Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 to scratch oneself »
« to pop a squat    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
"waste gas"  
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-05-06, 20:54  like dislike  Spam?  
I think "waste gas" is denglish. In my mind all these entries should have "exhaust gas" or just "exhaust" in place of "waste gas".

dict.cc: waste gas

Can some Brits please confirm that this is a thing (or not)?
Chat:     
IMO  #842539
von Jim46 (US), Last modified: 2016-05-06, 21:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Exhaust (gas) comes from an internal combustion engine.
Waste gas is produced by a number of industrial processes.

An example:  http://www.jsonline.com/business/generating-power-from-waste-gas-b9...
Chat:     
Waste gas.  #842550
von Sunblind-Duck (GB), 2016-05-07, 02:27  like dislike  Spam?  
The description is also usually applied to the gases which are burnt off on oil rigs. Vehicle emissions are always called exhaust fumes, here in the UK.
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2016-05-07, 09:28  like dislike  Spam?  
agree with Sunblind-Duck
waste gas  Am.  ??
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-05-07, 11:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Waste gas is not an Am. term either. It might be used in a fachsprachige context, but we call it exhaust.

Br.:   exhaust fumes (OR just exhaust?)
Am.: exhaust OR emissions (a bit more official, always {pl})

I think my suspicion has been confirmed - that "waste gas" is basically a non-idiomatic translation (i.e. in most contexts) of Abgas.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2016-05-07, 11:44  like dislike  Spam?  
In a number of contexts (for example, waste removal and processing), waste gas' is the technically correct term both in AE and BE. 'Exhaust' ties the gases to an engine exhaust, as noted by Jim46. That's only one context out of many other possible.
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-05-07, 11:47  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, but all/most of these entries were created in the wake of the VW emissions scandal. The intent was "exhaust" but it was poorly/directly translated as "waste gas".
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2016-05-07, 12:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Well yes, 'waste gas scandal' for Abgasskandal would be comical. But eliminating 'waste gas' almost across the board seems like throwing out the baby with the bath water.
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-05-07, 12:12  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2016-05-07, 13:48  like dislike  Spam?  
I remember working on the so-called waste gate of a U.S. turbocharged engine many, many years ago. Googling around a bit, U.S. technical literature on engine design uses "waste gas" quite a bit in the context of turbocharging. It's precise language because that gas is not going into the exhaust system. It is routed into the turbocharger. (To regulate boost pressure, the waste gate diverts some of the gas into the exhaust system, where it does become 'exhaust gas.')
Google: "waste gas" turbocharger
Google: "waste gate" turbocharger
Chat:     
von callixte (US), 2016-05-07, 17:00  like dislike  Spam?  
Michael:   “Waste gas” is ok, as you say.   But what about the “automotive” tags on the compound words on the list.   Are they at all justifiable?  Just because “waste gas” is sometimes recirculated into a turbocharger?  In the context of automotive engineering “waste gas” just doesn’t fit (and comes across as denglish, as kkava said).  IMO the tags should be removed.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-05-07, 17:14  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.127....
a "tech" tag might be more appropriate
Chat:     
von callixte (US), 2016-05-07, 17:21  like dislike  Spam?  
4;uffiee:  Good solution.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-05-07, 17:21  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.127....
best would be an explanation for non-natives...
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-05-07, 17:35  like dislike  Spam?  
4;uffie I agree, requires disambiguation tags.
We also need to duplicate or replace the entries substituting "exhaust" or "emissions" as applicable.
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2016-05-07, 18:01  like dislike  Spam?  
Agree, "tech" fits better.
4;callixte: You bring up a good point. The tag "automotive" fits "waste gas" in such a specialized context that it probably should not be used if "general automotive technology" is meant by that tag. I wanted to point out that while "waste gas" can sound Denglish, it is not always Denglish.
Antwort: 
von uffiee, 2016-05-07, 19:41  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.127....
no natives involved in the voting, just German busybodies ;-)

I believe the "automotive" tag should be removed from waste gas purification and waste gas analysis, and from waste gas recirculation, the latter also needs to lose the hyphen.

But this really isn't my area of expertise, so if I'm wrong please correct me.
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-05-07, 19:52  like dislike  Spam?  
I think the tags are OK as they are, but the entries need to be updated to reflect idiomatic English. I have entered a comment on each one that indicates how I think they should be as a mechanical engineer from the US.

If we want to add one or two entries for non-exhaust recirculation and flaring then we should do that separately to this set of corrections IMO.
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-05-07, 19:54  like dislike  Spam?  
4;paul I also think that it would be good if we had a native speakers requirement for verification. That is, both DE and EN native reviewers need to agree. I realize that it is hard enough to get people to review entries fast enough, but this is a good example of the need for such a peer review requirement. It could be a soft requirement, but would be good to have something in place.
Chat:     
von callixte (US), 2016-05-08, 02:45  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Michael:  Yep; I understood your point from the start.  The word pairs are not wrong and not denglish.   But it is hard not to feel  for both kkava and the integrity of dict.cc at the same time.  The verification process has allowed a far less frequent and somewhat unusual phrase to be entered (waste gas),  when two common terms "exhaust" and "emissions" fall by the wayside.  How noxious!
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-05-08, 04:23  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.127....
4; callixte. The trouble is that dict has few possibilities to alert users to this specific use. A shame really, but with an entry like the existing one, less knowledgeable people run the risk of using it in the wrong context. This is a major problem with any online dictionary as they offer only one-line entries...
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2016-05-08, 10:54  like dislike  Spam?  
4;kkava: Sorry, but I don't think this would solve more problems that it would create.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-05-08, 13:28  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.127....
kkava, the people who do the legwork are the German contributors. Whether their entries are bona fide is more than debatable. But it is deemed more important to have lots of entries rather than having every entry checked. That's the policy.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2016-05-08, 23:10  like dislike  Spam?  
uffiee, that's not true. The review system ensures that every entry is being checked by several people. Requiring a native speaker for each part of the translation does not guarantee correctness. It would only guarantee a clogged-up review system.
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-05-08, 23:18  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Paul - I have an idea - bias the review system to steer EN reviewers towards entries which have only had DE voters so far, and vice-versa.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2016-05-08, 23:22  like dislike  Spam?  
That sounds like a good idea! I'll think about it!
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-05-09, 11:33  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.127....
4; Paul. Es gibt ganz viele Einträge, die nie ein englischer Muttersprachler gesehen hat. Heutzutage ist es nicht mehr so schlimm wie früher, aber es gibt noch jede Menge.

Schau dir einfach mal die Einträge und Stimmen derjenigen an, die jeden Tag regelmäßig ihre zehn, zwanzig Stimmen abgeben bzw. Einträge machen. Ab und zu ist noch geo dabei, aber, wenn überhaupt, ist er oft der einzige.

Ich weiß, du bist auf die freiwillige Zusammenarbeit angewiesen und kkavas Vorschlag könnte dazu beitragen, ein Gleichgewicht herzustellen und mehr englische Muttersprachler dazu zu gewinnen.

Das beseitigt nicht das Problem, dass Mitarbeiter mit unzureichenden Kenntnissen beider Sprachen die Höchstimme haben, aber es wäre mal ein Anfang.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2016-05-09, 12:18  like dislike  Spam?  
uffiee, natürlich würde ich mir mehr englische Muttersprachler wünschen. Niemand bestreitet, dass das System dann besser funktionieren würde. Nur leider kann ich keine englischen Muttersprachler herbeizaubern.

Es ist nun einmal so, dass die englische Sprache im deutschsprachigen Raum stärker gefragt ist als die deutsche Sprache im englischsprachigen Raum. Daraus ergibt sich, dass es wesentlich mehr deutschsprachige Wörterbuchnutzer gibt. Und daraus wiederum ergibt sich, dass auch im Wortschatzpflegesystem mehr deutsche Muttersprachler mitarbeiten. Ich kann nur mit den Ressourcen arbeiten, die ich habe. Je mehr Blockaden ich ins System einbaue, umso stockender werden die Prozesse. Und das ist weder für deutsche, noch für englische Muttersprachler gut.

Trotzdem halte ich es nicht für gerechtfertigt, das System ständig schlechtzureden. Wären die Ergebnisse, also der Wortschatz, tatsächlich so schlecht, wie Du in Deinen Aussagen den Eindruck erweckst, dann würden die Nutzer auf andere Angebote ausweichen und dict.cc würde mangels Nutzung in der Bedeutungslosigkeit verschwinden. Dass dem nicht so ist, das zeigen die täglichen Zugriffszahlen. An jedem Werktag wird dict.cc von ca. einer Million Personen genutzt, bei 7 bis 8,5 Millionen Seitenaufrufen.
Antwort: 
von uffiee, 2016-05-09, 13:15  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.127....
Paul, mir ist schon klar, dass du keine Ressourcen herbeizaubern kannst.

Schlechtreden würde ich jetzt nicht unbedingt sagen. Wenn's mir schnurz wäre, würde ich nicht mehr kommentieren.

Es ist schön, dass du so hohe Zugriffszahlen hast und das soll auch so bleiben. Das bedarf aber eines gewissen Grads an Qualitätssicherung. Meine Kommentare sollen in erster Linie Schwachstellen aufzeigen und Vorschläge bringen, wie man diese evtl. beheben kann. Pädagogisch gesehen ist mein Ansatz eher fragwürdig, weil jeder lieber gelobt als kritisiert werden möchte. Aber ich hoffe, dass meine Kritik konstruktiv und vielleicht sogar hilfreich ist.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2016-05-09, 13:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Deine Kritik im Forum finde ich ehrlich gesagt nicht immer konstruktiv, weil sie in der vorgetragenen Form für schlechte Stimmung unter den Beitragenden sorgen kann und damit Beitragende demotiviert. Kritik und Verbesserungsvorschläge in welcher Form auch immer direkt an mich gerichtet - etwa per Mail - jederzeit gerne. Das gehört zu meinem Job, die Beitragenden können nichts dafür, wenn etwas nicht optimal läuft.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-05-09, 14:12  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.127....
ok, verstanden, dann werde ich das in Zukunft unterlassen.

Von einer Mail direkt an Dich verspreche ich mir nicht viel. Du hattest seinerzeit meinen, zugegeben vielleicht etwas zu genauen, Standpunkt nicht verstanden und toleriert, dass ich geschasst wurde. Vielleicht wirst du irgendwann einmal gezwungenermaßen deinen Standpunkt ändern. Ich sehe das ganze mittel-, nicht kurzfristig.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2016-05-09, 14:33  like dislike  Spam?  
Du wurdest nicht geschasst, Du hast Dich selbst zurückgezogen.

Du hattest immer wieder Konflikte mit einer bestimmten anderen Person und bei dem ständigen Hickhack war es mir nicht möglich, einer der beiden Konfliktparteien eindeutig Recht zu geben. Keine der Parteien war bereit, auf Provokationen und untergriffige Formulierungen zu verzichten. Jeder der Parteien wäre es möglich gewesen, persönliche Angriffe zu ignorieren, bis es die jeweils andere Partei aufgegeben hätte. Jeder war davon überzeugt, dass der jeweils andere der Angreifer war. Was soll ich da machen? Bei objektiven Fragen wie etwa bei Auffassungsunterschieden bei Übersetzungseinträgen kann ich, wenn unbedingt nötig und eingefordert, versuchen, eine möglichst objektive Entscheidung zu treffen. Ich kann aber nicht beurteilen, wer einen Streit angefangen hat und wer zuerst ein böses Wort gesagt hat, vor allem dann nicht, wenn der Streit immer nur die zwei gleichen Personen betrifft.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-05-09, 18:55  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.127....
it's now water under the bridge anyway

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten