Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   FI   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Geht beides? »
« Kurzantwort will future    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Sir William Golding on women.  
von Jim46 (US), 2016-07-17, 18:42  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
What a trouvaille!   http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/trouvaille  #849164
von Proteus-, 2016-07-17, 18:47  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.208....
Chat:     
von themadhatter (GB), 2016-07-17, 19:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Wow!  How to lose friends and ...
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-07-17, 21:06  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.113...
:-) sounds about right...
Chat:     
von geo255 (US), 2016-07-17, 23:49  like dislike  Spam?  
It's about time that someone finally got it right about women.  Not being dominated by testosterone has many advantages, as Golding mentions.  A big one that he didn't mention, however, is that women are much less inclined to start wars than men.

And, in politics, women tend to be able to cooperate whereas men tend to want to fight it out.  Most of the few compromisers in the bitterly divided U.S. Senate were women.
Chat:     
Right, geo-. But is it an advantage or a disadvantage?  #849208
von parker11 (DE), 2016-07-18, 17:41  like dislike  Spam?  
How much would you like politicians to cooperate and compromise with f***ers like Erdogan? Merkel clearly does. However, that's not a male or female thing, I guess.
Chat:     
Advantage, I think  #849214
von Jim46 (US), 2016-07-18, 18:14  like dislike  Spam?  
A mix of females in politics provides a broader set of ideas and goals.  Merkel and King O., for example,
lie outside this concept.  Both of them are working for a higher boss, IMO.
Chat:     
Parker11  #849218
von geo255 (US), 2016-07-18, 18:47  like dislike  Spam?  
You raise a difficult point which I think can only be addressed on a case-by-case basis.  We know, unfortunately, what compromising with Hitler lead to.  On the other hand, compromising with some other "nasty"  like Erdogan might allow him to pull in his horns.  It's hard to tell, of course, but if compromise can prevent an all-out war it is worth thinking about--even if it leaves the "nasty" in place.
Chat:     
A much bigger problem right now is China.  Getting scary.  #849219
von Jim46 (US), 2016-07-18, 19:17  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Jim46  #849221
von geo255 (US), 2016-07-18, 19:24  like dislike  Spam?  
A particular problem for our navy is that the aircraft carrier, which came into dominance in the Pacific Theater of WWII is increasingly vulnerable to the latest developments in arsenal, like surface-to-ship missiles (which the British Navy discovered during the Falkland War), drones, and the Chinese expansion of their submarine fleet.

Aircraft carriers are a prime tool for projecting out military power over the oceans.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-07-18, 20:05  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.113...
an even bigger potential problem could be that China is buying up the world, it seems. I heard yesterday that they've bought large swathes in Auckland and other parts of New Zealand. This is on top of major investment in Africa, the Caribbean and Europe....
Chat:     
uffiee  #849225
von geo255 (US), 2016-07-18, 20:19  like dislike  Spam?  
While buying up some other country's assets can sound frightening it has a positive aspect too, viz., a reduced chance of doing anything to harm those assets (like starting trade wars or "real" wars).

China and the U.S. know they have to get along together because their economies require this.  To understand politics, follow the money.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-07-18, 23:08  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.113...
4; geo. You have a point. My contention with the Chinese is that they really couldn't care less about the environment. In Jamaica, the previous government made deals with them. Desparately needed for the infrastructure, disastrous for the environment - and tourism. Confucianism is not as kind as buddhims...
Chat:     
uffiee  #849251
von geo255 (US), 2016-07-18, 23:20  like dislike  Spam?  
Hmm, I only wish that the current Chinese leadership is Confucian.  Traditional Chinese culture, or at least the teaching of it, was almost destroyed during the Cultural Revolution.  The Chinese are only now slowly rediscovering their roots in Confucianism and Taoism.  

Many countries, including the U.S., are not that concerned with the environment.  Unfortunately most large industries are either major energy consumers or major energy producers and both of these groups tend to support current energy technologies, i.e., fossil fuels.  These groups also generally hold the political power in their respective countries.
Chat:     
Women, etc.  #849274
von jim (GB), 2016-07-19, 10:20  like dislike  Spam?  
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

(or the version applicable to the work of chiropodists/podiatrists: "Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns.")
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-07-19, 13:09  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.113...
4; geo. It's easy not to be worried about the environment a) if you main income isn't tourism and b) it's our children and grandchildren who'll reap what we sow. But long-term planning isn't exactly a strength of Western governments and societies...
Chat:     
uffiee  #849293
von jim (GB), 2016-07-19, 13:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Over seven decades I have watched a long pendulum that swings in human affairs. At present it is swinging to the political right, encouraging selfishness and lack of compassion, and not so much unconcerned with the environment as harbouring a grudge against it. They can get nothing wrong at present, caring dissenters can get nothing right. But the pendulum will sooner or later swing the other way.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-07-19, 14:20  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.113...
let's hope so Jim, let's hope so.
Chat:     
uffiee  #849303
von geo255 (US), 2016-07-19, 14:36  like dislike  Spam?  
Actually, I believe that lack of foresight and advance planning is a hallmark of the human species.  So is genocide.

There are about 2,000 mammalian species.  Of these only two are known to commit genocide.  You know one of them, the other is male chimpanzees.  They will send out scout parties and if they find a chimp from another group, regardless of where he is, they will attack and kill him.  This is radically different behavior than other animals who, of course, will kill others but only for food or to defend their territory.  I think it's fair to call this genocide, albeit only by ones and twos.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-07-19, 16:07  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.113...
quite possibly. But ancient empires and dynasties ruled for hundreds or thousands of years. These days, governments are happy if they're re-elected for another term.

Are modern societies any more sophisticated and advanced than in ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia or Greece? Has homo sapiens progressed?
Chat:     
Human social progress?  #849328
von geo255 (US), 2016-07-19, 17:38  like dislike  Spam?  
If you read Plato's Dialogues, you will meet exactly the same human types that we have today: the "might makes right", the "whatever I believe is true", the "everyone outside my clan/city/country is a barbarian", etc.

We're talking 4th century BCE or about 2500 years ago.  Back then, spears, swords, and shields were state of the art weaponry.  Now it is laser-guided munitions, drones, stealth attack bombers and, of course, the "N" option.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-07-20, 09:55  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.113...
plus ca change..

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten