Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   FI   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Übersetzung »
« Translation zu gerne mal wissen wollen warum    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Alive  
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2017-10-04, 14:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Hi, the word "alive" as an adverb does not seem to appear in dict. Would the following options for "to make it out of something alive" (e.g. out of a burning building) be correct?

1. es lebend hinaus schaffen
2. es lebendig hinaus schaffen
3. ins Freie lebend gelangen
4. ins Freie lebendig gelangen
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2017-10-04, 15:46  like dislike  Spam?  
I'm not exactly sure why, but none of the four German phrases sound right. It's possible that the German more clearly points out the logic flaw in the phrase, that is, if you make it out of something, you would have to be alive.

Not sure if 'alive' in this phrase is an adverb. I always thought that 'to make it out alive' is simply short for 'to make it out and be still alive.' The 'alive' forced into adverbial use, so to speak.
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2017-10-04, 15:46  like dislike  Spam?  
I suppose in English the contrast is between making it out alive, being brought out dead and not getting out at all (body never recovered).
Btw, I didn't look for very long, but I was unable to find any sense of "make out" or "make it" in a monolingual dictionary that had the meaning of "make it out alive". If someone can come up with a workable translation, I reckon "to make it out (of somewhere)" and "to make it out (of somewhere) alive" would be useful entries in the dict.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2017-10-04, 16:14  like dislike  Spam?  
"Make it out of sth." means to escape from something, generally by your own efforts. There can be assistance, but the main actor is the person who made it out of sth. alive. For the German, I would look towards the noun Leben, as in mit dem Leben davonkommen. It's not exactly the same as "make it out alive," but it could work in many contexts. It says nothing about who made the effort unless there's something like ich schaffte es....
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-10-04, 16:17  like dislike  Spam?  
That sounds good. I haven't really thought about exactly what "make it out alive" means before (and I couldn't find a dictionary definition to help), but on reflection, I think the "alive" in "make it out alive" stresses that it was a perilous situation with potential for loss of life, whereas "make it out" is a phrase you could use in circumstances where there's no question of loss of life, e.g. I missed the bus this morning because I didn't make it out of the house in time. Katy got trapped in a collapsing bouncy castle, she made it out by pushing it off her a bit at a time and wiggling through.
There was an explosion at my friend's factory, but he made it out (alive).
Antwort: 
von uffiee, 2017-10-04, 16:23  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.119...
to make it out alive - noch einmal mit dem Leben davonkommen
Antwort: 
von Sommersunnendroom, 2017-10-04, 19:53  like dislike  Spam?  84.189.60...
For the distinction: Both "lebend" and "lebendig" can mean alive or living, but "lebendig" can also have the meaning of lively.

The word order for 3. and 4. should be "lebend(ig) ins Freie". If you google the phrases, the first hits are curiously about people taking spiders outside.

For 1. and 2. depending on the direction (out of the house or into the open), it is "heraus" or "hinaus".
Chat:     
Thank you all  #880118
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2017-10-04, 21:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
heraus: http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/heraus hinaus: http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/hinaus  #880121
von Proteus-, 2017-10-05, 00:37  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.53...
Wer im Haus ist, kann aus dem Haus hinaus aber nicht heraus gehen.

Wer im Garten ist, kann jemanden (aus dem Haus) herauskommen aber nicht hinauskommen sehen.
Antwort: 
Er / sie / es konnte durch die Flucht sein / ihr Leben retten.  #880122
von Proteus-, 2017-10-05, 00:47  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.53...
Chat:     
hinaus / heraus  #880124
von lifo, 2017-10-05, 07:32  like dislike  Spam?  213.168.73....
Es kann auch dieselbe Person sein, die im brennenden Haus stehend "Ich schaffe es hinaus!" sagt und dann später im Garten ausruft: "Ich habe es gerade noch heraus geschafft!" Allerdings fürchte ich, dass man unweigerlich brutzelt, wenn man in der Situation über grammatikalische Probleme nachdenkt.
Chat:     
von timfefe (AU/AT), Last modified: 2017-10-05, 13:02  like dislike  Spam?  
4; Proteus & lifo

As the title of this thread strongly suggests, my question was about the usage of "alive" in German.

The issue of hinaus vs. heraus, hinein vs. herein, hinauf vs. herauf etc. is a rather basic concept in German and quite clear to me.

Thank you for your replies anyway.
Chat:     
Deutschsprachige verwenden heraus / hinaus aber gar nicht immer richtig  #880131
von Proteus-, 2017-10-05, 13:43  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.127....
Selbst in der bairisch-österreichischen Umgangssprache geht die Untescheidung immer häufiger flöten:

Google: außa außi

Analog: https://www.bayrisches-woerterbuch.de/buchstabe-a/
           https://www.bayrisches-woerterbuch.de/auffi/
Google: auffa auffi
Chat:     
Korrektur: UnteRscheidung  #880132
von Proteus-, 2017-10-05, 14:21  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.127....

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten