Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...


Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 es lebe... »
« freigebende    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
"game pass"  
von aphoenix (US), 2017-12-17, 12:15  like dislike  Spam?

Does "game pass" for Wildwechsel sound familiar to anyone?  It doesn't sound like AE to me, but I'm not sure whether it is BE or whether it is specific to a subset of BE.
von andykelp (GB), Last modified: 2017-12-17, 12:31  like dislike  Spam?  
It isn't a phrase used in Britain.  Where animals are a risk to cars, there is usually a sign with a picture of the animal - usually a deer - and we'd refer to it as a 'deer crossing'.
It doesn't look like it's BE:  #884060
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2017-12-17, 12:39  like dislike  Spam?  
Google: "game pass" deer site:uk -nfl

There's one hit with the meaning 'a route wild animals use':
and that was written by Theodore Roosevelt.

There's somewhere in South Africa called Game Pass Shelter, with rock art Google: "game pass shelter"

Pass can mean a route over or through mountains, but obviously that isn't very useful for most of the UK ;-)

I don't know what either meaning of Wildwechsel is in English - the route taken or the act of using the route - but I think it's more likely to use (wild) animal or the particular animal itself, rather than game.
von MichaelK (US), 2017-12-17, 12:58  like dislike  Spam?  
It's possible that "game pass" is in error for "game path." There's also a Fassbinder movie called Wildwechsel. It was given the English title "Game Pass," which was quickly changed to "Jail Bait."  I think in that movie there's a murder in the woods on a game path, but I can't be sure.
von Windfall (GB), 2017-12-17, 13:20  like dislike  Spam?  
I'm not sure what we'd call the "pass" part. "Path" maybe. But the "game" part of it seems unlikely. We tend to call wildlife "game" when we're talking about shooting or eating it, otherwise I think "wildlife" or "animals" (or "birds" or "fish" etc. if applicable) tends to be the more common term.
von MichaelK (US), 2017-12-17, 13:47  like dislike  Spam?  
Well, the 'game path' exists, especially in hunter's language. And it's pretty much a Wildwechsel in its definition of the path that game takes to move from one area to another, like from a rest area to a foraging area.

The 'pass' may have been coined by people who only thought about roads and traffic and probably have never hunted game. They may not even know that there are game paths through woods and fields.
von Windfall (GB), 2017-12-17, 14:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, Michael, I hadn't picked up on the fact this related to hunting. I should have done from the "Wild" I guess.
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2017-12-17, 16:34  like dislike  Spam?  
Windfall,  since 'game' refers to 'animals hunted for game or sport,' the term  'game path' is indeed connected to hunting. But animals not hunted for food or sport use these paths as well.

Besides the mispronunciation of 'game path,'  the 'game pass' could also be a made-up word based on the notion of animals crossing the road--'passing in front of you,' so to speak. Just guessing, though. In the U.S., that action is called 'crossing,' like in the 'Deer Crossing' signs.
von Windfall (GB), 2017-12-17, 16:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, we call the action of animals crossing a road "crossing" as well. It's a bit confusing in British English at least, because we also call the places where people cross a "crossing", e.g. "level crossing", "pelican crossing" and "zebra crossing". Do you have the latter two in the US? Confusingly for anyone who doesn't have them, only humans (and their pets) cross there, no actual zebras or pelicans are ever present.
von den "Kaiserlauternen Amis": Guide to Hunting in Germany  #884081
von Wenz (DE), 2017-12-17, 17:37  like dislike  Spam?
Ich sollte die Terminologie, die wir noch nicht haben, eingeben.
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2017-12-18, 02:10  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Windfall: 'Pelican crossing' is new to me. I've heard 'zebra crossing' in the U.S., but it's rarely used here in Virginia. I think use of these terms depends on what the individual U.S. states call their traffic furniture. As you probably know, each U.S. state writes its own traffic laws and regulations.

The definition of 'game' is well-known to most Americans (even if they don't hunt) because of 'game wardens.' These are state officials who enforce hunting regulations. There are also 'fish and game commissions,' which are state agencies regulating fishing and hunting.

4;Wenz: Great find!
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2017-12-18, 00:46  like dislike  Spam?  
Seeing no support for "game pass", I reopened the two entries as "game path" and "game paths".  
In the US we call the place where pedestrian cross a "pedestrian crossing" or  a "cross walk".  A level crossing is where a train crosses the road. Google  AFAIK the term pelican crossing is not used here, though actual pelicans are common in the states bordering the Gulf of Mexico .
von ohno, 2017-12-18, 09:46  like dislike  Spam?  78.34.246....
von Windfall (GB), 2017-12-18, 10:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, aphoenix. A level crossing is also where the train crosses in the UK. We also call pelican crossings pedestrian crossings, but we don't use the term cross walk.
4;ohno, I'd never heard of puffin crossings. Having read the description, I've realised I've crossed on them many times, but had always thought they were just a more irritating version of the standard pelican crossing and had presumed they must be cheaper to install because they were certainly less good from my perspective. I hope that the change in position of the lights genuinely is an improvement for the visually impaired, like Wikipedia says, so that someone else is gaining more in usefulness than I am in irritation. They are going to be difficult to put in the dict, as they seem to be a UK-invented concept that will require a description rather than a translation unless a German speaking country has invented the same. For general purposes, they could simply be referred to as a Fußgängerüberweg
von ohno, 2017-12-18, 11:04  like dislike  Spam?  78.34.246....
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2017-12-18, 11:16  like dislike  Spam?  
4;ohno, this sounds like a bit of pointless fun for council members. Before introducing a pedestrian crossing that cycles can be ridden across and giving it a separate name that no one outside town planning uses, they should probably have started a campaign to ensure people realised they weren't supposed to ride their bikes across other pedestrian crossings. I'm currently going with:
pedestrian crossing - a word all Brits will understand for a crossing with traffic lights. This word is safe to use for all such crossings
pelican crossing - a word most Brits will understand for a crossing with traffic lights, but which now seems to have been restricted to the original style of crossing, so is no longer safe to use for any crossing at traffic lights
puffin crossing - a name that has been invented for a slight variation on the pelican crossing, but with sufficiently little publicity that I was not aware of the name or the distinction, so was calling these pelican crossings too. This is pretty likely to be widespread in the population.
toucan crossing - see puffin crossing
pegasus crossing - see puffin crossing

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten