Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 über Veranlassung, unter Mitwirkung oder mit Du... »
« Bitte um Hilfe! :)    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Frage zu einer Romanpassage  
von EmmaIII, 2016-12-07, 21:11  like dislike  Spam?  79.206.104....
The Blue ’Uns downslid to a new low on Saturday, being kicked
unceremoniously out of the FA Cup by a team of Saturday afternoon
footballers that didn’t cost a ha’penny between them.

Wer kann mir sagen, was  that didn’t cost a ha’penny between them bedeutet? Spieler, die nichts gekostet haben, weil es Amateure sind? Oder die für ein bisschen Taschengeld dem Ball hinterherlaufen?
Danke!
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-07, 21:43  like dislike  Spam?  
It means that the value of the football (soccer, I presume) players on the team was less than one half penny.  Nothing to do with amateur or professional.  Nothing to do with what they are being paid.  It is meant figuratively.  It is along the lines of "they didn't have a half penny between them" meaning that neither of two people have any money with them or that they don't possess any at all."  In the US there were half penny coins in the 1800s.  In Britain maybe later?
Antwort: 
Thanks!  #860433
von EmmaIII, 2016-12-07, 22:05  like dislike  Spam?  79.206.104....
Yes it's about football in Britain in the fifties.
Thanks for your answer!
Antwort: 
von belvenfish (DE), 2016-12-07, 22:07  like dislike  Spam?  
ah no, you are pulling his legs eh?
Of course it means exactly that. As they were amateurs, they did not cost half-a-penny for the lot of them. And they kicked out a team of expensive professionals. Halfpennies were legal tender until 1969 in Britain, the lowest denomination there was..
Antwort: 
The 'old' halfpenny was around until decimalisation in 1971,  #860435
von Lllama (GB/AT), Last modified: 2016-12-07, 22:25  like dislike  Spam?  
and then 'new' halfpennies took over until 1984. (They weren't worth the same amount - one old penny was 1/240th of a pound, one new penny is 1/100th of a pound.)
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-07, 22:27  like dislike  Spam?  
ok.  sorry.  I assumed it was just a lousy professional team that beat them.  I didn't read it as meaning a professional team was literally playing an amateur team.
Antwort: 
von belvenfish (DE), 2016-12-07, 22:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Correct Lllama, I thought it was much longer than I wrote. The correct phrase is apparently "demonetised" if a particular denomination is taken out of circulation and ceases to be legal tender.
http://robertleach.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Quick-guide-to-...
Chat:     
Currency  #860441
von Catesse (AU), 2016-12-08, 00:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Farthings were legal tender in Britain until 31 December 1960. There is a website that says that Australia never issued farthings, but I remember them. Maybe they were British farthings.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2016-12-08, 09:04  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree that they were amateurs on two grounds: 1. "Saturday afternoon footballers" sound like footballers who play as a hobby on Saturday afternoons and 2. it says they didn't cost a ha'penny (not they weren't worth a ha'penny or didn't have a ha'penny between them). To me it's unimportant whether this was the old or new ha'penny or whether any half penny was still in use at the time of writing, the point of the amount is that it's so low, it's the same as saying "they cost nothing". We regularly use "it didn't cost me a penny" to mean "it didn't cost me anything" in (British) English.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-12-08, 12:28  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.102...
generell spielen die weniger erfolgreichen Vereine samstags, nicht sonntags.
Antwort: 
I agree with Windfall's comments at 9.04.  #860475
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2016-12-08, 12:58  like dislike  Spam?  
My previous comment was irrelevant to the question and just correcting the statement in belvenfish's post - sorry if it caused confusion or distraction.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung