Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Geht's eh? Was soll ich darauf antworten? »
« Etwas lässt Rückschlüsse auf etwas hin    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Did I translate correctly?  
von Gene0000, 2016-11-19, 12:45  like dislike  Spam?  188.96.131....
Peter wurde von Jane keinerlei Beachtung geschenkt.
Own attempt:
Peter was given no notice whatsoever by Jane.
Antwort: 
Passive  #858850
von Catesse (AU), 2016-11-19, 13:56  like dislike  Spam?  
The original German sounds woeful, but the English is definitely wrong.
Normal would be: "Jane took no notice whatsoever of Peter" or "Jane paid no attention whatsoever to Peter".
I cannot imagine anyone saying: "Peter was taken no notice of by Jane". Yuk.
Antwort: 
What is the passive form?  #858855
von Gene0000, 2016-11-19, 14:36  like dislike  Spam?  188.96.131....
Hi
I know that "Jane took no notice whatsoever of Peter" is correct. But I need the passive form of this
sentence. Can anybody help me?
Antwort: 
Passive form  #858858
von Catesse (AU), 2016-11-19, 14:47  like dislike  Spam?  
See the last line of my entry.
Chat:     
von Proofreader, 2016-11-19, 15:00  like dislike  Spam?  80.110.126....
Why are you looking for sentences that nobody uses?
Antwort: 
How to learn these things?  #858862
von Gene0000, 2016-11-19, 15:14  like dislike  Spam?  188.96.131....
Hi,
this is a real big problem to me.
In German the passive senctence is absolutely correct. But in English no one uses the passive form.
I know this is common practice and therefore it sounds wrong. But how to learn such things? Any ideas?
Antwort: 
Current German would be: Jane wurde von Peter gar nicht / überhaupt nicht beachtet.  #858865
von Proteus-, 2016-11-19, 15:58  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.207....
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2016-11-19, 16:49  like dislike  Spam?  
It's not true that 'in English no one uses the passive form.' Just like in German, the passive voice is used to focus on the person or object that experiences an action (not the person or object that performs the action).
The hotel was remodeled extensively. The focus is on the hotel, not on the details of the remodeling.
Peter is being lectured by a teacher. The focus is on the Peter, not on who lectures him or why.

If you want to use the passive voice with your sentence to focus on Peter (and not on Jane), you could write "Peter was completely ignored by Jane." Your "given no notice" is not really used in the sense of acknowledging someone's presence. At least in the U.S., "to give notice" means "to fire someone from his or her job" or "to quit one's job," so it would confuse a reader or listener.
Antwort: 
A normal passive  #858894
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2016-11-20, 00:19  like dislike  Spam?  
In English, the passive is not normally used if there is a clear subject for the verb, although there are plenty of situations where it would sound quite normal.
"Why is John wearing a bandage on his hand?"
"He was bitten by a dog." Clearly, "the dog" did the biting, but in context this passive response sounds quite normal. (In this case, the active form [A dog bit him.] would not sound right, although it is grammatically correct. Maybe somebody who learnt English as a foreign language could explain whether there is any "rule" to cover this.)
The problem is that, with the example you have given, there is no way of forming a passive that sounds like normal speech, even though some forms might be grammatically correct.
"Peter was given no notice whatsoever by Jane."
This is what the situation sounds like. Jane was Peter's employer. Peter did something foolish that caused the company to lose an important contract. Jane sacked Peter on the spot and told him to clear his desk and be out of the building in an hour.
Antwort: 
von Proofreader, 2016-11-20, 03:52  like dislike  Spam?  84.113.32....
I concur with Proteus (15:58) that your German sentence is not used, either. The choice between active and passive voice often depends on the verb(al phrase). "keine Beachtung schenken" is only used in the passive voice when there is no complement: Peter wurde keine Beachtung geschenkt. Otherwise, you would say Jane schenkte Peter keinerlei Beachtung. (active voice).
Antwort: 
von Proofreader, 2016-11-20, 04:09  like dislike  Spam?  84.113.32....
Your construction is hard to grasp because "keine Beachtung schenken" requires a complement in the dative case and when you have names like Peter and Jane you cannot tell which case it is and who is the acting person.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten