Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 A question about use of gender »
« [also something] or [also: something] or ...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Stockwerkeigentumsbegründung - storey ownership (BE)/condominium (ownership) (AE)  
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2017-01-30, 14:47  like dislike  Spam?  
I wanted to avoid using "condomium" in British English. I did some further research and found this definition of Stockwerkeigentum in UBS's glossary:
Zu jeder Stockwerkeinheit gehört unter anderem das Recht, bestimmte Teile eines Gebäudes ausschliesslich zu benutzen und innen auszubauen. Aus Sicht der Stockwerkeigentümer steht vor allem der Wunsch im Vordergrund, die Stockwerkeinheit frei nutzen, ausgestalten, veräussern und belasten zu können. Um diese Ansprüche auf Dauer zu sichern, bedarf es einer umfassenden Regelung der Rechte und Pflichten eines jeden Stockwerkeigentümers und der Organisation der Stockwerkeigentümergemeinschaft.
Tragbarkeit
And this translation of Stockwerkeigentum as "condominium" or "storey ownership" here https://www.termdat.bk.admin.ch/Search/Search
so I decided to go with "establishment of storey ownership" in BE
Chat:     
von alex-k (DE), Last modified: 2017-01-30, 13:15  like dislike  Spam?  
Edit: never mind;)
From internet research, this appears to be setting in stone which areas of the building and more specifically on one floor of the building are common areas owned cooperatively and which areas belong to individual units. I have no idea what that would be called in English though...
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), 2017-01-30, 13:15  like dislike  Spam?  
At the link, the Swiss Civil Code in English with the translation furnished by the Swiss Government (www.admin.ch). Note that the translation has no legal force. The pertinent articles are Art. 712a through 712t, starting on page 210 under the heading "Condominium."
https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classified-compilation/19070042/2017010...
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-01-30, 13:20  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, alex. I've come to the conclusion that it's a Swiss concept with no clear British equivalent and only partially matched by the US concept of "condominium" or "condominium ownership". I think "storey ownership" is OK as a literal translation, although as I don't think we have this concept (culturally or legally), it only gives people a rough idea. On the plus side, there are now two places where a back translation from storey ownership  to Stockwerkeigentum can now be found: here and https://www.termdat.bk.admin.ch/Search/Search , which should help people who understand Swiss law work out which concept that phrase refers to in English translations of Swiss documents.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-01-30, 13:20  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, Michael.
Antwort: 
Found an Irish source: establishment of storey ownership  #863902
von Proteus-, 2017-01-30, 13:41  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.200....
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2017-01-30, 13:45  like dislike  Spam?  
I understand the reluctance to use 'condominium.' But I would use it, if for no other reason than it can be referenced quickly and accurately to the semi-official translation of the Swiss Civil Code. No one coming across the word 'condominium' in a Swiss legal text would assume that U.S. (or any other country's) laws, regulations or customary procedures would apply. In short, there's no need, in my view, to invent or use another (and potentially confusing) term.
Antwort: 
Please enter Stockwerkeigentumsbegründung > establishment of storey ownership in dict.cc  #863905
von Proteus-, 2017-01-30, 14:04  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.200....
Circumbendibus if the Swiss Code is made absolute:
Stockwerkeigentumbegründung > establishment of the exclusive right to make sole use of a storey within a condominium (Art. 712a + b, Swiss Civil Code)  Please also include vocab in dict.cc
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), 2017-01-30, 14:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Agree with the 14:04 phrase. My point was to not shy away from the word "condominium."
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2017-01-30, 14:48  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Michael, the problem is that "condominium" really isn't meaningful in UK English. It's not just that people would think I was using an American word, it's that they'd probably have to look it up to realise it had any meaning other than "flat" (=apartment) at all.
4;Proteus, are you referring to Art 712 a "1 Condominium is a form of co-ownership of immovable property that gives the co-owner the exclusive right to make sole use of specific parts of a building thereon and design the interior of such parts."?
I have the suspicion that if I add "storey ownership" it will lead to a lengthy debate and to the entry remaining unverified. I've made far less contentious entries in the past that are still unverified. On the plus side, a Google search will bring this forum entry up.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-01-30, 15:06  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Windfall: The Swiss government has no such qualms. Methinks you might be overthinking this, sorry.
Antwort: 
Art. 712 a + b Swiss Civil Code; the Irish source goes to show that your solution comes more natural in an insular context   #863912
von Proteus-, 2017-01-30, 15:10  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.200....
However, you may want to add my suggestion in brackets in order to make the Swiss context evident.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-01-30, 15:27  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, Proteus.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten