|   All Languages   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   HU   FI   ES   LA   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   SQ   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   PL   RU   SV   NO   SQ   IT   FI   DA   PT   CS   RO   HR   BG   EO   LA   BS   TR   SR   EL

English-German Dictionary

Online Dictionary English-German: Enter keyword here!
  äöüß...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|ShuffleNEW|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 "Es gibt" oder "Es ist"? »
« disabled    

English-German Translation Forum

« go back | show/hide answers | follow discussion
Term:
clear-fell coupe  
by ksoktogon (HU), Last modified: 2017-07-03, 14:01  like dislike  Spam?  
Could someone please give me a short explanation about what "clear-fell coupe" means in the text below? An area where trees have been logged completely?

FELICITY OGILVIE: But the state-based logging business Forestry Tasmania's plan to log within 10 metres of one of the mountain bike trails alarmed some in the community.

Accommodation owner Christine Booth says her guests come for the nature; and she is opposed to the clear felling of native forest close to the trails.

CHRISTINE BOOTH: I think even forestry people would agree with me in saying that a clear-fell coupe is not compatible with a nature-based experience; and that our tourists would not be terribly happy with walking through, or seeing, or being surrounded by that type of logging operation.
Answer:
Easy-peasy (with a smattering of French) +coupe > +  #873437
by Proteus-, 2017-07-03, 15:10  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.87....
Answer:
by anonymous, 2017-07-03, 15:36  like dislike  Spam?  100.4.125....
The 'coupe' in this term stands for a marked-out section of forest designated for clear-cutting, not the action of cutting.
Answer:
15:36 — Couldn't disagree more  #873444
by Proteus-, 2017-07-03, 15:44  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.87....
Quote (14:01): ... not compatible with a nature-based experience; and that our tourists would not be terribly happy with walking through, or seeing, or being surrounded by that type of logging operation .

Logically, operation is a kind of action, isn't it?
Answer:
by anonymous, 2017-07-03, 16:08  like dislike  Spam?  100.4.125....
First line at this link explains what a clear-fell coupe is: http://www.forestnetwork.net/Docs/clearf.htm

You can't guess at this stuff. Easy-peasy way to do translations, but results in many translation errors.
Answer:
Again, couldn't disagree more  #873456
by Proteus-, 2017-07-03, 16:35  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.87....
The fact that coupe in your LINK refers to a certain plot of forest after clear felling does not turn a logging operation into such a plot. L'analyse du texte doit être précise et fidèle.
Answer:
by anonymous, 2017-07-03, 16:56  like dislike  Spam?  100.4.125....
Perhaps I'm not being clear enough. A 'coupe' in this context is an area. I'm out of here.
Answer:
Perhaps logic helps, if French does not: an operation is an action and by no means an area or a plot  #873461
by Proteus-, 2017-07-03, 17:01  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.87....
Chat:    
by timfefe (AU/AT), Last modified: 2017-07-03, 22:02  like dislike  Spam?  
"Clear-felling coupe", or "logging coupe" is an AREA of the forest that's been logged or deignated for logging. Check here, for example
https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-6xjert
and I quote:
"... on the lower slopes and valley bottoms, around public roads and recreation areas, felling coupes are generally small (5-15 ha).  On the middle slopes, where the view of the forest is mainly in the middle to long distance rather than from within, coupes are generally 25-50 ha.  On the upper slopes and high level plateaux, less visible from public roads and recreation areas, coupe size is generally 50-100 ha."

The following article (from Oz) supports the same notion, that "clear-fell coupe" is an area:
http://www.oren.org.au/logging/clearfell.htm
and I quote:
"Clearfell logging involves the removal of almost all vegetation from a given area (a 'logging coupe'). ... In the Otways, coupes typically range in size from 15 to 25 hectares."

Many other articles support the same notion. Just google "clear-fell coupe" or "logging coupe" and search for occurrences of the word "coupe". Must be fake news.
Answer:
(22:02) By this logic, in that type of logging operation (14:01) the word operation means area / plot rather than action  #873481
by Proteus-, 2017-07-03, 22:54  like dislike  Spam?  62.46.132....
Must be the only operation worldwide quite illogically to have assumed the sense of square footage / acreage!
Chat:    
by timfefe (AU/AT), 2017-07-04, 00:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, your sense of logic here is sound, but many English speakers use the language more freely, more flexibly, and don’t always meet the precise phraseology standards that you might be expecting. So your expectation of perfect logic has led you to an error in translation.

You have pointed out that in the original post, “clear-fell coupe” seems to relate to “logging operation” at the end of the para. You are correct there. But English speakers (in our case – the accommodation owner Christine Booth of Tasmania) often express themselves more flexibly, and, might I say, more flowingly. Had our lady Christine Booth expressed herself with 100% logical precision, she would have said that a “clear-fell coupe” was the result of the logging operation, or would be the result of a planned logging operation.

4;ksoktogon
A “clear-fell coupe”, “clear-felling coupe” or “logging coupe” is a popular term in Oz to describe a forest AREA cleared completely (or designated to be cleared completely) by logging operation. To some nature lovers this is an eyesore.
Chat:    
In whatever language I know people tend to speak / write more and more loosely.   #873485
by Proteus-, 2017-07-04, 08:01  like dislike  Spam?  62.116.61....
The vigour of Dante, Goethe, Rabelais, Shakespeare has been replaced by the decrepitude of babble and gabble.

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2022 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
English-German online dictionary developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Contains translations by TU Chemnitz and Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (German-English). Thank you!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement