=de »
« Feinsteinzeug    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Vor allem machs mir nach  
von tkbell (GB), Last modified: 2015-09-20, 15:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Please could someone help translate this into English - I am struggling to understand the sentence beginning "Vor allem" and the rest is included for context.

"Eine fatale Opuszahl: 70, wenn es sich um vollendete Jahre und nicht wie bei Ludwig van um zwei Trios in Es und D handelt! Gleich würd ich tauschen. Vielen Dank trotzdem für Deine lieben Wünsche. Vor allem machs mir nach, dann reden wir (ich auch?!!) weiter. Meine Frau grüßt Dich schönstens, ihr Mann umarmt Dich."

I think I understand "nachmachen" but what is it referring to?
Antwort: 
More context.   #817083
von Catesse (AU), 2015-09-20, 14:53  like dislike  Spam?  
The interpretation varies according as to whether the writer is a musician / composer or a man who has reached his 70th birthday.
A fairly safe translation in either case would be" "follow my example".
Chat:     
von tkbell (GB), 2015-09-20, 14:58  like dislike  Spam?  
He is a musician who has reached his 70th birthday, and writing to someone twelve years younger.

So is he saying - first, live as long as me and then we can have this discussion again about whether it is a good thing to reach 70 (if I am still alive).
Antwort: 
von alex-k (DE), 2015-09-20, 15:03  like dislike  Spam?  
The speaker apparently turned 70 and invites his friend to "copy" that achievement, i.e. make it to 70 without dying as well, in his own time.
"In any case, you should take my lead in this regard."
This "vor allem" is just to set his wishes apart from the intellectual opus talk before that. And it should be "mach's."
Antwort: 
Seventy years  #817093
von Catesse (AU), 2015-09-20, 15:21  like dislike  Spam?  
Bear in mind that "three score years and ten" was originally biblical. (Psalms 90)
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/380400.html
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), 2015-09-20, 15:35  like dislike  Spam?  
I think the dann reden wir weiter here means '...and we will keep on talking to one another.' I'm guessing that as soon as he wrote that, it occurred to him that he would be 82 when she turns 70.
Antwort: 
Vor allem machs mir nach...  #817101
von MagicEyes (DE), 2015-09-20, 15:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Vor allem machs mir nach und dann reden wir weiter...

meaning:  First of all you should do it after me ( become as old as me ) and then we will keep on talking to one another.
Cheers
Chat:     
von tkbell (GB), 2015-09-20, 16:08  like dislike  Spam?  
4;MagicEyes - the problem I have with that is that it doesn't make sense to wait twelve years until they talk again, hence why I suggested it might mean discussing this particular issue again.

(Context is that they are good friends...)
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-09-20, 16:29  like dislike  Spam?  
The dann refers to continuation. "If you keep on living, [then] we can keep on talking."
Antwort: 
Vor allem machs mir nach...  #817116
von MagicEyes (DE), 2015-09-20, 17:18  like dislike  Spam?  
4;tkbell... This "vor allem"  is much of an idiom in German, often used in daily conversation with not really deep relevance. You can hear it  steadily. Seems to be a favorite word for some people.

In this your case the whole sentense: Vor allem machs mir nach... is just a saying, a blabla with a wink. He/She do not really want you to wait twelve years for this discussion to continue, I mean,.. this particular issue.

Much more he/she will tell you in a roundabout way: look at me, I´m already 60/65/70years old, I´m fine. Take it as a "fishing vor compliments." And he/she is suggesting you to do the same: become as old as he/she in the same healthy, maybe happy way. Nothing more.

Vor allem, machs mir nach...dann reden wir weiter: Has more then one meaning. Depends on the situation and who says it. In you case it´s friendly.

But I can use the same sentense  the other way round - f.i. if some much more jounger person critisize me for something and makes me angry. Then the meaning is:  Shut up you greenhorn! Yust reach my age and  let us see what you have made from your life compared with me when you are the same age I´m now. (Lets talk again then)
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2015-09-20, 18:40  like dislike  Spam?  
"dann reden wir weiter" refers to talking about what it is like to be 70.
This "dann reden wir weiter" is pretty idiomatic in German, meaning if you have made this particular experience yourself, we can talk about it. Up till then you don't know what you are talking about.
It doesn't mean, that that they won't talk about other things until then.
Antwort: 
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2015-09-20, 19:52  like dislike  Spam?  
agree, let's talk about this again (let's discuss this again) once you've made this experience (once you know better)
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-09-21, 14:31  like dislike  Spam?  
I misunderstood the reden wir weiter here. Now that it's been explained, I remember it in this 'putting something on hold' sense. Komm du erst einmal in mein Alter.....
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-09-21, 11:02  like dislike  Spam?  
yep
Antwort: 
Here is my English translation from the German text...  #817223
von no-name, 2015-09-21, 15:38  like dislike  Spam?  23.16.168....
"Seventy, yikes! Especially, when talking about the human age, but not Beethoven's musical compositons by opus numbers, I would swap / trade that...in a heartbeat. Thanks a lot for sending your best wishes on my birthday, all the same. You asked me about how I felt about turning my big 7-0*, come back and tell me that in 12 years / when you hit that age, my dear friend. Meanwhile, my wife is saying hi and her old man / yours truly is sending you a big hug."

*I've added this sentence because I believe the younger guy had asked the older one about his feeling of reaching 70 years old in his previous message and thusly, the older guy made the comment about "machs mir nach..."(=wait until you're 70, then you'll know how being that age is like)

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten