|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 far cry »
« Oberschlepper    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
wurden ihr  
von nitram (GB), 2018-04-20, 01:34  like dislike  Spam?  
Weil sie so blass war, wurden ihr Vitamintabletten und mehr Ruhe verschrieben.

In my German class we had to fill in the gaps 'blass' and 'verschrieben', but the more I looked at the sentence the more I thought 'wurden' should have been 'wurde', but actually both are correct.

With 'wurden' it translates as "Because she was so pale, vitamin tablets and more rest were prescribed (for) her."
With 'wurde' it translates as "Because she was so pale, she was prescribed vitamin tablets and more rest."

However with the "wurden" alternative, would it not be better (or worse or indifferent) to say ", wurden Vitamintabletten und mehr Ruhe ihr verschrieben."  ???
Antwort: 
Only "wurden" is correct. "wurde" would be wrong.  #889851
von parker11 (DE), Last modified: 2018-04-20, 04:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Das Objekt "Vitamintabletten und Ruhe" ist Plural, daher "wurden". "wurde" wäre auch falsch, wenn es nur Vitamintabletten gewesen wären (immer noch Plural).  "wurde" wäre auch falsch, wenn es nur
"1 Vitamintablette und Ruhe" gewesen wären (immer noch Plural). "wurde" wäre richtig, wenn es nur um
1 Vitamintablette oder nur um Ruhe ginge.

", wurden Vitamintabletten und mehr Ruhe ihr verschrieben." wouldn't be better or worse or indifferent, it would be simply wrong.
Chat:     
wurden ihr  #889857
von nitram (GB), 2018-04-20, 10:58  like dislike  Spam?  
All my grammar books say that because the indirect object of a verb cannot be the subject in a passive sentence, then you have to have a dummy subject "Es" which can be omitted . e.g.  "Es wurde ihr Vitamintabletten und mehr Ruhe verschrieben." or "Ihr wurde Vitamintabletten und mehr Ruhe verschrieben."

"Vitamintabletten und mehr Ruhe" are the grammatical direct object of the sentence and can have no influence on the verb.
Chat:     
Wrong. But why do you ask, if you know better anyway??  #889858
von parker11 (DE), Last modified: 2018-04-20, 11:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Es wurde ihr 1 Sache verschrieben.
Es wurden ihr mehrere Sachen verschrieben.

Simple as that. But of course you're free to believe in your books (if that's really what they are saying. I doubt it.).
Chat:     
von nitram (GB), 2018-04-20, 11:44  like dislike  Spam?  
I admit my books did not have a single example of plural direct objects combined with an indirect object, but you can see why the German grammar seems illogical, when 'es' is the dummy subject, you would thing the verb would always agree with it.
Antwort: 
Self delete  #889862
von parker11 (DE), Last modified: 2018-04-20, 13:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
"Weil sie so blass war, wurden ihr Vitamintabletten und mehr Ruhe verschrieben."  #889863
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2018-04-20, 13:54  like dislike  Spam?  
4;nitram
In the Satzteil
"..., wurden ihr Vitamintabletten und mehr Ruhe verschrieben"
the part "Vitamintabletten und mehr Ruhe" is the subject (Nominativ) of that Satzteil, not a direct object.
This is the general rule in DE: a direct object in an Aktivsatz becomes the subject in the Passivsatz. Example:
Aktivsatz: Die Eltern fragen den Jungen. "Den Jungen" is Akkusativobjekt.
Passivsatz: Der Junge wird von den Eltern gefragt. "Der Junge" is now the subject, and therefore Nominativ. Had it been a direct object, the sentence would have been "Den Jungen wird von den Eltern gefragt", which is wrong.

Also notice with a dummy "es":
He's missing one tooth: Es fehlt ihm ein Zahn.
He's missing two teeth: Es fehlen ihm zwei Zähne. The subject here is "zwei Zähne", therefore "fehlen" and not "fehlt" (one can also say "Ihm fehlen zwei Zähne", but this bypasses the issue).

I think all this has been discussed here before.
Antwort: 
wurden ihr  #889867
von nitram (GB), 2018-04-20, 15:03  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks for that. In another part of my book it explains that although
'es' is the  dummy subject, the 'real subject' governs the verb.
However does this mean in German that you can only say "The vitamin tablets were prescribed for her" (with the stress on the vitamin tablets) .. If you wanted to stress that 'she' was prescribed the vitamin tablets, how would you achieve that .e.g.   "She was prescribed vitamin tablets, he was prescribed Valium".
Antwort: 
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2018-04-20, 15:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Ihr wurden Blah-Blah-Tabletten verschrieben, ihm (oder: ihm demgegenüber) wurde XYZ-Medikament (verschrieben).
Chat:     
von nitram (GB), 2018-04-20, 16:39  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks for that. Your answer actually came to me while I was cleaning the lavatory. The stress is easier to make when you say the phrase rather than write it.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung