Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   FI   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 einfach - simple, single or something else? »
« Faciology    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Schwimmarten  
von Leabhar (DE), 2015-10-26, 23:28  like dislike  Spam?  
Swim 100m in less than 1:40 minutes using a stroke in the front only.

"a stroke in the front" - was genau bezeichnet das?
front crawl - also Kraulschwimmen?
Oder nur die Arme für einen Schwimmzug (stroke) benutzen?
Antwort: 
von timfefe (AU/AT), Last modified: 2015-10-27, 06:21  like dislike  Spam?  
I guess "using a stroke in the front only" means "using the arms only".

We are talking about the minimum skill level expected from a surf lifesaver.

In order to reach a swimmer in distress, a surf lifesaver would often use a bodyboard. Depending on surf conditions, he/she may need to propel the board with the arms only, hence the required competency to swim reasonably fast using the upper body only.

If my guess is correct, then it has nothing to do with "front crawl". As long as you do 100m in less than 1:40 using the arms only, it doesn't matter what swimming stroke you use.

Having said all that, I may be way off the mark.
Antwort: 
http://www.ilsf.org/sites/ilsf.org/files/filefield/APP%2007%20ILS%2...  #821866
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2015-10-27, 08:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Another interpretation could be that it should be a stroke on the front only, meaning not backstroke, sidestroke, etc. So crawl, breaststroke and even butterfly would all be ok.

Finding the regulations in the original language (French?) might help clear it up, or if you are thinking about taking the exam, the organisers should be able to say exactly what is required.
Antwort: 
von Leabhar (DE), 2015-10-27, 10:37  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you for your answers.
I had the same things in mind, meaning it could be "just use arms" or "use any swimming stroke on the front" but I have to be sure about what it means exactly. I was asked to translate the ILS guidelines for a German livesafing organisation.

But if "a stroke on the front" is proper English for not backstroke, not sidestroke etc. then the author probably wanted to say this.
Antwort: 
A stroke on the front isn't particularly idiomatic, but is more understandable than in the front.  #821899
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2015-10-27, 12:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Perhaps you could write to the ILSF for clarification.

Also - typo: life-saving :-)
Antwort: 
von Leabhar (DE), 2015-10-27, 13:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Ok yes, since this sentence is really confusing, I should ask ILS.
Thanks for your help :)
Chat:     
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2015-10-27, 13:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Some comments:

1. It seems to me that if the ILSF had wanted to say "not backstroke, sidestroke, etc." they would have said "using a front stroke" rather than "using a stroke in the front only".

2. Another possibility is, that  "using a stroke in the front only".means swimming with eyes above water level looking at the target at all times, exactly like a lifesaver swimming towards a person in distress. From Wiki:
Lifesaving approach stroke (also known as head-up front crawl or Tarzan stroke): Similar to the front crawl, but with the eyes to the front above the water level, such as to observe the surroundings as for example a swimmer in distress or a ball.
So "using a stroke in the front only" would then mean that the hand/arm would always enter the water (to perform the next stroke) in front of the eyes.

3. Lifesaver and life saver: both are in use and acceptable. For example:
https://sls.com.au/AOE-2015-winner
Antwort: 
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2015-10-27, 14:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Some more comments :-)
re 1: the ILSF document was obviously written by someone whose first language is not English, which is why I originally gave my comment as another possible interpretation. It's therefore difficult to assume anything based on what a native speaker might say in any situation.
I'm not saying that my idea is correct and yours is wrong, just that it's not clear to me what is meant, as it's not a standard phrase in English - Google: "a stroke in the front only" - the only hits are the ILSF site itself or related sites.

re 2: but definitely not livesafing, which Leabhar wrote at 10:37 :-)
Chat:     
Lllama: yes, you are right.  #821965
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2015-10-27, 17:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Leabhar (DE), 2015-10-28, 02:38  like dislike  Spam?  
livesafing looked totally wrong (and writing it again hurts) but I was busy and just wanted to send this comment.
I'm sorry. I won't do it again! :-)

At least now I know that this sentence is really imprecise. And others have the same difficulties in trying to understand the precise meaning of it.
Thanks for your research and detailed answers.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten