Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   SK   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   ES   IS   RU   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 make it a great day »
« Is the translation OK?    

English-German Translation of
sich einen schlanken

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
sich einen schlanken Fuß machen  
von Frank1234 (DE), 2018-05-28, 13:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Zur Redewendung ""sich einen schlanken Fuß machen" (untertauchen und keine Verantwortung übernehmen) gibt es noch keinen Eintrag. Gibt es bessere Übersetzungen als z.B. avoid responsibility?
Chat:     
von Sasso', 2018-05-28, 13:58  like dislike  Spam?  193.187.3...
Der Duden kennt diese Wendung nicht. Kannst du einige Beispielsätze zitieren?
Antwort: 
Google: "sich einen schlanken Fuß machen"  #891640
von goog1, 2018-05-28, 14:01  like dislike  Spam?  87.183.239...
Antwort: 
von Frank1234 (DE), Last modified: 2018-05-28, 14:02  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 14:48  like dislike  Spam?  
What about "shirk responsibility" Google: shirk responsibility
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 15:05  like dislike  Spam?  
"to scarper" might also work in some circumstances, where it is clear from the context that the reason someone has scarpered is because they are shirking responisbility.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/scarper
Chat:     
von anonymous1, 2018-05-28, 15:09  like dislike  Spam?  70.161.250...
If something has already occurred, the person not wanting to take responsibility for it "would wash his hands of it." The "to shirk responsibility" conveys the meaning, but is not an idiom. Translators pressed for time could find it useful.
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-05-28, 15:15  like dislike  Spam?  
Noch nie gehört.
Antwort: 
von Dracs (DE), 2018-05-28, 15:17  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 15:19  like dislike  Spam?  
4;anonymous1, I understand washing your hands of something to mean that you were previously involved (and had responsibility), but now you refuse any further involvement or responsibility, whereas I get the impression that with "sich einen schlanken Fuß machen" involves avoiding taking any responsibility right from the start.
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/wash+hands+of
wash (one's) hands of (someone or something)
1. To absolve oneself of or distance oneself from responsibility for something. I don't want to be part of this scheme any more. I wash my hands of it.
2. To renounce, abandon, or distance oneself from someone or something. The director famously hated the final cut of the movie and has washed his hands of it, even going so far as to remove his name from the project. I'm afraid that if I tell my parents what I've done, they will wash their hands of me.
See also: hand, of, wash
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
wash one's hands of someone or something
Fig. to end one's association with someone or something. (Fig. on the notion of getting rid of a problem by removing it as if it were dirt on the hands.) I washed my hands of Tom. I wanted no more to do with him. That car was a real headache. I washed my hands of it long ago.
Although some dictionaries do simply say "refuse to accept responsibility", I always read it as "refusing to take responsibility any more"
Antwort: 
Maybe: cut and run  #891654
von callixte (US), Last modified: 2018-05-28, 16:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Wikipedia(EN): Cut_and_run

Nov 26, 2006 - It's troublesome to watch politicians cut and run from this issue, but even more troublesome to realize that many of us expect the United States ...  https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/125917342/
Antwort: 
Die erfragte Redewendung auf Deutsch paraphrasiert  #891655
von Proteus-, 2018-05-28, 16:03  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.4...
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 16:25  like dislike  Spam?  
"cut and run" also works in British English and is particularly good for the "verschwinden, wenn etwas Unangenehmes auftaucht" meaning.
Antwort: 
von anonymous1, 2018-05-28, 17:04  like dislike  Spam?  70.161.250...
4;Windfall: "Washing your hands of something" could work for refusing to take responsibility for something that has not yet occurred. It's even possible (but I'm guessing here) that the saying originated with the story of Pontius Pilate washing his hands in public before he condemned Christ to death.

I like 'cut and run,' but I think it has a wider scope than washing your hands. It can also suggest cowardice, or cleverly avoiding involvement in a failing scheme. I suppose sometimes sometimes there are no matching idioms, so you need to just put down the meaning and move on to the next sentence. He was knee-high to a grasshopper > Er war klein is certainly factual, but not an inspired translation.  :-)
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2018-05-28, 17:18  like dislike  Spam?  
4;anonymous1, with Pontius Pilate, he had responsibility for the trial and crucifixion of Jesus and then washed his hands of it. If German speakers agree that you could say "Pontius Pilatus machte sich einen schlanken Fuß" with regard to the crucifixion of Jesus, then I agree that this translation is reasonable in at least some cases. However, it appears a poor one-to-one match to me for the reasons I have explained above (it appears to work in the minority of cases, not in the majority).
I understand that it is important to you that the translation of an idiom should be with another idiom. Where possible, I agree that this is ideal. But sometimes languages don't work out that way and your only option is to translate the meaning without using an equivalent idiom.
If "cut and run" is entered in the dict as a translation of "sich einen schlanken Fuß machen", then that will need to be with disambiguation as the match is not perfect.
Chat:     
von anonymous1, 2018-05-28, 22:17  like dislike  Spam?  70.161.250...
Windfall, good comments and I agree with what you say.
Antwort: 
von Frank1234 (DE), 2018-05-29, 07:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Danke an alle!

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung