Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Admiral »
« Reaktion auf eine Kundenbeschwerde    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
[Spherical]  
von Tammy43, 2017-03-22, 10:56  like dislike  Spam?  2.247.247....
Was ist die Bedeutung von "a parcel of sphericals"? Der Begriff kommt häufiger in Artikeln von Paul Routledge in der englischen Zeitung "The Mirror" vor. Zitat "This exercise looks like a parcel of sphericals to me"
Antwort: 
sphericals possibly Daily Mirror slang for balls (~ nonsense; rubbish (often said to express strong disagreement))  #867231
von Proteus-, 2017-03-22, 11:48  like dislike  Spam?  193.83.224....
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2017-03-22, 12:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich meine, Paul Routledges sphericals sind Zirkelschlüsse -- also Versuche, eine Schlussfolgerung mit der Prämisse zu beweisen. Die Bibel ist Gottes Wort weil es so in der Bibel steht.

Habe den Beitrag von Proteus nicht rechtzeitig gesehen. Aber balls = rubbish kann auch stimmen. Kenne mich mit Routledge nicht aus.

PS: Hab jetzt ein paar Artikel von Routledge gelesen. Proteus' Vermutung ist wirklichkeitsnäher.
Chat:     
Michael  #867234
von Catesse (AU), 2017-03-22, 13:50  like dislike  Spam?  
I don't think that the staff of the +Daily Mirror" would assume that its readers had the intellectual capacity to understand the philosophical reasoning. The vulgar slang would be more likely to appeal to its readership. However, it is possible.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-03-22, 14:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Catesse: Agree wholeheartedly.

My comment about circular reasoning wasn't really about philosophy, only about the logical fallacy of circular reasoning. Perhaps my biblical example was misleading. Having this fallacy pointed out might even benefit the readers of the Daily Mirror, as it could benefit the supporters of the current U.S. administration. (I say it's true, therefore it's true.).
Chat:     
von asf, 2017-03-22, 14:39  like dislike  Spam?  85.197.54....
You should probably compare the OED link provided by Proteus- with this one:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bollocks
Antwort: 
Reminder: Please differentiate between circle and sphere  #867248
von Proteus-, 2017-03-22, 16:06  like dislike  Spam?  193.83.224....
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22circle%22+%22sphere%22+%22geometry%2...;

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22circular+reasoning%22+%22%22+%22%22+...;

spherical reasonig appears to have some currency among people trained neither in logic nor geometry.
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22spherical+reasoning%22+%22logic%22+%...;*

For the Daily Mirror those readers may be thick on the ground.
Chat:     
But remember: Any cross-section through a sphere is a circle.  #867262
von MichaelK (US), 2017-03-22, 19:45  like dislike  Spam?  
You can't out-schoolmarm me, Proteus.  :-)
Chat:     
Does spherical [query: parcel of sphericals] in any way indicate or relate to anything like a cross-section of a sphere = a circular plane ?  #867265
von Proteus-, 2017-03-22, 20:28  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.239...
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-03-22, 20:42  like dislike  Spam?  
Proteus, I was poking fun at you apparently reminding the esteemed and learned contributors to this thread that there's a difference between a circle and a sphere. Just some levity, that's all.
Antwort: 
...  #867270
von Proteus-, 2017-03-22, 21:06  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.239...
But you may have hit the nail on the head by suggesting that "a parcel of sphericals" may indeed refer to circular reasoing. Perhaps this turn of phrase illiterately flouts any considerations of geometry or learned logic.
Chat:     
On the other hand, even academically I hear Balls! much more often than Nonsense! or Drivel! / Piflle! or in fact the Americanism Bullshit!  #867271
von Proteus-, 2017-03-22, 21:13  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.239...
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-03-22, 21:56  like dislike  Spam?  
From what little Routledge I read, I could see that he goes on about his being a friend of the working people. To prove it to his readers, he peppers his musings with a few earthy expressions.
Chat:     
Michael  #867282
von Catesse (AU), 2017-03-23, 02:23  like dislike  Spam?  
I had multiple experiences of his sort of thing during a protracted argument with a certain person whom I shall call A. To support his view, which was as noxious as it was illogical, he referred to published works by B and C. Fortunately, both these authors provided good footnotes for their sources, and in both cases the source was A. I don't know whether he was too stupid to realise that this was fallacious, or too deceitful to care. Both, I suspect.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-03-23, 03:00  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Catesse: Perhaps he could no longer keep his stories straight. "Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"

PS: But when we've practiced for a while, how vastly we improve our style.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten