|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Cards facing up / down »
« Could you proofread this text?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
British English Suffixes  
von geo255 (US), 2017-08-28, 00:50  like dislike  Spam?  
A couple of non-native English speakers insist on an inflexible rule that all nouns ending in -sation are British English.

These individuals are resorting to multiple reopens despite evidence that contradicts their position.  When one or more major English dictionaries (Oxford, Merriam-Webster) fails to confirm a British spelling, that should be sufficient evidence NOT to employ the 'Br' tag.  

English is NOT as regular as German and there is no hard and fast rule about British vs American noun suffixes.

I respectfully remind my Germanophone colleagues that I am a native American English speaker and I frequently encounter American English usage such as 'authorisation'.  To insist otherwise is very troubling.

I have requested Paul to review what is going on in this respect and take steps to stop this activity and come to some understanding so we can get on with productive work.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2017-08-28, 04:09  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree with geo255.
Antwort: 
I agree with Geo  #877288
von joerg (DE), 2017-08-28, 05:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
I'm not a native speaker  #877290
von NemanjaTB (BA), 2017-08-28, 08:25  like dislike  Spam?  
I'm not a native speaker, but I read all Geo's comments regarding this issue (in the last few "-sation" entries), and they seem very rational to me (ngram, dictionaries, etc.).

So when it comes to this issue, +5 from me to his disambiguation "[spv.]".

Regards to all,
Nemanja
Antwort: 
von pw86 (DE), 2017-08-28, 08:39  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree with geo255, generally, all entries should be as clear, short, and simple as possible.
Antwort: 
ize, ization = spv. ist mißverständlich und deshalb nicht hilfreich für den User - sei es  #877300
von Wenz (DE), Last modified: 2017-08-28, 09:38  like dislike  Spam?  
ein Schüler oder ein Mensch im Berufsleben, der eine engl.-sprachige Abhandlung schreiben muss - oder gar für Übersetzer (die beispielsweise einen Marketing-Text für ein ganz bestimmtes Land/Gebiet übersetzen müssen - diese Problematik sollte nicht kleingeredet werden!!!) .
Artikel über Oxford Spelling lesen und alles ist klar. Usage ...
British spelling mostly uses -ise, ... Ratio 3:2 ... in Ireland, India, Australia and New Zealand -ise spellings strongly prevail: the -ise form is preferred in Australian English at a ratio of about 3:1 usw.
Wikipedia(EN): American_and_British_English_spelling_differences
Wikipedia(EN): Oxford_spelling
Beispiele aus Dictionaries:
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/author...
au·tho·ri·za·tion
noun
also British au·tho·ri·sa·tion
http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/unabridged/authorisation
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/authorisa...

PS: Fett ist die nachträgliche Ergänzung.
Es wäre hilfreich ein Feedback von dem einen oder anderen Br.-Native Speaker zu erhalten.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-28, 12:02  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
We need a solution to the [spv.] vs. [Br.] controversy.  #877320
von BHM (DE), 2017-08-28, 12:09  like dislike  Spam?  
I think there is general agreement that the -ise / -isation forms are fairly rare in the US and pretty common in GB. Only frequency of use differs.
Hence I suggest that PAUL change all the [Br.] entries into [esp. Br.] ones. I hope that all of us can live with that solution.
Antwort: 
Preferred spelling  #877322
von jb (GB), 2017-08-28, 12:21  like dislike  Spam?  
Both geo255 and Wenz are right, of course. The problem is how to marry the two points of view. As a British native speaker, I am surprised to learn that the "-ise/isation" suffix is found in AE. Equally, while The Chicago Manual of Style has references to "alphabetizing", "capitalization", etc., it makes no prescriptions about "-ize/ization" usage. Clearly, the majority of educated readers in both countries, i.e. UK and USA, accept the variants and live with them. Many British writers actually prefer the "-ize/ization" variant as the more suitable alternative (with the notable exception of analyze and verbs such as advertise, advise, arise, comprise, compromise, devise, exercise, revise, surprise, to which it does not apply). However, there does seem to be some correlation with reality in the rule "-ize/ization = AE; -ise/isation = BE (and the English of former British colonies). Most British schoolchildren, for instance, tend to be taught the "-ise/isation" spelling and, in 1969, there was a famous BBC TV series by the art historian (Lord) Kenneth Clark called "Civilisation". Hence, it seems safe to say that while the "Br./Am." distinction in the tag is not a hard-and-fast rule, it is a good guide as to the preferred spelling. If there was anyway of indicating this in an entry would have to be left to Paul to advise. BHM's recent suggestion seems commendable.
Antwort: 
Description of "[Br.]" changed to "(esp.) British English"  #877325
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-28, 12:37  like dislike  Spam?  
All our linguistic tags are intended to be understood in the broadest possible way. I changed the description of "[Br.]" to "(esp.) British English" as discussed in #865408 to make this clearer.

I think, terms that exist in both "s" and "z" spelling with no difference in meaning, belong to the general rule of the "s" spelling being predominantly British. If that understanding is incorrect, please tell me.

Wikipedia quotes:
"American spelling avoids '-ise' endings [...]"
"British spelling mostly uses '-ise', while '-ize' is also used [...]"

Because this is really only one linguistic rule, I think it would be better to also have only one style of tagging to represent it. And that, so far, has been tagging "-ise" spellings as "[Br.]".
Antwort: 
Paul: Bin damit zufrieden ... [Br.] (esp.) British English wie in den GL  #877351
von Wenz (DE), 2017-08-28, 16:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Damit hat der Schreiber eine wichtige Information und weiß, daß er mit diesem Tag auf der sicheren Seite ist ("Anwendungsgebiet/Ländergebiet"). Wir haben ja noch mehr Problemfälle, der nächste wird tumour sein ... und somit ist auch dieses Problem gelöst: chiefly British spelling of Tumor
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tumour
Desweiteren möchte ich noch auf das voll im Vormarsch befindliche Simplified Technical English verweisen. So wie ich die "Anweisungen für CT, MR usw." kenne, ist Am.-spelling zu verwenden, die Datenbanken/Memory Systeme müssen in sich geschlossen angefüllt werden - also für den Technical Writer ist diese Kennung eine unschätzbare Hilfe, er wird dann den (esp.) Br.-Tag nicht verwenden.
---
Sicher bin ich allerdings nicht, ob die Ergänzung (esp.) American English notwendig ist.
Danke!
Antwort: 
Wikipedia ist zweifelhaft  #877358
von teadrinker (AT/DE), 2017-08-28, 18:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Gibt es keine andere Quelle als Wikipedia, um die Aussage von geo255 inkl. der vielen Zustimmungen von anderen zu widerlegen?

"there is no hard and fast rule about British vs American noun suffixes."

Für mich ist Wikipedia keine zuverlässige Quelle.
Antwort: 
teadrinker: Unter #877300 findest Du in den Wikip. unten   #877360
von Wenz (DE), 2017-08-28, 18:30  like dislike  Spam?  
References, Bibliography und andere externe Links.
Dort kannst Du Dich sachkundig machen. Viel Spaß!
Antwort: 
Oxford Dictionaries  #877363
von teadrinker (AT/DE), 2017-08-28, 18:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Wenn ich unter der Wikipedia Quelle "Oxford Dictionaries" lese, dann widerspricht dies deutlich der Annahme, dass man die Endungen der Substantive in "-ise" generell für Britisches Englisches festlegen kann.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/ize-or-ise/

Zitat
The dictionary on the UK/World side of our website gives alternative ‘-ise’ spellings at the main entries for all ‘-ize’ words where it’s appropriate. In British English, it doesn’t matter which spelling convention is chosen: neither is right or wrong, and neither is ‘more right’ than the other. The important thing is that, whichever form you choose, you should use it consistently within a piece of writing.

Ich verstehe in diesem Zusammenhang nicht, warum nun überhaupt noch "[Br.]" eintragen wird, wenn beides gleich richtig ist. Zumindest sollte diese Feststellung von Oxford Dictionaries nun richtig sein. Für Lernende von Englisch ergibt sich dadurch die Schwierigkeit, dass sie nun meinen, für England die Schreibweise mit "-ise" anstelle von "-ize" verwenden zu müssen.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-28, 19:03  like dislike  Spam?  
Naja, nachdem es keine allgemeingültige "amtliche" Regelung für die englische Sprache gibt, kann man das durchaus so sehen, dass es keine "hard and fast rule" gibt, aber allgemeine Konventionen gibt es trotzdem. Dass die Schreibweise mit "s" überwiegend British ist, sehe ich als erwiesen an.
Die Zustimmungen hier relativieren sich, wenn man auch die Vorgängerdiskussionen, z. B. #865408 mitbetrachtet.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-28, 19:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Zu http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/ize-or-ise/: Und genau der Satz über dem zitierten endet mit:
"[...] is perhaps one of the reasons that –ise spellings were adopted more widely in British English."
Antwort: 
GL  #877375
von Wenz (DE), 2017-08-28, 20:59  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Paul:
Bisher habe ich die Ländertags so verstanden, daß sie nicht an eine spv. = spelling variant (less common) gebunden ist. Wenn dem so ist, dann sollte in den GL ein Zusatz angebracht werden. Das nächste Problem haben wir ja bei chloritisation - siehe Comment geo255.
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1369547
Ich kenn zwar nicht alle anderen DE-xx oder EN-xx dicts super genau, aber das geo255-Argument der Vergabe von spv. wie oben beschrieben ist mir noch nicht aufgefallen. Wird verstanden was ich meine?
Antwort: 
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1369547  #877379
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-28, 21:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Zu diesem Beispiel ("chloritisation [Br.] [Am. spv for: chloritization]"): Es gibt eine allgemeine Regel: "s"-Schreibweise typischerweise britisch, "z"-Schreibweise typischerweise amerikanisch. Diese allgemeingültige Regel in jedem einzelnen Eintrag zu verpacken und ihn damit auf das Doppelte aufzublähen, finde ich kontraproduktiv. Der Verlust an Übersicht macht deutlich mehr aus, als der Gewinn an Information. Außerdem muss man als Nutzer die Information in den Klammern erst einmal entschlüsseln und verstehen, nur um draufzukommen, dass damit etwas gemeint ist, was man ohnehin schon weiß.
Antwort: 
Paul, es geht um den Comment 19:43 - das meine ich.  #877381
von Wenz (DE), 2017-08-28, 22:03  like dislike  Spam?  
Aber geo255 argumentiert mit der Häufigkeit (nicht mit der BE/AE issue):
4;Wenz: the issue of 'spv' has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the BE/AE issue. It is based on an Ngram which shows almost no occurrences of 'chloritisation'. On the other hand, 'chloritization' shows more activity, so it can not be said this is due to the specialized nature of this vocabulary. 'Chloritisation' is a far less common version than 'chloritization'.
Antwort: 
About this Ngram tool mentioned  #877383
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-28, 22:04  like dislike  Spam?  
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=chloritization%2C+chl...

I just took 5 random terms from our vocabulary and tested them:

acclimatization,acclimatisation
achromatization,achromatisation
vaporization,vaporisation
vectorization,vectorisation
urbanization,urbanisation

They all show the same distribution in usage, so perfectly in line with the other terms that I was really surprised. So this would apply to all such entries, meaning all of the existing entries would have to be reopened and changed. I don't think that's a good idea.
Antwort: 
Paul  #877385
von geo255 (US), Last modified: 2017-08-28, 22:45  like dislike  Spam?  
I just looked at acclimatization/acclimatisation vs vaporization/vaporization.  Yes, the 's' version gets less ghits than the 'z' version, but there is a big difference: 'vaporisation' is almost at 0% and ' acclimatisation' is well above that.  

I would only use the spv tag on RARE spelling versions.  Otherwise, we have the 'also:'/'auch:' alternative spelling alternative which we put in square brackets.

Certainly this is a judgment call but to say they all show the same distribution and would require massive reopens does not reflect IMHO the situation.  

What we need is for a clarified system that enables verification without all this unnecessary argumentation (which is not only unproductive but can easily create ill feelings).

Regarding the Br./Am. tag, I propose removing them.  All tags that are "Br' and "esp Br' should be converted to a '[1]' and 'Am'. and 'esp. Am.' tags be converted to a '[2]'.  With mouseovers and at appropriate points in the GL and elsewhere, an explanation like "[1] means more common in Britain" and "[2] means more common in the US".

Further numbers would satisfy Indian, Irish, Canadian, etc. usages.

'Spv' should be used for RARE spelling variants and the 'also/auch' pair for simply less common spelling.

Certainly this isn't the only option but we need to come together on some plan.  And **SOON** please!!
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-28, 23:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Sorry, but I don't agree. All of the examples have the "z" spelling percentage at least 3 times as high as the "s" spelling, most of them much more. The term "achromatisation" is a lot closer to zero than "chloritisation". The term "almost zero" could also apply to "chloritization" at 0.000001%. What counts is the difference in usage, and in that regard the term "chloritisation" is not an exception compared to the five random terms I checked.

It could easily be possible that Google has a lot of American books scanned and not so many British books, considering Google is an American company. If they would have more British books, the distribution would be different. Considering that, I really doubt the meaningfulness of the given data for this question at all.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-28, 23:36  like dislike  Spam?  
I get a lot of user feedback by e-mail every day, also complaints, about all aspects of dict.cc, including translation entries and tags. But the tagging of Br./Am. spelling of s/z as we've been using it since 2002 has never been a problem. Removing these tags in favor of tags that need to be looked up each time is not an option.
Antwort: 
[Br.]  #877399
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2017-08-29, 07:49  like dislike  Spam?  
In words where both -ise and ize endings are used wherever, -ise and only -ise is correct in Australian English. That is the way it has been taught in schools from the 1930s and still is, as far as I know. If a lot of "Australians" use -ize, it is largely because there are so many migrants who have not been through the Australian education system. What - if anything - dict does about this does not matter much, but that is the way it is.  » Edit
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2017-08-29, 11:42  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.119...
4; Paul. In ngram kann man nach British English und American English bei der Suche unterscheiden. (oben im Kästchen).
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-29, 11:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Danke, Uffiee!
Antwort: 
geo255  #877433
von BHM (DE), 2017-08-29, 14:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Using Ngram has its specific problems. A general count is not very relevant. A specific one, however, is. When you take 'ionisation,ionization' and search for AE you get hardly any ionisation hits, when you search for BE the situation is totally different.
It's still more revealing when you do the same two searches for 'chloritisation,chloritization'. For AE chloritisation doesn't show up at all, whereas for BE you find even a few years where the -isation form outdoes the -ization one..
It doesn't matter which -isation/-ization words you look up, for AE the British form is rare, for BE it's not. Hence it would be reasonable to tag it as [Br.]. However, even when doing a BE search the -ization will get the majority of hits. Let's say, in certain respects AE turns out to be the modern lingua franca, replacing BE.
I can even envision a time when the -isation ones will be marked as [obsolete].
Antwort: 
BHM und Paul  #877447
von Wenz (DE), 2017-08-29, 16:52  like dislike  Spam?  
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=1369547
BHM, warum denn [esp. Br.]? Die Paul'sche Hochrüstung lautet doch "(esp.) British English". Oder müssen wir jetzt schon wieder von Fall zu Fall unterscheiden, Paul?
Antwort: 
Wenz  #877478
von BHM (DE), 2017-08-29, 21:41  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich habe das ursprüngliche Br. wieder eingesetzt. Meine Gründe habe ich in dem Dir vorangehenden Beitrag angeführt. Komplizierte Zusätze brauchen wir nicht.
Mag sein, dass die geringe Anzahl von s-Schreibungen im AE von Briten, Kanadiern, Australiern etc. stammt. D.h., im AE einheitlich die z-Schreibung benutzt wird.
Antwort: 
Danke BHM! Ich habe es gerade gesehen.  #877481
von Wenz (DE), Last modified: 2017-08-29, 21:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich bin auch der Meinung, daß ein zusätzliches esp. wegfallen sollte.
Antwort: 
Bitte einfach [Br.] wie gehabt!  #877483
von Paul (AT), 2017-08-29, 21:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Sorry, aber wie gesagt, ich sehe hier keine Ausnahme von der allgemeinen Regel, dass die "s"-Schreibweise überwiegend britisch ist. Die Ngram-Angabe liegt innerhalb der Schwankungsbreite der anderen Beispiele, die bei dict.cc auch so markiert sind.
Antwort: 
Danke Paul! Hoffentlich hat dieser Spuk bald ein Ende - das halten meine Nerven nicht mehr aus.  #877489
von Wenz (DE), 2017-08-29, 22:28  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Wenz  #877493
von Catesse (AU), 2017-08-30, 05:38  like dislike  Spam?  
I reached that point a long time ago. And not just in this case.
Antwort: 
von xn (GB), 2017-09-16, 00:58  like dislike  Spam?  
ization has always looked like a joke to me. I even pronounce it, for example, 'recognized' - recagneeeezud because it just looks like a mistake, but yes - ize is mainly American, but it can officially be used in the UK, and is, therefore the label may not be necessary. Neighbor in the UK would be completely wrong though. Ization definitely isn't :closer to old English '- realise comes from French réaliser, which ultimately derives from Latin. Ization is some creation. If an ize term has more results on ngram that would be because most English speakers come from America demographically

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung