Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 rave around »
« Schlitz- und Durchbruchangaben    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
to hello  
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 02:49  like dislike  Spam?  
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=1308956

So what am I supposed to do in this situation?  One would not generally use the verb "to hello sb." when one means "to say hello to sb."  I'm not the only person who has pointed out that "to hello sb." doesn't just sound odd, it is unheard of in [AE].  However, we've been ignored.  The dictionary http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hello clearly indicates that (meanings 4 and 5) it is more commonly used without an object.  (otherwise they would be meanings 5 and 6 not 4 and 5.)  http://de.langenscheidt.com/englisch-deutsch/hello?term=hello&q... meaning C rather than meaning D.    I don't want to start a new entry and have everyone ignore the dictionaries all over again.
Never mind.  I just deleted my vote and I'll just let those poor users that read the entry make fools of themselves.  Not exactly the Christmas spirit, but I can't move the world singlehandedly.  I guess this is why some people just input more words and don't ever seem to vote on anyone else's.
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-12-26, 03:08  like dislike  Spam?  
Ok, I just voted for your comment version.
Don't worry about achieving high voting power IMO, it is a waste of effort and leads to low-quality entries due to excessive sheepishness. Vote what's right.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 04:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks kkava.  You're right, of course.  I just run out of patience after a while.
Chat:     
hello  #861654
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2016-12-26, 08:54  like dislike  Spam?  
OED  -  no tag for Br. ..... meaning it's Am. too

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/270707?rskey=pkzDXk&result=1#eid
" hello, v.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation:  Brit. /həˈləʊ/, /hɛˈləʊ/,  U.S. /həˈloʊ/, /hɛˈloʊ/
Frequency (in current use):  
Origin: Formed within English, by conversion. Etymon: hello int.
Etymology: < hello int. Compare earlier hallo v., hollo v.

1. intr. To say or shout ‘hello’.

1834—1999(Show quotations)

2. trans. To say or shout ‘hello’ to (a person, etc.).
In quot. 1874: = hollo v. 2a. "

.....  and whether it's never heard or used is a different matter .....  
" .... how to speak English."  Good question. .... not a new quarrel at all.
Antwort: 
The verb hello in an up-to-date US dictionary: can it be unheard of in [AE]? Or has US usage radically changed since 2010?  #861667
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 14:39  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.54....
hello
used as a greeting or response, as in telephoning
used to attract attention
used to express astonishment or surprise: hello! what's this in my soup?
Origin of hello: variant, variety of hollo
pl. -·los′
an instance of saying or exclaiming “hello”
-·loed′, -·lo′ing
to say or exclaim “hello” (to)
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/hello
Antwort: 
I helloed to the boys ... Wells, Fargo & Co. Stagecoach and Train Robberies, 1870-1884  #861669
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 15:14  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.54....
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 17:25  like dislike  Spam?  
(1)  Americans do read English literature, hence the dictionary will contain some words that are not used in the US.  They are not necessarily always marked as used only abroad.
(2)  The fact that a term was used in 1874 does not mean that it is used today.  This is true in any language, but especially in the US because of the fact that immigrants came from so many regions that marginal words disappeared more quickly.  See Wikipedia(EN): Demography_of_the_United_States Figure 2 for ancestry analysis.    Quick summary:  German 15.2%, Irish 10.8%, African 8.8%, English 8.7%.
(3)  When considering literary usage, it is important to evaluate the source.  I have seen instances cited here in which the list of citations included, for example, five from before 1900 and two newer works of fiction that were clearly written in pre-1900 language.  Authors do this in order to lend authenticity to a story occurring in an earlier time.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 20:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Additional notes regarding the ancestry chart:  
The 7.2% who list their origin as "American" either simply don't know or have no more than 50% ancestry traceable to any one country or don't figure it's any of the government's business where their ancestors came from.  (The second of these options is probably by far the most common.) The figure for native Americans (the currently accepted term for what were generally called "American Indians" until around 20 or 30 years ago) is only 2.8%.
Although the figure cited is labelled Figure 2, it is not the second figure in the article.  The intervening ones weren't properly encoded.
Antwort: 
unheard of in [AE] How can a single contributor cover the length, breadth and depth of US usage with any confidence?  #861691
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 20:29  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.202....
Antwort: 
Cf. Wikipedia(EN): American_English  Is not the whole of US English an exceedingly hard row to hoe for any single contributor?  #861692
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 20:35  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.202....
Antwort: 
Does helloing not come natural to any speakers of English? Take on analogy oohing and aahing ...  #861696
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 20:59  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.202....
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 23:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Proteus, I've lived in eight states, including ones in the Midwest, the Far West, New England, and Florida.  I have lived in or near the cities of Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Indianapolis, NY, San Jose/San Francisco/Oakland, etc.  I have traveled to at least 49 of the 50 states on vacations, getting to know many more areas of the US.  In fact, of the 50 largest cities in the country, per Wikipedia(EN): List_of_United_States_cities_by_population, I believe Virginia Beach and Seattle are the only ones I may not have visited.  If you prefer to look at the 100 largest, you can add Honolulu and Spokane.  

I regularly read newspapers from all over the country.  Furthermore, I was not the only person to point out the problem

As for "helloing" coming naturally; no, it doesn't.  "Saying hello" comes naturally.  I did point this out in the discussion of the entry.

p.s.  You might want to wait a bit longer for an answer before assuming you are being ignored.  We are no all online all the time.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-27, 00:33  like dislike  Spam?  
btw, it is not unusual for an American to have lived in as many places as I.  Most of my friends and colleagues can say the same; so, even if I have not lived somewhere, chances are good that someone I know has.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-12-27, 12:20  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.102...
4; aphoenix. It's an uphill struggle (see also kkava's comment). I'm sorry to say that German speakers in particular go by the printed (or these days online) word. There have been many instances when native speakers told them "no, that's wrong". But as long as it's listed in a dictionary somewhere, they're not paid any heed. Just stating facts.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2016-12-27, 14:36  like dislike  Spam?  
4;aphoenix: Also consider that unlike 10 or 15 years ago, those who quickly shout out an ill-researched answer are often given the most credibility here. And belittling others with questions you really don't want answered no longer seems to be something people take exception to.
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2016-12-29, 08:32  like dislike  Spam?  
4;uffiee - dict.cc is a dictionary
.... und ja  " ... stating facts." .... Nothing wrong with it.  But whether it's still in use etc. - different matter. But a dictionary should list the words .....
A long long time ago, "dictler" discussed  "dictionary  vs. thesaurus"  .....

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten