Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Re-opened entry »
« Change Funds    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Ice  
von Jim46 (US), 2015-12-28, 22:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Severe ice storm here today.  High wind.  Trees breaking.  Wires down.  We're without power,
using emergency back-up.  By the looks of Com-Edison's outage map online, it will probably
be a long time before all service is restored.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2015-12-28, 22:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Not good. I hope you'll stay warm.

We had a big ice storm here in Virginia on 25 December 1998. I could hear trees snapping all night long, Got power back 11 days later. We didn't have a generator then, so the well pump was useless. Went and got water for the horses from a neighbor 5 miles down the road.
Chat:     
Please, not 11 days!  #829007
von Jim46 (US), 2015-12-28, 22:44  like dislike  Spam?  
We have battery-bank of eight golf car batteries in series-parallel to supply 24 volts to an inverter.
that makes 120 volts AC.  Also have a small wind-generator going to charge batteries.  When
we need more power, have a 9-hp Honda engine (propane) that drives a 140-amp, 24-volt, regulated
Caterpillar alternator.  That's the first back-up system.  If it fails,  then start the generator.
Chat:     
von Squirrel-quattro (UN), 2015-12-28, 23:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Why don't you mix your weather with the one in #828910 / #828923 ? ;) Only joking (I know, it's actually no joking matter, sorry).
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-12-28, 23:26  like dislike  Spam?  
I told Catesse we need an air exchanger pipe between here and there.  Would need a huge fan too.
Or maybe Trump and Hillary could just talk into it and move a sufficient volume of air.  :-)
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-12-28, 23:52  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Jim--I've also got a Honda engine running on propane to drive my generator. Been running great since 1999. Oil drain plug is at the end of a little rubber hose. Great idea with Hillary and Trump, enough hot air there to melt the ice off the trees! Hang in there.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-12-29, 00:52  like dislike  Spam?  
underground cables for the power supply might be an idea for a future president...
Chat:     
uffie  #829025
von Jim46 (US), 2015-12-29, 00:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Our service is buried from the road.  Reduces lightning damage.  But burying wires in rural
areas here is cost-prohibitive.  Miles and miles and more miles.
Chat:     
Weather  #829032
von Catesse (AU), 2015-12-29, 02:47  like dislike  Spam?  
Allegedly it is 20 deg in New York. Niece in Georgia says it is - if I remember correctly - 17 degrees. Just been chatting to romy; some four days in Adelaide over 40 deg, and one day in Port Augusta 47. (Centigrade, not Fahrenheit). She is OK in air-conditioning.
4; Jim: you seem to be well prepared. Got enough food for a week or so?
Chat:     
We won't go hungry for a couple months or more.  #829033
von Jim46 (US), 2015-12-29, 02:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Just added 1/2 cow to cellar freezer this month.  Cellar shelves full of canned goods.
The back-up power systems I built myself.  Retirement has its advantages.
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-12-29, 03:13  like dislike  Spam?  
Just got a phone call from a county office.  Warming shelters have been opened for those who
don't have heat because of no power.  I wonder if they will serve coffee and sandwiches too?
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-12-29, 04:23  like dislike  Spam?  
4; Jim. Lack of investments in infrastructure perhaps? It's big country for sure but I'd have thought it would make sense at least in areas with regular storms/gales/hurricanes...

Incidentally, over here we had to organise and pay ourselves for posts, wires and meter from the main road up to our house. Pricey.
Chat:     
The same with natural gas  #829039
von Jim46 (US), Last modified: 2015-12-29, 04:40  like dislike  Spam?  
The towns have natural gas service, but I have to use propane.  The gas company would never
recoup its investment to run gas supply lines to few and widely scattered farm customers.
I have only two neighbors in a two-km circle.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-12-29, 05:13  like dislike  Spam?  
same here. In Germany, people have electric cookers in rural areas.
Chat:     
von Jim46 (US), 2015-12-29, 05:20  like dislike  Spam?  
And when the power is off, you don't cook, except for a charcoal grill perhaps.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2015-12-29, 05:26  like dislike  Spam?  
yep, but it's very very rare.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2015-12-29, 12:51  like dislike  Spam?  
After the 1998 ice storm, we changed to a gas stove for the kitchen. Now the propane that runs the generator also cooks our food. With long outages, I've got to watch my propane supply because the generator engine uses quite a bit of it.
Chat:     
Mike  #829090
von Jim46 (US), 2015-12-29, 15:23  like dislike  Spam?  
If you have a 30-hp twin-cylinder engine, that gen. must have an awesome output wattage.  You could
supply a neighbor too!.
My little engine just runs at fast idle to charge the batteries via the alternator.  Fuel-sipping and low noise.  
It ran all night.  Shut down to check oil this morning, no need to add any.
The power company says another day before service is restored here.  That could change.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-12-29, 16:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Exactly, twin V 30 hp Honda. From what you say, clearly overkill for us. On the other hand, the engine bogs down noticeably for a second or two when the deep-well pump kicks in. And with filling the animal water tanks and -tubs, that's happening a lot. My wife also insisted on heaters in the big tanks outside. I don't know how much those draw. She says "hardly anything," but I'm not so sure.  :-)
Chat:     
She's wrong.  #829119
von Jim46 (US), Last modified: 2015-12-29, 17:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Making heat with electricity is expensive.  The tank heater wattage info will tell.  Cousin has horses
and water tank heaters.  He's always moaning over the size of his winter electric bill.
Overkill is better than a gen. that is insufficient.  The big unit can "loaf along" most of the time,
under little strain.  It'll last longer.  Deep well pumps are notoriously hard to start because of the
small diameter, usually four inches.  They're a short circuit for a second until they begin to rotate.  
You can calculate how big a gen. must be by the locked rotor amps specification that is given
for the pump.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2015-12-30, 00:41  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, Jim. I'll put your "she's wrong" into gentler words when talking to her about that.

Good info on the pump--still got the manual after all these years and will look up the spec you mentioned. Had to put a new one in shortly after we bought the property. The well digger said the old one was hit by lightning, so insurance paid for the new one. Not sure if this was really true or if the guy was just trying to help me out.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten