Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Urgent help needed - sentence »
« Help needed in legal English, please!    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Overblown story?  
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-28, 13:27  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Weapons  #822091
von Catesse (AU), 2015-10-28, 13:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Is the article advocating shooting down the families at the borders?
In a real war, it takes a lot of AK-47s to match one barrel bomb or AGM.
Chat:     
Some Germans still remember where Adolf Hitler came from.  #822092
von Dracs (DE), 2015-10-28, 13:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-28, 13:52  like dislike  Spam?  
I think they're concerned with defense of home and family at the moment.
Chat:     
In Austria a strict licensing regime is in place. A shop that sells firearms to unauthorized persons is in for big trouble.   #822107
von Proteus-, 2015-10-28, 14:39  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.233...
Google: "" "" ""

Schusswaffen der Kategorie B
Definition:
Schusswaffen der Kategorie B sind Faustfeuerwaffen, Repetierflinten und halbautomatische Schußwaffen, die nicht Kategorie A sind. Der Bundesminister für Inneres kann bei einem einvernehmlichen Antrag aller Landesjagdverbänden, Schusswaffen von der Genehmigungspflicht ausnehmen, sofern es sich nicht um Faustfeuerwaffen mit einer Magazinkapazität von mehr als 3 Patronen handelt. (§ 19 WaffG)
Erwerb, Besitz und Führen: Der Erwerb, Besitz und das Führen ist nur aufgrund einer behördlichen Bewilligung zulässig.                                            Wikipedia(DE): Waffengesetz_1996
Chat:     
Copy-and-paste error: ... aller Jagdverbände, ... There are nine such associations. It has been notoriously hard to accommodate them all.   #822111
von Proteus-, 2015-10-28, 14:43  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.233...
Chat:     
von Proofreader, 2015-10-28, 14:50  like dislike  Spam?  84.113.16...
What dubious Website are you linking to, Jim46? It promotes a book on "Islamization", has no link to the source of informaton (Tiroler Tageszeitung), does not mention any quantities and has no hard facts suggesting that a rise in turnover is due to the migrant crisis and not to gun licence holders replacing their old guns. That's pure scaremongering.
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-28, 15:11  like dislike  Spam?  
I don't see the book promotion you speak of.  This is one of very many American "alternate" news
sites, who provide us with news that our mainstream outlets will not.  There is no link to the Tyrol
newspaper, because no one here could read it anyway.  Even the Czech speaker had to be translated.
An Austrian gun merchant provided more information.  Is he a liar?

I don't think gun stores there are empty because of people replacing old guns, do you?
Chat:     
von ddr (AT), 2015-10-28, 15:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Ausgerechnet die Tschechen, die so viel ich weiß noch keinen Flüchtling aufgenommen haben, tönen blöd herum!
Möglich, dass in Tirol mehr Feuerwaffen gekauft wurden, dort ziehen ja auch keine Flüchtlingsströme durch. Es ist immer wieder beobachtet worden, dass Fremden-Angst und Fremdenfeindlichkeit am größten dort sind, wo sich selten ein Flüchtling hinverirrt.
Die derzeitigen Flüchtlinge werden an der Grenze versorgt, in Züge oder Busse verfrachtet und an die deutsche Grenze gebracht, außer sie suchen in Österreich um Asyl an, dann geht es in Erstaufnahmezentren. Abgesehen von den Leuten, die sich freiwillig oder beruflich um Flüchtlinge kümmern, haben noch die wenigsten Österreicher einen oder eine von ihnen zu Gesicht bekommen.
Chat:     
ddr  #822127
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-28, 15:26  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you for the insight.  Are Austrian gun shops empty or not?  I always expect that such
stories may be overblown, but where there's smoke, there's fire.
Chat:     
(14:39) The US of North America would do well to have a tiny passage of the Austrian Weapons Act translated and enacted throughout the country.  #822129
von Proteus-, 2015-10-28, 15:29  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.233...
Erwerb, Besitz und Führen: Der Erwerb, Besitz und das Führen ist nur aufgrund einer behördlichen Bewilligung zulässig.
Acquisition, possession and carrying of weapons: No weapons may be acquired, held and carried unless licensed by a competent authority.
Chat:     
Proteus  #822130
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-28, 15:39  like dislike  Spam?  
No thanks.  We'll not allow our criminal gov't to disarm us so.  This submission to government
authority you propose is exactly what the Founding Fathers feared.  That's why the 2nd Amendment
was placed in the Bill of Rights, second only to freedom of speech, assembly, and religion.
Chat:     
Your 13:27 'news' story regarding Austria must be read with 14:39 in mind. Is the average WND subscriber up to snuff in this respect?  #822135
von Proteus-, 2015-10-28, 16:12  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.233...
As to the Second Amendment, you fail to mention that it has been a hotly disputed issue ever since it was foisted on the US statute books. By no means all the Founding Fathers championed or wholeheartedly endorsed this revamping of the Constitution.

Wikipedia(EN): Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

In a democracy, even a clear-cut majority must not terrorize an opposing minority of citizens! Given an age of stultifying mass demagoguery, unrestrained and unscrupulous majority rule amounts to the most heinous kind of despotism!
Chat:     
The strongest argument for gun control is found in the 2nd amendment itself, which reads:  #822137
von [<>], 2015-10-28, 16:23  like dislike  Spam?  38.121.148....
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-28, 16:38  like dislike  Spam?  
4;[<>]  The militia at that time meant ALL the able-bodied men.  You'll find that in the link below.

4;Proteus.  We are a constitutional republic of sovereign states, not a democracy.  We have some
democratic principles.  The Founders sounded quite pro-gun to me.

http://cap-n-ball.com/fathers.htm
Chat:     
Goodbye American democracy? Hail republican despotism?  #822141
von Proteus- , 2015-10-28, 16:46  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.233...
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22American+democracy%22+%22%22+%22%22

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22republican+despotism%22+%22%22+%22%22

Mind you, Hitler's Third Reich or Stalin's Soviet Union or Mao's China constitutionally were republics!
Chat:     
von [<>], 2015-10-28, 16:54  like dislike  Spam?  38.121.148....
4;Jim46:  Surely you are not conceding that the 2d Amendment fails to confer the right to bear arms upon the infirm and female amongst the populace.  Or are you?
Chat:     
More than one flavor of republics.  #822144
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-28, 17:01  like dislike  Spam?  
We and Switzerland have managed to survive quite a long time, don't you think?

I don't worry much about all the scholarly opinions.  And none of the empires you mention
had an uninfringeable 2nd amendment.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/365103/how-nazis-used-gun-con...
Chat:     
[<>]  #822145
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-28, 17:05  like dislike  Spam?  
No I'm not.  I was thinking of the militia as a citizen army.
Chat:     
Just imagine  #822153
von Y-A-Duck, 2015-10-28, 18:15  like dislike  Spam?  91.10.0....
If only the Algonquin Coast Guard had sank the Mayflower or sent those filthy Pilgrims back to England! Or if King George III. had such an agency like the all-knowing NSA instead of agents listening in taverns! George Washington and the other traitors would have been dangling from trees and today American colonists would be sipping their tea in a civilized manner instead of threatening the world with weapons of mass destruction.
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-28, 20:41  like dislike  Spam?  
It sounds as if you're a little peeved that the Union Jack doesn't fly here too.
You can't win 'em all.
Chat:     
(17:01) Gun control a Nazi measure? So David Cameron is walking in Adolf's footsteps?  #822190
von Proteus-, 2015-10-29, 00:21  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.239....
Great Britain has some of the most stringent gun control laws in the world.
http://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/greatbritain.php
Wikipedia(EN): Gun_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%2Bgun+control+regime+%2BUK

11 myths about the future of gun control, debunked after the Charleston shooting (20 June 2015)
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/20/charleston-south-car...
Chat:     
Live unarmed in Britain?  No thanks.  #822193
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-29, 01:25  like dislike  Spam?  
I don't know the Daily Mail.  According to them, Britain is more violent than the U.S.

In 2009, twelve years after the Firearms Act of 1997 was passed, Daily Mail Online reported that
Britain was “the most violent country in Europe.” They also reported that Britain’s home figures
showed “the UK [had] a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and South Africa.”

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2014/09/24/how-gun-contr...
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2015-10-29, 03:24  like dislike  Spam?  
I shouldn't pay too much heed to The Daily Mail ;-))
Chat:     
von Derbybornandbred, 2015-10-29, 04:32  like dislike  Spam?  208.131.186....
As an Englishman, born and bred, wanting and often needing accurate translations from English to German and visa versa, I often find myself frustrated, misguided, misled, and in some cases downright offended by some of the debates and discussions held within this forum.

I have followed this forum for some time now, having, as previously stated, need for accuracy. Why misled, misguided and offended? Because far too often I have seen NON native ENGLISH speakers, basically telling bonafide natives that THEY are wrong. How dare they? I would not presume to correct a native of a country of which I did not have a FULL understanding for that language. Furthermore,  the title and therefore, obviously the remit for this forum is that of an English/German dictionary. If that is the case, why are so many entries inserted with reference to American English? When will it be realised that American english is NOT "English" it is bastardised english. One might as well call Bangldeshi English, English. it is NOT and neither is American English. There would be far less self righteous argument and far more accuracy and clarity on this forum if contibutors were to stick to the remit/title of this forum. It would also be far easier for all concerned with accuracy and validity, such as my humble non German speaking self, when researching accurate translations. Please, please and please again, STOP muddying the waters and for some of you in particular, please get off your not so knowledgable high horses and deal with accurracy. There is only one Eng.lish, the Queen's English and that spoken by natives of the United Kingdom. Thank you.

PS why is it that none of you stalwarts of American English have not created a forum concerned with American English/German translations? Be less confusing, less confrontational, less argumentative and deliver more accuracy!!!!
P.P.S I am not subversive, radical or small minded, I am simply an ENGLISHMAN.
Chat:     
Why?  #822204
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-29, 04:42  like dislike  Spam?  
Because we so love hearing from people like you.
Chat:     
von Derbybornandbred, 2015-10-29, 04:53  like dislike  Spam?  208.131.186....
You are surely American an NOT English, not that i hold anything against Americans, or anyone else for that matter. My "rant" is against the harmful way some people seem to have hijacked this forum and its remit. Not that ny americans woul know about hijacking anything
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-29, 05:04  like dislike  Spam?  
Never hijacked anything in my life.  The "chat" category gives friends a chance to talk about other
things besides EN and DE.  This thread grew unusually long, and I still don't have an answer to the
original question.  You should become a contributing member, which would allow you to input your
English opinion on the translations.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2015-10-29, 05:17  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von derbybornandbred, 2015-10-29, 05:19  like dislike  Spam?  208.131.186....
Thank you for your suggestion. I would be happy to contribute but for the fact that I have seen so much twaddle by some so called English/German translators and the irrelevant and bitchy arguments carried out, not to mention non-English natives promoting themselves as knowing better than native English speakers. Too much hassle and irrelevance. LIke many others, I simply want accurracy not ego driven drivel.
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-10-29, 05:26  like dislike  Spam?  
It's late.  G'night everyone.
Chat:     
You ought to read up on the history of the English language, derbybornandbred. Jefferson, Washington, Adams were English. Ever heard of New England?  #822230
von Proteus-, 2015-10-29, 12:04  like dislike  Spam?  193.83.228...
Chat:     
derbybornandbred  #822313
von Catesse (AU), 2015-10-30, 04:23  like dislike  Spam?  
LIke many others, I simply want accuracy, not ego-driven drivel.
Chat:     
von derbybornandbred, 2015-10-31, 02:33  like dislike  Spam?  208.163.57....
Thank youfor your history references Proteus. I take it that you must be a true Englishman. If this is the case and you are wishing to get down to basics, one, as an Englishman would call those great "American" leaders, traitors, as by the definitions you yourself have given them, they were English but they chose to fight against their own peoples. GIving them as examples would be the act of an American, not an Englishmen. Not only that, they encouraged semi-illliteracy by not educating or setting up educational establishments that maintained true English, but once again I thank you for reminding me of American history and a number of traiterous Englishmen. Furthermore I would like to re-iterate that I do not wish or seek to confrontation, simply accuracy, though I will point out that I will not take history lessons about my own country from someone who is neither pro English or bonefide English. My schooling has been entirely within the English educational system and if a "foreigner" decides to promote false information purporting to be fully knowledgable about a language to which some of the contributors to this forum claim, then as any countrman with a historical language, not a compiled and designed language would do, I correct or voice my defence of the language of my birth.
Chat:     
derby etc.  #822410
von Catesse (AU), 2015-10-31, 02:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Do you have a Spellcheck on your computer? Mine tells me that there are only two "l"s in "illiteracy", and that it is "traitorous", not "traiterous". If you are seeking to promote accuracy, I suggest that you start with your own entries.
But then, what would a benighted colonial like myself know? (Albeit one with a PhD.)
Chat:     
Hmmmm....  #822412
von Jim46 (US), Last modified: 2015-10-31, 03:37  like dislike  Spam?  
The English educational system, it appears, is not infallible.  (only two "l"s)

Edit: countryman is misspelled also.
Chat:     
von derbybornandbred, 2015-10-31, 04:33  like dislike  Spam?  208.163.57....
Thank you for your corrections. You are absolutely correct in that the English educational system is not infallible and neither am I. I am also not a contributor. I also know the difference between English and bastardised English, even if I at times mistype or spell incorrectly. I also know that I would expect that an English/German forum contributor to be accurate in their entries. I do not have to be. I am here to learn German from German nationals or those who at least grew up or were educated there. I intend to hopefully live in Germany. I can already speak, and more importantly, know the subtleties of the language from being a native and educated from primary school through to career and finally semi retirement, in England. I also realise and understand there are many dialects in Germany. I will never know them all and not a single one to anything more than basic conversational standard. However, I will never for example live in Austria or Switzerland. It therefore follows that Swiss German or Austrian German is and would be of no use to me, in particular if I have need of localised German. I am certain that there would be occasion when I would be incorrect. I obviously do not know what is correct or incorrect, therefore I rely on accuracy from contributors. I have seen non English natives ardently arguing with natives about their own language, even though the non native is clearly wrong. If I see that kind of misleading information being offered and argued by contributors in my own language how on earth can I rely on the accuracy being offered in a language I want or need accurate and precise guidance in. That is akin to being in a plumbers' forum or instructional site and being giving guidance by the odd sheep shearer who happened to have changed their taps once and think they are also plumbers. Apologies for any spelling mistakes I may have made. I will go to an English forum for further education. In the meantime, for accurate translation to and from German I came to this site. No disrespect intended or delivered. I shall make sure that I shall return your good intention by paying much more attention to your contributions and similarly pointing out, purely out of gratitude, any inaccuracies that you contribute in the future.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten