Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 site of operation vs. application site »
« state-of-the-art of cardiology??    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
is this correct?  
von heike48 (DE), 2017-11-01, 16:57  like dislike  Spam?  
I have heard of your adversity.
How did this happen?
I hope you are fit again soon and can
appear again to teach.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-11-01, 17:43  like dislike  Spam?  
"your adversity" sounds strange.
These are a few general sentences that would probably not be offensive in most situations:
I heard about your accident/illness.
Are you OK?
I hope you get better soon.
Chat:     
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2017-11-01, 18:05  like dislike  Spam?  
1. The utterance "Are you OK?" is extremely common in Australia. I have always found it cheap, insincere, a lip service to the situation.
2. The sentences "Are you OK?" and "I hope you get better soon." don't quite agree with each other.
3. If the other person's mishap was a serious accident, the question "Are you OK?" can be interpreted as a mockery (albeit unintended).
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2017-11-01, 18:31  like dislike  Spam?  
4;timfefe, what do you prefer instead of "Are you OK?" and "I hope you get better soon"?
I rather like these empathy cards: https://www.notanotherbunchofflowers.com/collections/get-well-cards
But they're not for everyone and some people are more comfortable with a more standard approach.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2017-11-01, 20:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Rather than asking if someone is ok when you are pretty sure they are not, you can ask "How are you doing?" It's not necessary though.  The important point is to say that you hope the person will be better soon.  What you said is fine.  "I hope you are fit again soon and can return to teaching" sounds better to me, but your similar sentence is not technically wrong.  It just sounds slightly awkward.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-11-01, 20:59  like dislike  Spam?  
"Are you OK?" can be a welcome demonstration of empathy. If I crash with my bicycle and a stranger says that, there's nothing cheap or insincere about that question. In fact, "How are you doing?" would be a cruel mockery in such an instance. Just saying.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2017-11-01, 23:03  like dislike  Spam?  
I was assuming that we were talking about a letter / email.  Yes, of course if someone falls in front of you or you see them lying on the ground, the first question to ask is "Are you ok?" or "Are you all right?"  This is very important from a practical standpoint, so that you can immediately call for help if needed.  Most  people who are conscious will also appreciate it if it the question is asked  with empathy.  "ok" has the advantage that it is usually easily understood regardless of any accent the speaker may have.
Chat:     
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2017-11-01, 23:42  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree with aphoenix. If someone has just had an accident (as in Michael’s bike crash example) and you want to ascertain that they are ok, the question “Are you OK?” is entirely appropriate, even welcome.

However, in the situation presented in the O-Post by heike48, it’s quite clear to the person sending this note or email that the recipient is NOT OK. Under that scenario, asking “Are you OK?” is IMHO insincere, inappropriate.
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2017-11-02, 01:02  like dislike  Spam?  
Fearing the person in adversity might take offense is, in my view, seriously overthinking one's writing. The person would understand "are you OK"  to mean "can you deal with this yourself or do you need help?" I would.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-11-02, 09:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Michael's interpretation of "are you OK?" is the same as mine.
Chat:     
Yes, sure.  #881526
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2017-11-02, 15:14  like dislike  Spam?  
So next time an acquaintance of yours lies in a hospital bed, head to toe in bandages, two limbs tied to a ceiling hoist, you just send him or her a note: "Are you OK?"
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-11-02, 18:43  like dislike  Spam?  
timfefe, I have to agree that under those painful circumstances, a curt  'Are you OK?' wouldn't do. But looking at heike48's post, the circumstances appear to be very different from the ones you made up for your 15:14.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten