Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   IS   SV   NO   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 taps »
« Business Books    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
taps  
von Deseret (SI), 2018-06-03, 13:14  like dislike  Spam?  
What do taps mean in this word combination: "Taps at Reveille"?
Antwort: 
Taps is the tune usually played at the end of the day (or funerals),  #891949
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2018-06-03, 13:22  like dislike  Spam?  
but reveille is the morning, so perhaps the author means the wake up call.

Wikipedia(EN): Taps
Chat:     
Thank you  #891953
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2018-06-03, 15:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Maybe it's a figure of speech, called oxymoron, where two contradictory concepts are put together to create a stylistic effect. "Taps at Reveille" could be rephrased as "A farewell tune, played at the dawn of a day or at the wake-up hour"
Antwort: 
Possibly, but that would depend, as always, on context ;-)  #891955
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2018-06-03, 15:29  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von anonymous1 , 2018-06-03, 15:43  like dislike  Spam?  70.161.250...
If 'Taps at Reveille' is about the 1935 short story collection: It's not clear what F. Scott Fitzgerald meant when choosing this for his title. "Taps” is the bugle call to turn out the lights in army quarters and 'reveille,' as said above, is a military wake-up call. To some people, the title reflects Fitzgerald's struggle with writing at all. When inspiration awakens, something comes along to turn out the lights. I tend to agree,
Antwort: 
Ahh, I'd not heard of the F. Scott Fitzgerald collection.  #891964
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2018-06-03, 17:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von glhansen (UN), 2018-06-03, 17:35  like dislike  Spam?  
Taps is also played at funerals. I don't know what Fitzgerald had in mind, haven't read the collection, but the message might be "funeral at dawn".
Chat:     
von anonymous1 , 2018-06-03, 18:29  like dislike  Spam?  70.161.250...
Taps is also played at military funerals. As far as I can remember, there's nothing in the collection pointing to the interpretation of a dawn funeral. But who knows, Fitzgerald agonized for a long time over what to include in this collection and what to title it.

In a 1935 telegram to his publisher about this title, Fitzgerald wrote "Title seems increasingly meaningless. Old title invites disaster. Women couldn't pronounce and would find no interest." He proposed titles that would appeal to women and thus sell more books: "Golden Spoons," "Moonlight in my Eyes," " Last Night's Moon." His publisher thought otherwise.
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2018-06-03, 19:36  like dislike  Spam?  
"In a 1935 telegram to his publisher about this title, Fitzgerald wrote "Title seems increasingly meaningless."

Good! If Fitzgerald himself found his title meaningles, then I'm relieved about the fact that I can't make out any meaning of it either!
Chat:     
von anonymous1 , 2018-06-03, 20:55  like dislike  Spam?  70.161.250...
Fitzgerald liked opposites and oxymorons ( Intimate Strangers ). He also wrote a story about the reversal of time ( The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ), in which the protagonist is born as a 70-year old man and gets younger and younger as time goes on. So there's some sort of pattern here.

I need to correct my previous post: F.sent the telegram to Maxwell Perkins, who was his editor (not publisher) at the time. Perkins worked for F.'s publisher.
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2018-06-03, 22:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Ok, thank you all
Antwort: 
Sort of like the trinity  #892027
von polarjud (US), 2018-06-05, 04:59  like dislike  Spam?  
One god.  But also three.  Something to grab the reader's attention.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten