Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   SK   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   ES   IS   RU   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Oops! »
« wird von säkularen wie spirituellen Fundamental...    

English-German Translation of
Typos Misspellings

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Typos, Misspellings  
von aphoenix (US), 2017-12-07, 23:49  like dislike  Spam?  
Here's good example of why one cannot blindly trust the Internet or dictionaries that draw terms from it.  I mistyped "splash" and :Linguee obligingly provided me with a set of 7 entries for "spash"..  5 of the 7 entries are instances of "splash" misspelled as "spash" The other two instances are acronyms.  .("Spash" is not a word.)
https://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?source=auto&quer...;
Chat:     
von xn (GB), Last modified: 2017-12-08, 07:44  like dislike  Spam?  
I only recommend the use of linguee if you have an advanced knowledge of both languages, and want to look up a sentence or phrased that cannot be condensed into search term found on other dictionaries. Although at least Begrüßungsbildschirm is correct.
Chat:     
xn is right. Linguee has to be used very carefully. That's the reason why we usually do not accept Linguee as the only source of a translation.  #883509
von parker11 (DE), Last modified: 2017-12-08, 08:35  like dislike  Spam?  
I checked your link. Pls note the yellow warning signs at the beginning of ALL examples. All Linguee entries with that warning sign are NOT doublechecked by any human. These entries may give you a general idea of a translation, but they are not verified by anybody, typos and misspellings included.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2017-12-08, 12:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Actually, my point was not about Linguee, but rather was intended as a caution against claiming that if a (mis)spelling can be found multiple times on the Internet, it must be legitimate.  Blogs, websites created by volunteers, and even newspapers are not necessarily reviewed for accuracy, nor revised when errors are found.  The web offers equal opportunity to both the educated and the uneducated, good spellers and bad, the careful and the careless.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-12-08, 13:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Well, for all intensive purposes, spelling matters little if the reader understands what is meant. Bad spelling doesn't phase me one bit.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2017-12-08, 14:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, very funny MichaelK.  In a novel, spelling may not matter.  In news or research it may matter a lot.  A friend of mine was very frustrated studying a description in a Physics textbook because he could not figure out what was breaking  It turned out the word should have been "braking".  More importantly, if one word in a paragraph is misspelled, the meaning may be clear.  However, when every other word is misspelled it can become difficult to follow a sentence.   This is the outcome we see in college students who passed through elementary, middle, and high school without anyone caring about their spelling.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-12-08, 14:27  like dislike  Spam?  
4;aphoenix: I was indeed trying to be funny (two eggcorns in one post). Spelling does matter.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2017-12-08, 14:38  like dislike  Spam?  
I realized after I hit send and thought more about your sentences, that the other reason spelling matters is that there are pairs of accents, among native speakers of English, that are mutually nearly unintelligible.  Phonetic spellings by people whose accents don't match one's own can be quite puzzling.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2017-12-08, 15:01  like dislike  Spam?  
True that, aphoenix. On a personal note: I think correct spelling is a constant in a rapidly changing world, and that appeals to me. I'm also a casual amateur astronomer, probably for the same reason. The constellations never change.
Chat:     
von yasm, 2017-12-09, 09:12  like dislike  Spam?  46.90.159...
Of course, constellations do change. In the blink of an eye (i.e. 100,000 years) everything looks different.

https://universe2go.com/en/sky-in-100000-years/
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-12-09, 10:58  like dislike  Spam?  
By golly, yasm, you're right! I thought Orion looked a little different this morning than it did the day before. I'll notify the authorities.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung