Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 A question about use of gender »
« zu    

English-German Translation of
[also something]

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
[also something] or [also: something] or ...  
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2017-01-30, 16:54  like dislike  Spam?  
I am unable to find in the guidelines or the forum a definitive answer to the question, when and how [also should be used.  I find it used and not used in these different methods in existing entries:
1. word [synonym for word]
2. word [also synonym for word]
3. word [also: synonym for word]
4. word [comma-separated list of synonyms]
5. word [also comma-separated list of synonyms]
6. word [also: comma-separated list of synonyms]
7. word [commonly-used alternate spelling of word]
8. word [also commonly-used alternate spelling of word]
9. word [also: commonly-used alternate spelling of word]
10. word [comma-separated list of alternate spellings of word]
11. word [also comma-separated list of alternate spellings of word]
12. word [also: comma-separated list of alternate spellings of word]
I've been corrected on occasion for not using the correct form, but it not being in the guidelines, I never remember.  Could someone please indicate which of these twelve options are acceptable for new entries and those reopened for other reasons.  (I know we don't want to go back and reopen things just for the purpose of changing the formatting.)  It would seem to me that the guidelines forbid all of the comma-separated lists, but some, especially if they have only two elements, are being used.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2017-01-30, 16:58  like dislike  Spam?  
I don't recall having agreed on any single correct form for this. From my point of view, anything in square brackets should be:
1. understandable
2. as short as possible

If that is the case, I don't see an error.
Correct me if I'm wrong or if I missed something.
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2017-01-30, 16:59  like dislike  Spam?  
I'm against comma separated lists of synonyms in general - that's a theasaurus. And personally, I think that a disambig. tag should only be added when there is ambiguity. Otherwise it's just a GL2 workaround.

There is also [also fig.] and probably some related modifiers.

I'm not against reopening entries based on formatting when it's bad.
Antwort: 
von geo255 (US), 2017-01-30, 17:02  like dislike  Spam?  
A general custom, as I understand it, is to follow "also" and "auch" with a colon.  

I don't think there is any restriction, formal or otherwise, regarding the existence of a comma-separated list.  Words appearing in brackets will be picked up in a search just like main entry words.  So, alternate spellings can work in brackets if we are opposed words separated by a space with those hyphenated.  Use of square brackets won't work in searches to retrieve a space-separated word with one written without separation (or vice versa)
Chat:     
kka schreibt: "I'm not against reopening entries based on formatting when it's bad."  #863925
von parker11 (DE), 2017-01-30, 18:51  like dislike  Spam?  
Na, dann mal los: happy re-opening. Wir haben ja sonst nichts zu tun.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2017-01-31, 12:15  like dislike  Spam?  
Eckige Klammern können unterschiedlichste Arten von Zusatzinformationen enthalten, Disambiguationen sind nur eine (wichtige) Möglichkeit. Es gibt dafür keine formalen guidelines - logischer- und glücklicherweise.
Paul's 'understandable and as short as possible' ist eine wichtige Richtschnur. Ob überhaupt ein Klammerzusatz nötig ist, und ob er verständlich und kurz genug ist, darüber entscheiden die Voter.
Und bitte, bitte keine reopens wegen 'bad formatting'!
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2017-02-01, 03:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Diverse functions of square brackets  #864242
von tomaquinaten (US/DE), Last modified: 2017-02-04, 17:19  like dislike  Spam?  
As ddr points out above, "square brackets can contain different kinds of supplementary information about a term." Here is a provisional summary:
A. indicating the grammatical CASE for verbal or prepositional objects, e.g. "[Akk.]" etc
B. information disambiguating the MEANING of a term when it is used to translate a given term in the
    form of opposite language
       -  brief definitions, often in the form of one or more synonymous terms, separated if necessary by
                 commas, e.g. EN/DE No. 99397: "calm  =  ruhig [still, gelassen, teilnahmslos]".
                    The point of giving synonyms in such cases is NOT to function as a thesaurus,
                    BUT to indicate the scope of the term's meaning when used as a translation of a given
                    term in the opposite language
, and often this cannot be done sufficiently by giving only one
                    synonym.
       -  short lists of examples, often but not always introduced by "e.g." or "z.B." or concluded with "etc."
                 for example EN/DE No. 614368: "addicted  =  abhängig [von Drogen etc.]"
       -  longer explanations, when the meaning cannot otherwise be clarified, e.g. EN/DE No. 980133:
                 "G-Klassifizierung {f} [deutsche Klassifizierung für Gästehäuser, Gasthöfe und Pensionen]"
                    Within this category also fall the bracketed definitions/explanations that are given for
                    untranslatable terms.
C. information restricting or qualifying the USE of a term
       -  qualifications regarding regional expressions  like [Amer,], [Brit.], [österr.], etc.;
       -  qualifications for out-of-date expressions like [obs.] and [arch.] corresponding to the German
                 [veralt.] and [dated] corresponding to the German [veraltend];
       -  qualifications indicating special contextual connotations  like. [fig.], [hum.], [pej.]; etc.
       -  qualifications indicating stylistic levels like [coll.], [slang], [ugs], [lit.], [geh.], [vulg.];
       -  qualifications indicating non-standard or less frequent spelling, namely [spv.] = [Rsv.] and the
                  construction [also: ...] = [auch: ...].

Paul [see above #863919] has always insisted that there are no firm rules for what is put within square brackets provided that it is understandable and not overly wordy; see also ddr above #863964. For the sake of clarity, however, our general practice [see #863921 and   #863715]  has been to insert a colon after "also" / "auch" and after "for" / "für" when they are used to introduce a synonymous or preferred term (or a series of such terms).

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung