Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Luxustangente [österr.], polarjud and aphoenix ... »
« moral    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
drone  
von Deseret (SI), 2018-10-02, 10:58  like dislike  Spam?  
It disturbed the Doctor too, for when I went back to replace the candle I had taken from the table, he was patting her head, in his fatherly way, and saying he was a merciless drone to let her tempt him into reading on; and he would have her go to bed.

There are several meanings cited in dictionaries for this word and I don't know which one to pick.
Antwort: 
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/drone  #897874
von ddr (AT), 2018-10-02, 11:02  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich würde mich für verb 3.1 entscheiden und es vielleicht mit Ausbeuter übersetzen.
Antwort: 
von Prostetnik Jelzin, 2018-10-02, 12:16  like dislike  Spam?  79.251.245....
A male bee has no biological function except for procreation. I agree with referring to OED noun 3.1, but "Ausbeuter" seems a bit harsh (and evokes associations with Marxism).

It may be useful to read this passage from "Bleak House" for comparison:
http://www.literaturepage.com/read.php?titleid=dickens-bleak-house&...
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2018-10-02, 13:29  like dislike  Spam?  
My first thought was OED 3.1 as well. But I've changed my mind.

Dr. Strong (a kind and considerate school headmaster) is married to a much younger woman. He is reading to her aloud some of his manuscript notes for a Greek dictionary he's assembling, but will never finish. I think Dr. Strong means he was a merciless bore, droning on and on from his dictionary notes. I can't find anything to indicate that Dr. Strong is living off other people's efforts or money. Still not 100% sure about my take, but that's it right now.
Antwort: 
von Ursinus (GB), 2018-10-02, 15:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Agree with MichaelK. Harold Skimpole in Bleak House is indeed "a non-worker; a lazy idler, a sluggard" (OED drone, n.1, sense 2a). Dr Strong is more likely calling himself "a monotonous speaker; a drawler" (OED drone, n.2, sense 1c).
Antwort: 
low continuous humming sound  #897896
von Zuchi1, 2018-10-02, 15:22  like dislike  Spam?  62.216.202...
I think it is this: 1A   low continuous humming sound.
The example in Oxford Dictionary is quite close too, for "nodding off" means falling asleep.
‘he nodded off to the drone of the car engine’
Antwort: 
von Zuchi1, 2018-10-02, 15:38  like dislike  Spam?  62.216.202...
He read on and on in an monotonous way, and prevented her from going to bed, in that joking sense "merciless".
Antwort: 
von Prostetnik Jelzin, 2018-10-02, 16:00  like dislike  Spam?  79.251.245....
I agree, that it's not about money, more about selfish need (the doctor is obviously very fond of his manuscript) and perceives himself being inattentive to his young wife's needs (to which the era attributed no great intellectual capacity). But the humming sound is an attribute of the voice, not the person himself. This wouldn't explain the "to let her tempt him into..." part of the sentance.
Antwort: 
von Zuchi1, 2018-10-02, 17:11  like dislike  Spam?  62.216.202...
"to let her tempt him into reading on" - rhetorical justification
Antwort: 
von Zuchi1, 2018-10-02, 18:47  like dislike  Spam?  62.216.202...
correction:
in a monotonous way
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2018-10-02, 19:28  like dislike  Spam?  
Danke / Thanks

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten