Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 I don' work with the customer, the sales admin ... »
« As to next year's possible state visit: How wil...    

English-German Translation of
pretty complete =

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
pretty complete = pretty perfect?  
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2016-11-21, 18:37  like dislike  Spam?  
"Our work was done—that the old man had set his heart on. We cleared out without staying to inquire how they felt. I am convinced that if they had not been so unmercifully shaken, and afraid—each individual one of them —to stand up, we would have been torn to pieces. Oh! It was pretty complete, I can tell you; and you may run to and fro across the Pond to the end of time before you find yourself with such a job on your hands.”

pretty complete = pretty perfect or pretty skilfully done or something else?
Antwort: 
von Jim46 (US), 2016-11-21, 20:14  like dislike  Spam?  
From the dictionary:

to a moderately high degree; fairly.
"he looked pretty fit for his age"
synonyms: quite, rather, somewhat, fairly, reasonably, comparatively, relatively
"a pretty large sum"
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2016-11-21, 20:27  like dislike  Spam?  
No, I'm interested in "complete".
Antwort: 
Thorough  #859053
von Jim46 (US), 2016-11-21, 20:34  like dislike  Spam?  
Pretty complete = rather thorough.  Not much was missing.  My take on it.
Antwort: 
von Dwight (US), 2016-11-22, 05:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Referent of the "it" that was "pretty complete" is not entirely clear; only thing previously mentioned that would seem to qualify is "our work [that] was done"--presumably on the "job" mentioned subsequently. In this context, the "complete" most plausibly means "thoroughly done", doesn't it?
Antwort: 
Unclear  #859084
von Jim46 (US), 2016-11-22, 05:58  like dislike  Spam?  
They did something for the old man.  An act of kindness maybe?  But why would others be so
shaken?  I think the "pretty complete" describes the "unmercifully shaken" and other similar feelings
together.
Chat:     
A bit more of the context:  #859094
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2016-11-22, 08:52  like dislike  Spam?  
There were Chinamen boarded on ship, in the "‘tween-deck." When the storm hit the ship, their luggage, their chests full of money got smashed and the Chinese started fighting for that money that was now lying all over the place. The captain then ordered the sailors to put it away which was a dangerous job, since Chinese thought they were trying to rob them. Here is the same passage extended for a few more sentences at the beginning:

"He described with lurid effect the scenes in the ‘tween-deck: “. . . It struck me in a flash that those confounded Chinamen couldn’t tell we weren’t a desperate kind of robbers. ‘Tisn’t good to part the Chinaman from his money if he is the stronger party. We need have been desperate indeed to go thieving in such weather, but what could these beggars know of us? So, without thinking of it twice, I got the hands away in a jiffy. Our work was done—that the old man had set his heart on. We cleared out without staying to inquire how they felt. I am convinced that if they had not been so unmercifully shaken, and afraid—each individual one of them —to stand up, we would have been torn to pieces. Oh! It was pretty complete, I can tell you; and you may run to and fro across the Pond to the end of time before you find yourself with such a job on your hands.”

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung