Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 leiderfahrener »
« Could you, please, translate this sentence into...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
A n y   c o m m e n t s ?  
von Proteus., 2017-01-01, 22:39  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.49....
'No excuses': inside Britain's strictest school
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/30/no-excuses-inside...
Chat:     
Encouraging  #862205
von Jim46 (US), 2017-01-01, 23:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Maybe the pendulum is nearing its limit and will begin to swing the other way soon.
Chat:     
Sorry, this got long...  #862217
von alex-k (DE), 2017-01-02, 04:37  like dislike  Spam?  
I think that pendulum has already swung too far, if you ask me. I don't disagree that discipline is good in education. Punishment in schools may have become too lax. I disagree with having them walk in Orwellian silence in the hallways. There must be a better way to prevent bullying. I also think that there can be a balance between full frontal lectures and guided teaching. BTW whoever thinks that students and teachers have the same level knowledge, like the lady suggests in the article, is an idiot. Or the teacher is. We all just know where to google stuff. That's not the same.
Teachers in Germany complain that parents seem to expect schools to raise their children for them, imparting values and knowledge alike, so mother and father don't have to. While this sort of school may be a direct result of that attitude, it will only cement this mindset and I do not believe that's a good thing. Furthermore, I fear this type of school will mostly produce obedient subjects. If, for instance, the school by orders of the education ministry were to start teaching the children an unwavering loyalty to the Crown, the state, or what have you, we'd be in trouble. Watch “Der Untertan” for an example of how this could go wrong.
Chat:     
Sounds exactly like the grade schools I attended.   #862218
von aphoenix (US), 2017-01-02, 08:17  like dislike  Spam?  
We didn't think it was unusual, and it certainly did not teach us to blindly follow orders.  Teaching people to be respectful, helpful, courteous, and responsible is a good first step towards teaching critical reasoning because it requires people to think beyond "what do I want" to "what would others like", beyond "now" to "at an appropriate time", beyond "I don't feel like it" to "it needs to be done and probably no one else wants to do it either but if we each do our share..."  From there it is straightforward to broaden the area of discussion to more complex behaviors and issues.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten