|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Leserzuschrift an die "JUNEAU POST" / Alaska/USA »
« Bitte um Korrekturlesen!    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Textverständnis aus https://www.ego4u.de/de/read-on/countries/usa/life/prom-night  
von FelixHofmann (DE), 2017-08-16, 11:41  like dislike  Spam?  
By Ian Partridge

What is prom night? For your parents, prom night usually included a dinner followed by a dance at school. The entire event lasted no longer than one night.

What is prom night today? Prom night is still the most important dance of high school senior year. And like always, the night still revolves around having a date. Most teens would rather avoid the prom altogether than arrive without a date.

vorgegebene multiple-choice Antworten:

What is the prom?
1. a match-making party for teenagers
2. a one night stand for parents
3. a special event for high school students

also: die richtige Antwort war/ist hier #3
aber warum ist #1 falsch ? wenn doch im Text klipp und klar steht :
" And like always, the night still revolves around having a date."
.....und wie eh und je gehts in der Nacht nur darum, ein Date zu machen/zu haben.....

?????
Antwort: 
matchmaking  #876474
von Ivy (DE), 2017-08-16, 11:46  like dislike  Spam?  
dict.cc: matchmaking

Es geht hier nicht darum, Teenager zu verkuppeln, sondern es dreht sich alles darum, jemanden zu finden, mit dem man zur Party geht.
Chat:     
Einspruch Euer Ehren  #876476
von FelixHofmann (DE), 2017-08-16, 11:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Jemanden,zu finden, mit dem man da hingeht, ist offensichtlich ( siehe folgender Text aus ebenselbem Elaborat) ein quälender Prozess, der sich bereits monatelang im voraus der Prom-Night hinzieht / vorsätzlich in die Wege geleitet wird , insbesondere aus Sicht der Mädchen

"Most teens would rather avoid the prom altogether than arrive without a date.
Guys agonize over whether the answer will be “yes” or “no” when they ask a girl to the prom. They don’t realize that girls devote months toward relationships to be asked by the right person."
Antwort: 
Einspruch  #876477
von Ivy (DE), 2017-08-16, 12:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Wieso? Was habe ich denn anderes gesagt/geschrieben? The Prom ist ein spezielles Ereignis für Schüler der Highschool. (Antwort Nr. 3) Das Suchen nach einer passenden Begleitung ist doch nicht "the Prom". Das findet vorher statt (und scheint sich mitunter recht schwierig für einige Teenager zu gestalten...)
Antwort: 
FelixHofmann  #876479
von MartinKr, 2017-08-16, 12:30  like dislike  Spam?  185.151.58....
Wie du selbst richtig erkannt hast, gehen die Teenager ja schon mit einem Partner zu der Party hin, der "match-making"-Prozess findet also schon vorher statt. Deshalb ist es eben auch keine "match-making" Party. An welcher Stelle kann man denn da nun etwas missverstehen?
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), 2017-08-16, 13:23  like dislike  Spam?  
The exercise wants you to find the two words wholly inappropriate to a U.S. American high school prom. These two words are "match-making" and "one-night stand" as the words would be understood by U.S. Americans. That leaves sentence 3 as the only correct answer.
Chat:     
This is one of these witty MichaelK comments :)  #876515
von MartinKr, 2017-08-16, 17:39  like dislike  Spam?  185.151.58....
Let me guess what you mean, MichaelK: "high school prom" culture was probably developed in the 1950s, so it comes with the corresponding value system - including "no sex before marriage" and "finding your true love(TM) as a mystical process" - am I right?
Chat:     
von Fifeifo, 2017-08-16, 20:05  like dislike  Spam?  84.189.61....
Proms go way back and are officially meant to introduce young people to social events just like the "Debütanninenball". American film industry depicts horny teenagers trying to smuggle in alcohol and hoping to get some girl into a hotel room afterwards. The truth is likely somewhere in-between.

Wikipedia(EN): Prom
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2017-08-17, 00:45  like dislike  Spam?  
4;MartinKr: If there's some humor in my previous comment, it's probably unintended.

The word "match-making" is inappropriate in the prom context because it implies a third person patently arranging a relationship between two persons. The term "one-night stand" is inappropriate in the prom context because it means a casual one-time sexual encounter.

Proms are complex affairs for which match-making attempts may occur ("Why don't you take that sweet Jennifer Smedley to the prom? You know, both your dad and I think she's a wonderful girl!"), and there's always some furtive sexual activity in the high school parking lot during the prom. But match-making and sex are never the defining features of a prom. Suggesting that they are would provoke laughter.

Not sure about "no sex before marriage." In my days, that was a pious fantasy held by adults. I understand  that now there are actually groups of young people who pledge to abstain. I'm too old to comment on that phenomenon other than to say that it seems strange to me. "Finding your true love" is still alive and well last time I looked. Perhaps taking out a patent on it was a good thing!

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung