Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 bitten helfen »
« trading as (T/A)    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
ALL THINGS  
von Angiologie (UN), 2016-12-01, 22:27  like dislike  Spam?  
He told me to tell you Yes!  So I hope you're happy... I Am !  LOL

And just for the record, I make you nothing... Let ALL THINGS be done decent AND in Order!
Chat:     
English?  #859943
von Catesse (AU), 2016-12-02, 01:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Which sentence do you want translated? Or both? The second one is virtually incomprehensible. "I make you nothing" is meaningless. "Let all things be done decent" is ungrammatical and ambiguous.
Was the original text in a language that is handled by dict?
Antwort: 
ALL THINGS  #859945
von Angiologie (UN), 2016-12-02, 01:28  like dislike  Spam?  
The original text was from an American and was not handled by dict. For me completely incomprehensible because I asked for help. I want the second sentence, but both is better. Thanks!
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), 2016-12-02, 01:40  like dislike  Spam?  
The last sentence is an incorrectly cited Bible verse: Let all things be done decently and in order. 1 Corinthians 14:40. Lutherbibel: Lasset alles ehrbar und ordentlich zugehen.
Antwort: 
von Angiologie (UN), 2016-12-02, 01:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Wow, vielen Dank MichaelK, grossartige Bibel Kenntnis! bin begeistert, Danke. Alles aber geschehe anständig und in Ordnung. 1 Cor 14:40 Elberfelber
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2016-12-02, 02:01  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Angiologie: Hast Du mal 1. Kor. 14:34-36 gelesen?
Chat:     
American English  #859950
von Catesse (AU), 2016-12-02, 02:03  like dislike  Spam?  
I cannot see how your American friend could possibly be a native speaker of English, because "I make you nothing" is meaningless. Does it make sense to any American contributor? (Would it make sense if it was translated through Spanish perhaps?)
(Well done, Michael.)
Chat:     
decent  #859951
von Catesse (AU), 2016-12-02, 02:11  like dislike  Spam?  
No, maybe not Spanish. Even from Spanish via Google, "decentemente" would come out as "decently", not "decent".
Chat:     
No  #859952
von Jim46 (US), 2016-12-02, 02:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2016-12-02, 02:32  like dislike  Spam?  
"I make you nothing" is gibberish to me as well. Sounds like "That makes me nothing out" or "I think I spider."
Antwort: 
von Angiologie (UN), 2016-12-02, 02:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Ja, MichaelK habe ich und ich bin damit einverstanden was Paulus über uns Frauen sagt. Wir sind so wertvoll für die Kinder und Frauen in der Familie und Gemeinde zu lehren, aber unser Schöpfer hat das von Beginn bestimmt, dass "Adam" der Oberhaupt ist. Wir sind grosse Hilfe für einen Mann wenn wir Frauen Gott Gehorsam bleiben, Eph 5:20-21
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2016-12-02, 04:07  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Angiologie: Thanks for your reply. I can't share your view. But I respect it.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-02, 04:12  like dislike  Spam?  
"I make you nothing" has no meaning in English, unless the speaker is two years old, in which case his or her parents may be able to interpret.
Chat:     
Possibly  #859958
von Jim46 (US), 2016-12-02, 04:15  like dislike  Spam?  
It could mean, "I make you no promises -- nothing."
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-02, 04:25  like dislike  Spam?  
If it comes to that, it could also mean "I make you no anchovy pizza -- nothing."
Chat:     
Context doesn't support pizza  #859962
von Jim46 (US), 2016-12-02, 04:29  like dislike  Spam?  
But it could likely mean no promises, no guarantees.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-02, 04:46  like dislike  Spam?  
I make you no promises, no guarantees.  There may be anchovies on the pizza.
Antwort: 
I can imagine it might be a reply to something said before.  #859968
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2016-12-02, 06:18  like dislike  Spam?  
For example, you make me so angry/mad...
...I make you nothing.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-02, 06:40  like dislike  Spam?  
That makes sense.
Antwort: 
The EN prototype is poor  #859995
von atemp (US), 2016-12-02, 14:55  like dislike  Spam?  
"Decent and in order"? Really? The biblical ref should avoid the ambiguous verb and expression with an improved EN rendering:
Everything must be done in a proper and orderly way.

And anyway as MichaelK says, the Luther Bible had it all worked out half a millenium ago:
Lasset alles ehrbar und ordentlich zugehen.

"I make you nothing" is grammatical, and makes sense if, say, one is refusing to make sb. pancakes, and using pidgen to say do.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-02, 16:45  like dislike  Spam?  
While it is grammatical in the sense that it consists of a subject, a verb, a direct object, and an indirect object, it makes no sense to say it except in the most bizarre of situations.  It would definitely be pidgen in the example given.  One could say "I am making you nothing" if one were in the midst of making pancakes.  If one has not yet started making pancakes, one could  say "I will make you nothing."  A native speaker of [AE] would generally not say either of these, but instead. "I'm not making you anything", or "I will not make you anything."  (These actually make sense as an answer to someone who indicates that they do not want any breakfast.)
Antwort: 
All THINGS  #860029
von Angiologie (UN), 2016-12-02, 19:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Vielen herzlichen Dank an Alle die mir geholfen haben.
Chat:     
von atemp (US), Last modified: 2016-12-03, 03:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Well, aphoenix seems to be dogging me among these different threads. I'm flattered by all the nitpicky, prolix attention my postings seem to be drawing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or bizarre per se with "I make you nothing." It has the same core meaning as "I'm not making you anything" with a third fewer words and three fewer syllables. As a native AE speaker and writer I would not hesitate to use the first sentence. Very efficient, like Ich mache dir nichts (which may imply something entirely different; doesn't it mean sth. like "I'm not kidding you"?) oder Ich mache nichts für dich.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-03, 05:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Sorry atemp.  I have shared the sentence with many native speakers during the course of the day and they all disagree with you.  I hope that we can all agree that the US is a very big country and contains a wide variety of people with a wide variety of opinions.  We could probably even find someone who thinks "I think I spider",  suggested above by another native speaker as an example of an equally meaningful sentence, makes sense.  I don't personally have anything more to say on the subject and hope we can all drop it.
Chat:     
Yes, I hope  #860044
von Jim46 (US), 2016-12-03, 05:04  like dislike  Spam?  

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten