Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   FI   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Kann man statt "besteht" "gibt es" in diesem Sa... »
« working for it    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Kommisskopf  
von WBln, 2016-01-30, 15:28  like dislike  Spam?  91.66.140....
Gute Übersetzung in einem Wort für "Kommisskopf" gesucht
Antwort: 
More information?  #832449
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2016-01-30, 15:34  like dislike  Spam?  
Which characteristics do you want to stress?
Does it have to be a military term?
Can you give us more context or a sentence?

http://www.cosmiq.de/qa/show/3425869/Was-versteht-man-unter-einem-K...
http://www.wer-weiss-was.de/t/was-bitte-ist-ein-kommisskopf/2643886
Antwort: 
Kommisskopf  #832450
von Ivy (DE), 2016-01-30, 15:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
characteristics  #832451
von WBln, 2016-01-30, 15:49  like dislike  Spam?  91.66.140....
"Which characteristics do you want to stress?
Does it have to be a military term?"

In German the word "Kommisskopf" IS a characterization of a person.

It is NOT a military term but a sarcastic criticism of military thinking.

"Kommisskopf" means a person (usually with military background) who is only able to think in military categories, unable to see all non-military aspects of life and to take account of these aspects in his words and deeds.
Direct translation would be "army-head", but I don't think that native English speakers would understand that correctly ...
Antwort: 
idiomatic or slang word   #832458
von WBln, 2016-01-30, 16:44  like dislike  Spam?  91.66.140....
isn't there an English idiomatic or slang word expressing the same as the German word "Kommisskopf"?
Antwort: 
Not really.  #832468
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2016-01-30, 18:55  like dislike  Spam?  
That's why I asked for more information. If we know which particular parts of Kommisskopf are important in your case, then someone might be able to suggest something.
Antwort: 
if you mean a narrow-minded, low ranking official: Jack-in-office  #832470
von anon., 2016-01-30, 19:14  like dislike  Spam?  95.118.80....
Antwort: 
not only low ranking  #832482
von WBln, 2016-01-30, 22:24  like dislike  Spam?  91.66.140....
I described in my "characteristics" posting all particular parts of "Kommisskopf".
It would also imply a lack of sophisticated humanity, a lack of interpersonal skills and a lack of a sense of culture.

It has nothing to do with the rank. There are also generals who are "Kommissköpfe".

It applies generally to the military way to see the world, independent from the rank.
A Kommisskopf shows a very special military narrowmindedness.

Do you think that native English speakers would understand "army-head"?
Antwort: 
jarhead  #832483
von WBln, 2016-01-30, 22:32  like dislike  Spam?  91.66.140....
I know the the word "Jarhead", but I think it is not derogatory like the word "Kommisskopf" which implies character flaws.
Antwort: 
I think army-head would make people think of someone in charge in the army,  #832485
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2016-01-30, 23:56  like dislike  Spam?  
or possibly someone obsessed with the army, so I wouldn't recommend it here.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/military-minded is a more positive phrase for it.
I can't decide if I can't think of anything because that type of person doesn't exist in Britain or all people in the army are like that, so there isn't a special word for it ;-)

The only way I can think of saying it is something along the lines of he's very 'army'/'military' with a particular stress on army or military.
Chat:     
?  #832492
von Catesse (AU), 2016-01-31, 08:00  like dislike  Spam?  
The phrase "hard-ass army type" exists, but it is more vulgar and not quite identical.
"Hard-head" will not do.
Antwort: 
a bullheaded army type?  a type like sarge Bullhead?  #832495
von anon., 2016-01-31, 10:34  like dislike  Spam?  93.130.218....
Antwort: 
von wagwaan (uffie), 2016-01-31, 13:33  like dislike  Spam?  208.163.57....
sb. is regimental
Antwort: 
maybe an exactly corresponding English word does not exist?  #832512
von WBln, 2016-01-31, 13:43  like dislike  Spam?  91.66.140....
hmm ... I think meanwhile that there is no English word with exactly the same meaning as "Kommisskopf", maybe because the English speaking countries don't have such a sceptical and critical relation to the military as the modern Germans.

A Kommisskopf can be a military person of all ranks who follows no other ethics than the principle of order and obedience and who follows strictly all military regulations without caring about the consequences, no matter how devastating these consequences are. But at the same time for instance a Kommisskopf general can have a perfect conventional demeanor on the surface.( "Bullhead" or "Hard-head" does not really fit there.)

Only in problematic and/or conflicting situations his lack of humane ethics, social skills, flexibility, sense of social responsibility and all sophisticated character traits becomes apparent.
Chat:     
von wagwaan (uffie), 2016-01-31, 15:07  like dislike  Spam?  208.163.57....
agree with WBln
Antwort: 
new German loan word?  #832530
von WBln, 2016-01-31, 18:02  like dislike  Spam?  91.66.140....
maybe "Kommisskopf" would be a good new German loan word in English like Kindergarten, Blitzkrieg und Zeitgeist, because I am sure that this character type exists in the English and American military, too  ... :)
Antwort: 
jack-in-office is not far off the mark in some contexts; in others, Colonel Blimp may come in handy  #832545
von Proteus-, 2016-02-01, 01:43  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.54....
http://www.redensarten-index.de/suche.php?suchbegriff=~~ein%20Kommi...

Wikipedia(EN): Colonel_Blimp

In different languages, idioms tend to overlap to some extent and to diverge in other respects. Full correspondence is rare, occasionally nothing suitable is found in the other tongue.
Antwort: 
no political orientation implied  #832547
von WBln, 2016-02-01, 02:24  like dislike  Spam?  91.66.140....
The meaning of Colonel Blimp is surely overlapping with Kommiskopf, but there are big differences, too:
"Kommisskopf" does not imply any political orientation, whereas "Colonel Blimp" implies a conservative or even reactionary political attitude and an upper class social background.
In the German Beispiele you find Fidel's brother Raul Castro as example for a "Kommisskopf".
http://www.redensarten-index.de/suche.php?suchbegriff=~~ein%20Kommi...
So a communist can be a Kommisskopf, but surely not a Colonel Blimp.
Chat:     
Blimp  #832551
von Catesse (AU), 2016-02-01, 05:16  like dislike  Spam?  
I considered and rejected "Colonel Blimp", because Blimp is quintessentially corpulent to the point of immobility. Never actually does anything, whereas a Kommisskopf can be quite active. Bear in mind that the term "blimp" is also a name for a moored balloon that was intended to deter low-flying aircraft. An inert windbag. I do not know which meaning came first.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten