|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 ich wärme dich »
«    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Overdependence on Subject Tags  
von geo255 (US), 2016-10-12, 22:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Re: http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1336514

My addition of the 'fig' to 'diamond dust' / 'Diamontschnee' was overruled because the subject tag "meteo" was set.  Unfortunately, any VP5 can alter or remove these tags without any warning or vote.  Without that tag, these terms would likely be taken literally.

In my opinion, the subject tag should not be a good reason to remove a disambiguation which would otherwise be required to prevent a misunderstanding, as in the present case.

The observation about removing or altering subject tags has been made frequently enough before.  Nothing seems to have been done to address this issue.  One suggestion I have is to require a vote if any subject tag is removed or replaced by another one.  Adding a subject tag would not require notification or voting.
Antwort: 
Subject tags  #856006
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2016-10-13, 03:21  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree in principle with geo. I have often commented, on individual entries, about the danger of removing a disambiguation or comment from a highly ambiguous entry. I think that users often overlook the subject tag and, even if they do not, the subject tags can be removed too easily.
Requiring that the addition, removal or alteration of subject tags on already verified entries needs to go through the full verifications procedure would entail a fair bit of extra work. It would be very detrimental on the minor sites.
I do not see an easy way to resolve this dilemma.
In connection with the "diamond dust" entry: although this term confused me at first, I think that it is technical rather than figurative, but I am not a meteorologist.
Chat:     
Catesse  #856008
von geo255 (US), Last modified: 2016-10-13, 03:26  like dislike  Spam?  
The issue with "diamond dust" is that, apart from the meteorological context, it literally means dust from diamonds.  The only way the user knows which context is meant, or even that there is a meteorological one, is with the subject tag.  And this is precisely the problem.
Antwort: 
geo  #856010
von Catesse (AU), 2016-10-13, 03:32  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree totally about the problem. I am not so sure about the way to resolve it.
Better wait until the Europeans wake up.
Antwort: 
Vorschlag, Teillösung beim Löschen aller Subjects  #856020
von Wenz (DE), 2016-10-13, 08:04  like dislike  Spam?  
Eine Teillösung des Problems sollte zumindest maschinentechnisch möglich sein, wenn  ALLE Subjects weggenommen werden. dict weist das Löschen des Subjects bzw. der Subjects zurück und fragt bei den Beteiligten oder anderen  Contributoren nach (um eine Bestätigung oder Ablehnung zu bekommen).
Das war meine Idee beim "wankelmütig" und auch gestern beim "geospatial" und ich war drauf und dran ein Contribute zu schreiben. Aber dann habe ich gedacht "Reg dich nicht auf"!
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1033304
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1324354
Weitere der letzten Zeit:
author - Schreiber
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=291303
constable - Schutzmann
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=106326
Safran macht den Kuchen gel.
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1017165

Aber trotzdem muß man sagen, daß es schon lange keine großen Probleme mit Löschen der Subjects mehr gibt (was sich aber natürlich schlagartig wieder ändern kann). Es ist letztlich immer der gleiche Contributor.
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-10-13, 10:05  like dislike  Spam?  
I completely agree. Relying on the tags is also bad because in the text export of dict.cc, the tags aren't even there! So, for example, the translation of "or" is "Gold", and without the "Heraldry" tag, this is a totally crappy translation!

dict.cc: gold

I believe this was the entry that prompted me to make an account and get involved actually.
Antwort: 
I agree entirely with geo255  #856040
von tomaquinaten (US/DE), Last modified: 2016-10-13, 10:55  like dislike  Spam?  
As i have repeatedly argued in past discussions, subject tags are very poor instruments for disambiguating terms and thus preference should always be given to an additional bracketed definition, explanation or example, if the meaning is not evident. The same holds for the [fig.]-tag, if the precise meaning of the term requiring disambiguation is not evident.

I also agree that at least removing or changing subject tags on already verified entries should require a verification process.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2016-10-13, 11:17  like dislike  Spam?  
Die subject tags sollten wohl ursprünglich weniger der Disambiguation dienen, als der leichteren, schnelleren Auffindbarkeit und vielleicht auch als eine Art Rückversicherung.

Tatsächlich haben wir aber sehr viele alte Einträge ohne Disamb. und ohne subject und natürlich ist es so, dass es viel schneller geht, eine alte Übersetzung mit einem subject tag - falls es ein passendes gibt - zu 'disambiguieren', als ein reopen zu machen, wo die Einträge zum Teil ja ewig hängen bleiben.

Aber ein subject tag sollte eine ausformulierte Disambiguation bei diffizileren Einträgen selbstverständlich nicht ausschließen.
Chat:     
Re-opens.  #856049
von Catesse (AU), 2016-10-13, 12:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Then there is a certain contributor on a certain site who has the unfortunate habit of re-opening perfectly good verified entries to remove disambiguations on the grounds that the subject tag is sufficient, when it clearly is not.
It is fortunate that murder cannot be committed over the internet.
Not that I would, but I have been tempted.
Antwort: 
Subjects  #856054
von Wenz (DE), 2016-10-13, 13:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Es ist quasi ein Alleinstellungsmerkmal von dict, daß man innerhalb der Subjects suchen kann.
dict.cc: subject:meteo. diamond dust
Im  Leo-Forum habe ich einmal  gelesen, daß ein Leo-Typ das sehr gut findet. Bei Leo geht es nicht und er fand das nicht gut.
Allerdings bin ich überfragt, ob man ein einzelnes Subject oder mehrere aus dict exportieren kann.
Antwort: 
[fig.] is not a very helpful disambiguation if it is not clear what the figuratively used term is referring to.  #856058
von tomaquinaten (US/DE), 2016-10-13, 15:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Without wishing to re-open the now verified entry [ http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1336514 : diamond dust  =  Diamantschnee {m} ], i would like to suggest that an explanation like "diamond dust [type of precipitation] on the EN side would have been a more helpful disambiguation. In figurative usage, a physical phenomenon is usually -- although not exclusively -- invoked to suggest a mental image of something non-physical. In this case, one physical phenomenon is compared to another. Anyone who is not already familiar with the meteorological phenomenon referred to by the EN or the DE term will have to go to look up the terms in WIKI to understand the translation equation; stating that the terms refer to a specific type of precipitation at least provides a context for understanding the equation.
Chat:     
von ddr (AT), 2016-10-13, 18:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Tom, the fig. tag might not be terribly helpful, but I'll bet most German speaking users (including myself) wouldn't know what precipitation means.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-10-13, 18:57  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.102...

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung