Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 hall pass »
« dating    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
adjective placing  
von nigilmaadhust (UN), 2017-12-05, 16:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Hallo Forum,

I don't know, how to write the second English sentence in German. Could you please help?

1. Are all currencies valid in Europe? -> Sind alle Währungen in Europa gültig?

2. Are all currencies in Europe valid? -> Sind alle Währungen gültig in Europa?

Many thanks in advance!
Antwort: 
von edeniz (AT), 2017-12-05, 17:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Correct translations:

1. Are all currencies valid in Europe? -> Sind alle Währungen gültig in Europa?

2. Are all currencies in Europe valid? -> Sind alle Währungen in Europa gültig?

Basically your translations were correct, just mixed up. Otherwise I see no problems with them. You know how it is: word placement influences meaning due to context. The question is what your context is. What is the sentence supposed to ask? That defines which of these two sentences are better used for whatever you had in mind.
Antwort: 
Hello edeniz, thanks a lot!  #883355
von nigilmaadhust (UN), Last modified: 2017-12-05, 17:16  like dislike  Spam?  
I thought that in German "adjective" should only be placed at the end of the sentence.

For example,

1) Es ist für uns möglich.
2) Es ist möglich für uns.

Here sentence 2 is not correct (pardon my guess!).

I read many German sentences that have had the adjectives only at the end of the sentence. So I guessed,
"Sind alle Währungen gültig in Europa" was wrong, because the adjective "gültig" was not in the last place.

Could you please explain? Many thanks in advance.
Antwort: 
von edeniz (AT), Last modified: 2017-12-05, 18:42  like dislike  Spam?  
I think you're confusing something. Adjectives in German are used as:

1) an attribute (e.g. Er ist ein guter Sänger. -- He is a good singer.)
2) adverbially (e.g. Er singt gut. -- He sings good. or: Das ist ein schönes rotes Auto. -- This is a beautiful red car.)

Your second example does not fit with the first, if you take a look. "Uns" means "us" and is a pronoun, not an adjective. Strictly speaking the best sentence for your second example would be "Es ist uns möglich", but even then I wouldn't say the second choice is wrong or unused. It's just not like the contrast of "It's for us possible" and "It's possible for us" in English.

An example to better explain:

Q: Schmeckt euch das Essen?  
A: Ja, es schmeckt uns.

This is a grammatically correct answer, there is no problem with the pronoun being at the end. It's a matter of declination. Basically there is no hard and fast rule that says "all adjectives or pronouns have to be placed here", we can't make such a sweeping statement, simply because it's all a matter dependant on context, sentence structure, and the necessary declinations.

As for what I meant with context. Regarding your first example with the currencies: The first sentence questions the validity of all currencies in Europa, in the sense of, "Perhaps the currency of this non-European country is not valid over there?". The second sentence implies that there is the possibility that one or more European country currency is not valid wherever or for whatever reason. And all this simply because of the word-placement differences.

Basically: is it true that sometimes adjectives are at the end of a sentence? Yes. E.g.: "Diese Blume ist schön." But I could just as easily use such a sentence: "Das ist eine schöne Blume."

Just...adjectives need to be placed in relation to a noun, the placement itself is dependent on what sort of sentence structure you want to have. (And yes, they need to be declined just as the noun they are relating to are, such as: "Ich habe einen schönen roten Mantel." -- 4th case, accusative case in this example.)

I'm not explaining this as smoothly as I would want, but maybe it's a bit in the right direction? Let me know which part of my explanation attempt was more confusing and I'll attempt to smooth it out a bit more.
Antwort: 
Hallo edeniz, guten Tag!  #883375
von nigilmaadhust (UN), 2017-12-06, 07:10  like dislike  Spam?  
I read your explanation. I have prepared some examples in this regard. The adjective placing at the end -

Please explain, which one is standard German

1) Ich bin für SAP-Workflow zuständig.
oder
2) Ich bin zuständig für SAP-Workflow.

3) Die Datei ist von dem Scanner lesbar.
oder
4) Die Datei ist lesbar von dem Scanner.

Many thanks and have a nice day!

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung